Bracketology 2024

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is 5-5 in Quad 1 and 5-5 in Quad 2 games. That is excellent.
Clemson beat Alabama (Net #8) at Alabama. That is a very high Quad 1 win!
Clemson beat Boise State (Net #24) another Quad 1 Non Conference win.
Clemson beat TCU (Net #41) on a Neutral floor - another Quad 1 OOC win.

GT was their one "Bad" loss until BC yesterday.

Not sure what you are looking at but Clemson has a good resume. Their OOC resume is one of the top ones in the NCAA.
Im watching games. Alabama is another fraudulent team.

Michigan State is 18-13 and has lost five of their last nine and is still top 20 in Kenpom and top 25 in the NET. I don't need a computer to tell me which teams are good and which teams are not. Michigan State is not a top 25 team.

St. Marys is 8-5 against Q1+2 but also has two Q3 losses. Their strength of schedule is 87. They played a decent OOC schedule but went 3-4 against New Mexico, Utah, Xavier, UNLV, San Diego State, Boise State and Colorado State. Are they good? Sure. Are they a top 15 team in the nation because they dethroned Gonzaga? Not in my eyes.

slugboy

Staff member

Michigan State is 18-13 and has lost five of their last nine and is still top 20 in Kenpom and top 25 in the NET. I don't need a computer to tell me which teams are good and which teams are not. Michigan State is not a top 25 team.

St. Marys is 8-5 against Q1+2 but also has two Q3 losses. Their strength of schedule is 87. They played a decent OOC schedule but went 3-4 against New Mexico, Utah, Xavier, UNLV, San Diego State, Boise State and Colorado State. Are they good? Sure. Are they a top 15 team in the nation because they dethroned Gonzaga? Not in my eyes.
Gonzaga this year isn’t the #1 seed I’ve been used to. Probably a 5 or 6 seed.

Not that I wouldn’t love to have our down years be like their down years

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

I am not a fan of the Quad system but it’s what the NCAA uses.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I am not a fan of the Quad system but it’s what the NCAA uses.
Yeah its an effective sorting tool. My comment about fraudulence pertains more to my confidence in picking those teams once the tournament begins, not their worthiness of being included. I should have been more clear about that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, maybe UNC, Duke, Clemson, UVA, Pitt in the tournament? NCST might even win the automatic bid (and maybe bump Pitt out in the process)?

Updated at midnight this morning:

I don't think Pitt gets an invite, but they are definitely not in if NCSU wins the ACCT. When was the last time a play-in team won the conference championship?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Online research:

"No double-digit seed has ever won a Power Six conference tournament. On only five occasions has a double-digit seed reached the conference tournament finals (Big Ten, 3; ACC, 1; Big 12, 1)."

The game last night reminded me of ACC Tournament games of the past. Tonight's game will be loaded with emotion.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Another point from my online research. The selection committee will complete the brackets tonight. The only changes tomorrow will be upset induced during Sunday games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow did Bennett blow the end of regulation with 3 fouls to give against NCSU. If his guys had hit their FT's, it wouldn't have mattered. Cannot stress the importance of FT's in tight games and the way UVA plays, they are naturally in a lot of tight games.
I see your point, but when McKneely missed that FT State only had 4 seconds and O'Connell was not close to a defender until he was shooting. I think UVA played that correctly. You don't want a flagrant in that spot. McKneely was also the player guarding O'Connell on that play.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I see your point, but when McKneely missed that FT State only had 4 seconds and O'Connell was not close to a defender until he was shooting. I think UVA played that correctly. You don't want a flagrant in that spot. McKneely was also the player guarding O'Connell on that play.
Three rules to live by: 1. Never acknowledge The Godfather: Part III. 2. Never waste calories on pizza outside of the Eastern Time Zone. 3. ALWAYS foul up three late.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Three rules to live by: 1. Never acknowledge The Godfather: Part III. 2. Never waste calories on pizza outside of the Eastern Time Zone. 3. ALWAYS foul up three late.
You ought to attribute this to Rothstein when you post it here. He doesn't have much worth quoting, so give him credit when you use it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't have to be flagrant if going for the ball. I need to watch a replay to see what UVA did after the miss. Should have been man to man immediately after the miss under the basket. NCSU made a great play at the end.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Our friends UMass-Lowell lead @Vermont at half in the America East Championship. I was very impressed with them when they visited McCamish - not surprised they are on the verge of an autobid.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
My 3 are: 1. Never buy cheap toilet paper. 2. Never buy a cheap mattress - a third of your life is spent in bed. 3. Never back the person that tells you what they are going to do (some people will just tell you what you want to hear to get your support)...back the person that tells you how they are going to do things. And this goes for everything in life, not just politics.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I think UVA is out. Pit seems a better choice than UVA & has a much higher NET. Both are on the bubble & both may be left out.
Hope State beats uncheats that will at least guarantee ACC gets 4 teams. Tech could use that NCAA $. Hope the ACC teams go as far as possible in the dance. Why do I have a feeling that even though there are 4 regions, the selection committee will double up ACC teams in a region?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Princeton (24-4) lost to Brown (13-17) in an Ivy semi today. Lunardi had Princeton in as a 12 seed as the Ivy champion. Do they snag an at large?