Bowling Green

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
If we lose at Home to BG it would be a travesty. That being said, BG won yesterday but gave up 389 yards on the ground to Eastern Kentucky. Let's just say that we may rush for 600 plus.
Maybe, but there are no guarantees with this team. I wouldn't be surprised if we won by 20 or lost. Heck, there are no guarantees in GT football period, other than great disappointment and excitement.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes we will beat BG. Call me crazy, and maybe this is a bit too optimistic, but I have a feeling of a GT win against Clemson. Of course, the mind says no, but the heart says "please be yes!".
I hope you are right. I turned off CPJ after this last game but I still want to win every game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Auburn would be a very fun game. Tennessee...it will take a while for me to warm up to them after last year.

My rationale for Auburn is simple. We are similar in terms of being the second team in each state, more of a technical than professional orientation, we shared the same coach (Heisman) and ... we recruit in the same geography. Kids want to be seen by their friends ... and GT Auburn would be a great one.

I attended several in the old days. Loved them. More exciting than Bowling Green.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
TCU isn’t a factory school but they compete every year. Patterson is just a great defensive mind and can spot and develop underrated talent.

It’s crazy to think he and PJ have similarly length tenures. One is regarded as a God by fans and the other is sticking around because ADs give him mindless contract extensions.

i think PJ and Patterson are buds. I've heard PJ mention him once or twice. PJ is good friends with Mike Smith, the ex Falcons coach.
Though Patterson has his rep as a defensive coach, TCU's offense is overlooked. It's good.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No game is a given for any team. That is why you play them. You can never predict what might happen. We could finish 11 and 2 or we could finish 1 and 11. This team in particular has no sense of direction right now and can easily find a way to lose any game but on the other hand, we have enough talent and potential to win most any game if the ball bounces our way.

To me, each game is like a chapter in a book. You hope the plot will build and have a happy ending but having read many GT books before you know there is just as much of a chance that the plane will hit the mountain and there will be no survivors. There is really nothing you can do about it other than watch with interest and pull for the boys in white and gold. Might as well try to enjoy it to the extent possible for after all it is for entertainment purposes. If it ruins your day it's best to look away for awhile and check back later when things are going more to your liking.

In any event it will be interesting to see how this team responds to the adversity encountered so far. Hopefully they will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and write some exciting chapters for the remainder of the 2018 book.

Go Jackets!

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Tech should be about 8-3 every year. Beat the teams we should beat and lose to the factories. We simply have zero consistency after 11 years.

I can’t believe anyone would think that GT has some birthright to an automatic 8 wins every year.

Please go look at the teams that have done that over a stretch of time more than a couple years. There’s very few.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can’t believe anyone would think that GT has some birthright to an automatic 8 wins every year.

Please go look at the teams that have done that over a stretch of time more than a couple years. There’s very few.

OTOH, we fired a guy who never won less than 7 per year during his time here just over a decade ago.*

*No, I don't want him back.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
My rationale for Auburn is simple. We are similar in terms of being the second team in each state, more of a technical than professional orientation, we shared the same coach (Heisman) and ... we recruit in the same geography. Kids want to be seen by their friends ... and GT Auburn would be a great one.

I attended several in the old days. Loved them. More exciting than Bowling Green.

You realize that we lose to MUCH lesser teams regularly. Do you want to pencil in another likely loss, because losing to Auburn would be more exciting than playing (and likely winning) with Bowling Green?

Animal02

Banned
You realize that we lose to MUCH lesser teams regularly. Do you want to pencil in another likely loss, because losing to Auburn would be more exciting than playing (and likely winning) with Bowling Green?
And then they would complain about not making a bowl game. :rolleyes:
The craziest comment was that Tech is similar to Auburn. :LOL:

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
But then you have people complaing we don't schedule Auburn and Bama etc.

Clemson/UGA > or = Auburn/Bama in any given year nowadays, right? Those teams plus a Tennessee, Auburn, or maybe a South Carolina every now and then make a very solid schedule. Add Notre Dame in the rotation every few years. I don’t think we have a problem with having great teams on our schedule.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I do. Have you been to South and West Georgia and talked to high school kids? I have. They want to play against their friends. And their friends play at those schools. None of them give a rip about Boston College, Va Tech or gasp, Miami. We do not play a schedule that is conducive to recruiting in our area.

What I find amazing is ... “Boo hoo, we can never compete against Tennessee or Auburn”. Well, we damn near beat TN and frankly, should have.

Lastly, when I played sports, our AD insisted on playing the best teams, not the weakest. “Playing the best will raise your game.” I think that’s true.

Animal02

Banned
Clemson/UGA > or = Auburn/Bama in any given year nowadays, right? Those teams plus a Tennessee, Auburn, or maybe a South Carolina every now and then make a very solid schedule. Add Notre Dame in the rotation every few years. I don’t think we have a problem with having great teams on our schedule.
I agree that we have a pretty solid schedule. There are posters here that want to replace the Bowling Greens and Alcorn States on the schedule with an additional Auburn and Bama type game, (ignoring the fact that there is more money made with the extra home game every year) I don't know why they think it would be exciting to have the stadium filled with opposing fans. These are the same people that would be first in line to whine about not making a bowl game.
Do I like the FCS games....not really, but unless the NCAA changes something.....wanting to tie one hand behind our back is beyond silly.
(I have posted in the past that a simple fix would be to disallow FCS games wrt to playing for the NC, but still count them toward bowl eligibility.....it would solve much of the problem)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Fair enough. But do we have a recruitable schedule? Go talk to the high schools. I asked a head coach who I’ve known for 44 years, “How many willl consider Tech?” Answer: “Zero.”

Animal02

Banned
Yes, I do. Have you been to South and West Georgia and talked to high school kids? I have. They want to play against their friends. And their friends play at those schools. None of them give a rip about Boston College, Va Tech or gasp, Miami. We do not play a schedule that is conducive to recruiting in our area.

What I find amazing is ... “Boo hoo, we can never compete against Tennessee or Auburn”. Well, we damn near beat TN and frankly, should have.

Lastly, when I played sports, our AD insisted on playing the best teams, not the weakest. “Playing the best will raise your game.” I think that’s true.
First, we are in the ACC, so playing Pitt, BC etc are a given. Those Western Ga kids you speak of simply are not a good fit for Tech in the first place. Your comment just goes to prove that Tech should be recruiting nationally for top student athletes that want a top education, not kids that want to play in front of friends

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
First, we are in the ACC, so playing Pitt, BC etc are a given. Those Western Ga kids you speak of simply are not a good fit for Tech in the first place. Your comment just goes to prove that Tech should be recruiting nationally for top student athletes that want a top education, not kids that want to play in front of friends

Fair enough. But we don’t. And honestly, I have never heard anyone from the AA articulate a strategy.