Bracketology 2024

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Shocking. The most recognizable bracketologist in the country commends the committee instead of condemning them and potentially losing any access he has.
What do you think the committee got wrong. There is very little complaining this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
What do you think the committee got wrong. There is very little complaining this year.
Consistency. The Big East was the second best league in the country behind the Big XII and they only get three teams in. For my money, both Seton Hall and Providence are better than Colorado, Mississippi State, Virginia or Texas A&M. In years passed little stock is given to conference tournament results. This year the excuse for letting the SEC teams in was because of the conference tournament despite lackluster season results. Mississippi State lost to us and Southern FFS. Granted, they blitzed Tennessee but its March and Rick Barnes still coaches the Vols. Show me an embarrassing loss on Providence's schedule.

"Don't lose in the first round of your conference tournament to bad teams" Lunardi says...

Why not? Kentucky did, on top of losing to LSU and UNC Wilmington during the season on top of going 6-6 from mid January to the third week of February and they receive a three seed?

The Mountain West gets six teams into the dance but somehow their schedules weren't good enough to the warrant anything above a five seed, that by the way went to the team that finished fifth in the conference AND two of the other MW teams are going to exotic Dayton?

There is an SEC tilt going on and Id call it appeasement.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Consistency. The Big East was the second best league in the country behind the Big XII and they only get three teams in. For my money, both Seton Hall and Providence are better than Colorado, Mississippi State, Virginia or Texas A&M. In years passed little stock is given to conference tournament results. This year the excuse for letting the SEC teams in was because of the conference tournament despite lackluster season results. Mississippi State lost to us and Southern FFS. Granted, they blitzed Tennessee but its March and Rick Barnes still coaches the Vols. Show me an embarrassing loss on Providence's schedule.

"Don't lose in the first round of your conference tournament to bad teams" Lunardi says...

Why not? Kentucky did, on top of losing to LSU and UNC Wilmington during the season on top of going 6-6 from mid January to the third week of February and they receive a three seed?

The Mountain West gets six teams into the dance but somehow their schedules weren't good enough to the warrant anything above a five seed, that by the way went to the team that finished fifth in the conference AND two of the other MW teams are going to exotic Dayton?

There is an SEC tilt going on and Id call it appeasement.
It's all about the "metrics." As you know I am not a fan of all the computer modules, football more so than basketball. The NET rankings, which I am not a fan of, have Miss St at 31, A&M at 45 while Providence is 58 ans Seaton Hall is 67. This is the problem with "metric" based systems. Once the early NET rankings come out there is little anyone can do if the conference teams have mediocre NET rankings.

There is no intentional bias by the committee. The tools they use have built in Bias. Remember, ESPN DOES NOT televise any NCAAT games so there is no money in it for them. CBS lost the SEC football contract so they have no incentive to favor the SEC.

The Big 12 has had favorable NET rankings for years. The simple answer is for Conference teams to win games against teams with high NET rankings and not lose any games against teams with low NET rankings. GT did the ACC no favors this season hanging a Quad 3 loss on Clemson and low Quad 2 losses on UNC and Duke.

Making cases for the last 4 in vs the first 4 out - they could be flipped and it would not make any difference. Probably could do it for the last 8 in and first 8 out. Very little difference in any of them.

