Bracketology 2024

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This would be my guess as well.

Here's the last 5 (played) NCAAT Sweet 16 results (Invites/S16 Teams) by major conference (ACC, Big East, B1G, B12, P12, SEC).

ACC: 2024 (5/4), 2023 (5/1), 2022 (5/3), 2021 (7/2), 2019 (7/5) - Total (29/15) - 0.517
BE: 2024 (3/3), 2023 (5/3), 2022 (6/2), 2021 (4/2), 2019 (4/0) - Total (22/10) - 0.455
B1G: 2024 (6/2), 2023 (8/1), 2022 (9/2), 2021 (9/1), 2019 (8/3) - Total (40/9) - 0.225
B12: 2024 (8/2), 2023 (7/2), 2022 (6/3), 2021 (7/1), 2019 (6/1) - Total (35/9) - 0.257
P12: 2024 (4/1), 2023 (4/1), 2022 (3/2), 2021 (5/4), 2019 (3/1) - Total (19/9) - 0.474
SEC: 2024 (8/2), 2023 (8/3), 2022 (6/1), 2021 (6/2), 2019 (7/4) - Total (35/12) - 0.343

Not sure what all we can take from this.
1) The ACC is as competitive as any other conference, maybe more so.
2) The more teams a conference gets (obviously) the lower the percentage making the S16 will be.
3) There are 2-3 conferences that routinely place fewer teams in the S16 yet get more invitations.
4) The metrics being used are pretty obviously trash.
So they under-represented ACC teams therefore the teams that got in were on average stronger & hence performed better as expected.

The sec were over-represented therefore they got on average weaker teams in & they performed worse as expected.

Look at the worst performers, big x with .225 with 40 invitesand b12/sec it's the same dynamic. The best performers ACC, pac and big east did the best.

The selection committees are clearly taking money out of the most competitive and best performing conferences and literally giving it to the least competitive conferences. Why would they do this without it being purposeful? These overhyped, clown conferences got the selection committees & the big money media in their pockets. The ACC and other highly competitive conferences are just going to keep getting shafted.

2015 was the big FIFA RICO crackdown. When will it be time for the NCAA leadership, espn, sec, etc to take the pipe for all this graft and corruption? If I was the PAC, that's what I'd do, go after them FIFA style.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
So, even with the ACC going 8-1, we're still tied with the SEC in units($) so far with their terrible performance (5-6). Hopefully we'll see that shift as the tourney continues.
This is what happens when the SEC keeps getting a crazy # of bids. They have not done much in the tourney in the last decade but they're at the top of the unit leader board with about 32 million this year alone, way more than the rest of the power 5 that actually plays good basketball.

That’s before the 13 million the SEC has made so far this tourney, thanks to their 8 invites, even with their $hitty performance so far.
F*ck the ncaa & the selection committee.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
So they under-represented ACC teams therefore the teams that got in were on average stronger & hence performed better as expected.

The sec were over-represented therefore they got on average weaker teams in & they performed worse as expected.

Look at the worst performers, big x with .225 with 40 invitesand b12/sec it's the same dynamic. The best performers ACC, pac and big east did the best.

The selection committees are clearly taking money out of the most competitive and best performing conferences and literally giving it to the least competitive conferences. Why would they do this without it being purposeful? These overhyped, clown conferences got the selection committees & the big money media in their pockets. The ACC and other highly competitive conferences are just going to keep getting shafted.

2015 was the big FIFA RICO crackdown. When will it be time for the NCAA leadership, espn, sec, etc to take the pipe for all this graft and corruption? If I was the PAC, that's what I'd do, go after them FIFA style.
Has the NCAA done anything right recently?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Has the NCAA done anything right recently?
I would say to exclude teams based on SOS is a faulty criterion, and so is early season losses. Great teams sometimes (often) play weaker schedules. Great teams often overcome and develop over the course of the season. Look no further than the 2021 Atlanta Braves and the 2007 NY Giants.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC is unfortunately a horribly run organization.

When the Big East got 3 invites they immediately complained. Rick Pitino picked up the baton for his own team but also Seton Hall. The Big East backed him up in a diplomatic way.

The ACC, OTOH, which was criminally underrepresented should have been screaming murder and I don't think I've heard anything from the ACC itself.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The NCAA is performing its job perfectly well. Getting people to complain about the NCAA while the brands of the colleges which actually run the NCAA are untouched.
I'm definitely buying what you're sellin, chief.

But I'll challenge you to use this logic on your assessment of the folks runnin ACC.

What's their actual job, as they understand it?

'Cause I bet you, once they were assured Duke and UNC got acceptable seeds, they probably turned off the selection show and went to sleep.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The ACC once upon a time, about 30 years ago, had a guy named Tom Butters who was Dook AD and member of NCAA basketball committee. He hired Coach K and he worked out the big TV contract with CBS. He was also accused of strong arming the committee to include an inordinate number of ACC teams in the NCAAT. He left the committee in 1995 and it’s never really been the same. At that point the ACC office under Gene Corrigan, who resigned at the same time as Butters, looked after the whole conference. It was under Swofford that the ACC office seemed to favor UNC and Dook above all.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm definitely buying what you're sellin, chief.

But I'll challenge you to use this logic on your assessment of the folks runnin ACC.

What's their actual job, as they understand it?

'Cause I bet you, once they were assured Duke and UNC got acceptable seeds, they probably turned off the selection show and went to sleep.
Who are you talking about? I guarantee you Jim Phillips is not a Duke/UNC rah-rah guy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is unfortunately a horribly run organization.

When the Big East got 3 invites they immediately complained. Rick Pitino picked up the baton for his own team but also Seton Hall. The Big East backed him up in a diplomatic way.

The ACC, OTOH, which was criminally underrepresented should have been screaming murder and I don't think I've heard anything from the ACC itself.
The ACC is not underrepresented in this tournament. The ACC criminally underperformed during the regular season and was lucky to get five teams into the dance.