Bracketology 2024

slugboy

Staff member
UVA was the odd choice to start with. There were 3-4 other teams that likely would have made a better choice… Pitt mostly.
I think reputation matters at the borderline. Pitt hasn’t been a name brand basketball team that I remember. UVA won a title five years ago, with the same coach.

Maybe the committee listened to pressure to put in more SEC teams. Maybe they have a bias towards “name brands”. I think that name brands matter to them, which got UVA in and got UNC a 1 seed

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed like UVA was running a completely different offense than the two times we played them.

Those bastards looked like world-beaters both times we played them, last night they no-showed. Complete *** whoopin!
It looked to me like they were getting shots, they just could not make anything. Easy 5 fters were rimming off the front.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA was the odd choice to start with. There were 3-4 other teams that likely would have made a better choice… Pitt mostly.
At the end of the season Pitt looked like the best of the ACC bubble teams, but their SoS basically killed them. They had almost no chance to get in with their schedule.
Wake was somewhat of a similar situation. They had a weak OOC and then all their good wins happened at home. Committee always likes to see that you can beat someone on the road.

I was slightly surprised UVA got in, didn't really think they deserved to be in and they looked awful at times, but basically the fact they avoided any 'bad' losses allowed then to sneak in.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At the end of the season Pitt looked like the best of the ACC bubble teams, but their SoS basically killed them. They had almost no chance to get in with their schedule.
Wake was somewhat of a similar situation. They had a weak OOC and then all their good wins happened at home. Committee always likes to see that you can beat someone on the road.

I was slightly surprised UVA got in, didn't really think they deserved to be in and they looked awful at times, but basically the fact they avoided any 'bad' losses allowed then to sneak in.
I think the committee needs to back off the SOS thing, or at least be willing to make exceptions. Sometimes scheduling is hurt by factors beyond a team’s control. There are obviously some very good teams every year that play a weaker schedule. If they show their strength other ways they should be an exception. I think the ACC may have had 2-3 such teams this year. You mentioned two of them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think the committee needs to back off the SOS thing, or at least be willing to make exceptions. Sometimes scheduling is hurt by factors beyond a team’s control. There are obviously some very good teams every year that play a weaker schedule. If they show their strength other ways they should be an exception. I think the ACC may have had 2-3 such teams this year. You mentioned two of them.
Playing bad teams hurts unless the better team dominates in "efficiency" metrics. UVA generally does not dominate on offensive efficiency. The biggest plus is beating good OOC teams. The ACC has not been great as a conference in doing that the past few years.

I am not a fan of the Quad system as it is hard to change NET Ratings once Conference play starts.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

There isn't really any difference to a team on the NCAA bubble between a 250 or 350 SOS. They played a bunch of teams they should easily beat either way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think that is a pretty accurate reflection. After making the comment I went to look and saw those same numbers. They beat Kentucky and Tennessee once each but not much else and somehow rose as high as #11 in the nation.

Kenpom is also a bit funky. His preseason predictions clearly influence his rankings over the course of the season. Alabama a top 8 team? Michigan State a top 20 team all season? Meh…

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that is a pretty accurate reflection. After making the comment I went to look and saw those same numbers. They beat Kentucky and Tennessee once each but not much else and somehow rose as high as #11 in the nation.

Kenpom is also a bit funky. His preseason predictions clearly influence his rankings over the course of the season. Alabama a top 8 team? Michigan State a top 20 team all season? Meh…
No statistical model is perfect. It is just the best available.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Best part of the SC/ORE game was them interviewing the kid who scored 40. Said how amazing it was to play in front of his grandma for the first time ever.

Camera cuts to grandma and she's nodding off ...

Tired The Simpsons GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Wake up, Gran Gran!!