Bracket Challenge

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to mention this yesterday. I was at will call getting my tickets and a Syracuse fab says to me “Georgia Tech?!? You guys are horrible!”
I said “Ya you’re right but we’ve beat your *** the last 2 years though....”. And then it was an awkward silence from him and his friends. Lol
Why you gotta out me like that, bruh?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the Sweet 16 breakdown by conference

4 ACC (Duke, Syracuse, Clemson, Florida State)
4 Big12 (West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St.)
2 SEC (Kentucky, Texas A&M)
2 Big Ten (Michigan, Purdue)
1 Big East (Villanova)
1 MWC (Nevada)
1 MVC (Loyola-Chicago Ramblers)
1 WCC (Gonzaga)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Agree with pretty much all you said but this statement is the first time you sounded like the rest of us slack-jawed yokels. Congrats? (y)

That Xavier/FSU game was really weird. It just felt like XU was in total control despite whatever the score was but ... they just lost the game. Strange.

That heated moment where Hamilton tossed Charlton aside and grabbed the one kid in the huddle was pretty funny. Evoked images of CPJ's old school yanking kids face masks. I loved it. He'll probably have to apologize. :rolleyes:

Nice. Aye, on another note, how's all the Sparty fans taking the L so far?
Not good. That was Izzos most talented team since 2001. A lot of favs are questioning his ability to coach 5* type kids. Bridges didn’t improve. Josh Jackson has no business thinking of the NBA. The coaching yesterday was bad. Most are saying that was Izzos last shot at a National title. The early exits the last few years on top of the off court stuff have some Sparty fans upset.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
You don't have to lie to the man. He's knows Cuse fans are turds.
I will say the Michigan fans that bought tickets just to hope they could see State lose were about as bad if not worse than any UGA fan I have seen. Flat out pathetic. Between that BS win Saturday and the fans yesterday I went from disliking UM to flat out hating them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not good. That was Izzos most talented team since 2001. A lot of favs are questioning his ability to coach 5* type kids. Bridges didn’t improve. Josh Jackson has no business thinking of the NBA. The coaching yesterday was bad. Most are saying that was Izzos last shot at a National title. The early exits the last few years on top of the off court stuff have some Sparty fans upset.

That's what I figured. Bridges came into the season as a potential top10 pick and he's falling fast. I never saw the JJJ guy as anything but the latest low-skill, college pogo stick set to become an NBA afterthought but he had garnered top 5 "hype". That last game may have extinguished all that.

With the Nassar stuff and this flame out, Izzo is as close to being "in trouble" as he's probably ever been.

I will say the Michigan fans that bought tickets just to hope they could see State lose were about as bad if not worse than any UGA fan I have seen. Flat out pathetic. Between that BS win Saturday and the fans yesterday I went from disliking UM to flat out hating them.

Yesh, yesh, let the hate flow within you.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Izzo's biggest blunder which I haven't seen talked about... with State's depth and desire to up the tempo, why in the heck would you not press Syracuse for 40 min? Let alone... why in the heck would you not press Syracuse when they have literally one scholarship guard, a shooting guard no less, for the last 7 minutes of the game. It was Battle and a walk-on in the back court.

A Spartan friend posted this... Izzo is 2-23 vs. Coach K, Roy Williams and Boeheim. Crazy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Izzo's biggest blunder which I haven't seen talked about... with State's depth and desire to up the tempo, why in the heck would you not press Syracuse for 40 min? Let alone... why in the heck would you not press Syracuse when they have literally one scholarship guard, a shooting guard no less, for the last 7 minutes of the game. It was Battle and a walk-on in the back court.

A Spartan friend posted this... Izzo is 2-23 vs. Coach K, Roy Williams and Boeheim. Crazy.

Stealing that fact...

Deleted member 2897

Here's the Sweet 16 breakdown by conference

4 ACC (Duke, Syracuse, Clemson, Florida State)
4 Big12 (West Virginia, Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St.)
2 SEC (Kentucky, Texas A&M)
2 Big Ten (Michigan, Purdue)
1 Big East (Villanova)
1 MWC (Nevada)
1 MVC (Loyola-Chicago Ramblers)
1 WCC (Gonzaga)

Wow. How the mighty Big East and Pac-12 have fallen.

The Big12 had a bit of an assist as K-State got to play a 16 and West Virginia got to play a 13.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
After watching the Syracuse MSU game I started to think if we had gotten in the tournament last year (2016) we might have one a game or two with the way we played D and muck up a game. State looked all out of sync and looked likes it’s never seen a zone before.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree with pretty much all you said but this statement is the first time you sounded like the rest of us slack-jawed yokels. Congrats? (y)

That Xavier/FSU game was really weird. It just felt like XU was in total control despite whatever the score was but ... they just lost the game. Strange.