What seems odd to me is UCONN the overall #1 seed has what appears to be a very hard bracket. Two teams from last year's final four in the 8 teams on their half of the first round East bracket plus a very dangerous Auburn as a #4 seed. Tough bracket. I still put my money on UCONN!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I never said ESPN. I said the NCAA. The bias originates from the the commissioner of the NCAA's cash cow requesting protections for SEC teams and the overtures that the Big 10 and SEC could explore the ability to secede. If that were to happen, it would cost the NCAA BILLIONS of dollars. So what do they do? They give them more teams (which know means money to the schools) they give them favorable seeds that likely result in victories (more money to the schools). The last and first four DOES matter. It's a matter of integrity but I realize when you're talking about this garbage governing body that is a bridge too far. It wont matter in five years anyway when they allow nearly 100 schools into the dance and i wont be watching anyways.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I never said ESPN. I said the NCAA. The bias originates from the the commissioner of the NCAA's cash cow requesting protections for SEC teams and the overtures that the Big 10 and SEC could explore the ability to secede. If that were to happen, it would cost the NCAA BILLIONS of dollars. So what do they do? They give them more teams (which know means money to the schools) they give them favorable seeds that likely result in victories (more money to the schools). The last and first four DOES matter. It's a matter of integrity but I realize when you're talking about this garbage governing body that is a bridge too far. It wont matter in five years anyway when they allow nearly 100 schools into the dance and i wont be watching anyways.
Tin Foil Tinfoil Hat GIF

So in football it's ESPN colluding with the SEC and in Basketball it's the NCAA colluding with the NCAA. LOL- How does the Big 12 keep getting so many teams in every year?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It's all about the "metrics." As you know I am not a fan of all the computer modules, football more so than basketball. The NET rankings, which I am not a fan of, have Miss St at 31, A&M at 45 while Providence is 58 ans Seaton Hall is 67. This is the problem with "metric" based systems. Once the early NET rankings come out there is little anyone can do if the conference teams have mediocre NET rankings.

There is no intentional bias by the committee. The tools they use have built in Bias. Remember, ESPN DOES NOT televise any NCAAT games so there is no money in it for them. CBS lost the SEC football contract so they have no incentive to favor the SEC.

The Big 12 has had favorable NET rankings for years. The simple answer is for Conference teams to win games against teams with high NET rankings and not lose any games against teams with low NET rankings. GT did the ACC no favors this season hanging a Quad 3 loss on Clemson and low Quad 2 losses on UNC and Duke.

Making cases for the last 4 in vs the first 4 out - they could be flipped and it would not make any difference. Probably could do it for the last 8 in and first 8 out. Very little difference in any of them.

What seems odd to me is UCONN the overall #1 seed has what appears to be a very hard bracket. Two teams from last year's final four in the 8 teams on their half of the first round East bracket plus a very dangerous Auburn as a #4 seed. Tough bracket. I still put my money on UCONN!
They also have Indiana State at 28, ahead of all of these teams and over a dozen “at large” selections… so it appears that the “metrics” can be selectively disregarded at someone’s discretion.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
They also have Indiana State at 28, ahead of all of these teams and over a dozen “at large” selections… so it appears that the “metrics” can be selectively disregarded at someone’s discretion.
Mid Majors who lost in their Conference Tournaments were hurt this year.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That’s the point and no one can deny it. Why is this done? The metrics are not determinative. Know what is? Conferences’ historical success in the tourny.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
When the shot clock gets close to expiring after dribbling in place, UVA throws their body into the defender and the ball flies away. In conference games they call fouls. The tournament games only called those odd plays that one season.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
When the shot clock gets close to expiring after dribbling in place, UVA throws their body into the defender and the ball flies away. In conference games they call fouls. The tournament games only called those odd plays that one season.
I felt like most games in last years tournament were track meets held in a street fight. Drawing fouls was no easy task. It’s easy to see why this approach is failing.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I felt like most games in last years tournament were track meets held in a street fight. Drawing fouls was no easy task. It’s easy to see why this approach is failing.
UVA's shots also looked like they had no chance at release. This was one of the strangest games I can recall. I know UVA has lots of bad offensive games but this was a different level of dysfunction.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UVA's shots also looked like they had no chance at release. This was one of the strangest games I can recall. I know UVA has lots of bad offensive games but this was a different level of dysfunction.
I kept thinking they might hit a FT and maybe get something going. When I turned it off, they were 4 of 10 at the line to boot. Just awful… no one had any confidence in shooting the ball from anywhere