That heated moment where Hamilton tossed Charlton aside and grabbed the one kid in the huddle was pretty funny. Evoked images of CPJ's old school yanking kids face masks. I loved it. He'll probably have to apologize. :rolleyes:

Nice. Aye, on another note, how's all the Sparty fans taking the L so far?

Maybe just a little of my anti-SEC bias leaking through.
Probably the next best was the UVA Game (and i'm a Bennett fan) - the fans weren't even crying - it was just the utter shock on their faces, the disbelief. Don't blame them though, that team had just looked so strong all year long and then played the worst game i've seen a UVA team play in 2-3 yrs.

Deleted member 2897

Probably the next best was the UVA Game (and i'm a Bennett fan) - the fans weren't even crying - it was just the utter shock on their faces, the disbelief. Don't blame them though, that team had just looked so strong all year long and then played the worst game i've seen a UVA team play in 2-3 yrs.

Its hard in many sports to get a big upset. Basketball is unique in that if you get in a rhythm, you can hit all kinds of stuff. You really can't just throw up hail marys in football. Its what makes the NCAA Tournament so fun - any team can win on any given day. Its about matchups too. Its one thing that makes it so incredible to be national champion. To win 6 straight times through all those random matchups of teams that you mostly have never seen before and have little time to scout, and people getting hot, etc.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

RRed is human? Who knew?

Agree the Cavs fans had no idea how to react. It's like they didn't think it was real.

Its hard in many sports to get a big upset. Basketball is unique in that if you get in a rhythm, you can hit all kinds of stuff. You really can't just throw up hail marys in football. Its what makes the NCAA Tournament so fun - any team can win on any given day. Its about matchups too. Its one thing that makes it so incredible to be national champion. To win 6 straight times through all those random matchups of teams that you mostly have never seen before and have little time to scout, and people getting hot, etc.

In addition to what you mention, I think a major factor is the talent-drain at the NCAA level which has become drastic in the last few years. Good freshmen are sure to leave. Improving sophomores are sure to leave. The sport is bleeding out and the only thing covering the wound is a used 'Hello Kitty' band-aid.

My UVA hatred aside, let's be honest, UVA wasn't a real 1-seed. Can you imagine the *gag* Laettner-led Duke teams losing to a team like UMBC? Think about that the Augmon-led UNLV teams would've done to that UMBC squad. It would've been criminal. Shiiiii, what would Lethal Weapon 3 have done to the Retrievers and they were a 4-seed?

People talk about parity but it's out of control and it's just plain awful for cbb which is the first sport I ever grew to love :)(). I gotta log off ... it's a little dusty in here.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’s the single most unfair way to decide a National Champion in all of sports both professionally and collegiately. But it is fun to watch.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Stealing that fact...
Be careful calling it a "fact". Just did a quick Google verification... obviously the most legit way to ensure it's not fake news.

Looks like Izzo is anywhere from 2-21 to 4-23 against those 3 coaches. I am going to assume CBS verified its info for yesterday's game so I can at least say he is now 1-5 against Boeheim.

According to thespun:
Izzo is now 1-5 against Boeheim. He’s also 2-7 against Roy Williams – and 1-7 since Williams got to North Carolina. He’s 1-11 against Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

All in, he’s 4-23 against Boeheim, Williams and Krzyzewski. It’s a tough statistic for a coach who’s dominated his field for over 20 years.
http://thespun.com/news/tom-izzo-record-krzyzewski-williams-boeheim

Either way, the larger point stands. Not good.

slugboy

Staff member
Be careful calling it a "fact". Just did a quick Google verification... obviously the most legit way to ensure it's not fake news.

Looks like Izzo is anywhere from 2-21 to 4-23 against those 3 coaches. I am going to assume CBS verified its info for yesterday's game so I can at least say he is now 1-5 against Boeheim.

According to thespun:

http://thespun.com/news/tom-izzo-record-krzyzewski-williams-boeheim

Either way, the larger point stands. Not good.
It's kind of like the Marv Levy/Jim Kelly Buffalo Bills--people remember them for losing a bunch of Super Bowls, but the get very little credit for making it to a bunch of them. His "big game" numbers need work, but at least he played in them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's kind of like the Marv Levy/Jim Kelly Buffalo Bills--people remember them for losing a bunch of Super Bowls, but the get very little credit for making it to a bunch of them. His "big game" numbers need work, but at least he played in them.

Dude can coach. Can’t argue with 7 final fours and 1 national championship. HOF career.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Dude can coach. Can’t argue with 7 final fours and 1 national championship. HOF career.
That’s the thing I’m not getting with some State fans. I wish we had that problem but on the flip side I can see why they’d want to win more than once and the last 3 years haven’t been to well in the tournament. MTSU in the first round, Sweet 16 last year and 2nd round this year. I think he’s more comfortable with the 3&4* kids that he can coach up and not the potential 1 and dones like Jackson and Bridges.