Bowling Green Post Game... šŸ˜¢

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Very annoyed at the result but this is what happens when you cant recruit and have to rely on the transfer portal. It took 4-5 defenders to take down their RB after he would go down field for 7+ yards on multiple plays. Yea coaching probably has a lot to do with it but we have no OLine/DLine/Linebackers. Brooks was the guy getting most of the tackles, no reason the RB should be making it that far down field on multiple plays. NIL and conference realignment will be the end of GT.

Sadly the only way for GT football to start gaining relevance is for the state of GA to elect a democratic governor, not from Athens CC. BOR is royally ****ing GT and GT leadership is spreading the cheeks and taking it.
WT? Does the political party of the Governor have to do with it? Been that way for 60+ years re: BOR favoritism.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe we need to afford every coach that ONE game that we'll excuse and pretend it doesn't exist. Middle Tennessee State for CPJ, Citadel for that last guy (among 383 others), now this for Key. Ignorance is bliss.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think he is serious but then again he might be. Coach Key has dug himself a serious hole with this fan base and needs to address these issues. There are players who are not giving their best and need to be riding the pine.
Unless things improve drastically on defense Thacker needs to be on a very hot seat at the end of this season otherwise Coach Key should be on that hot seat instead.

Iā€™ve been wondering why Key retained Thacker and Iā€™m increasingly convinced it was to buy time and maybe it was a brilliant move. Key needs at least a year if not more to get the players in shape after the disaster of the last 3 years. And he knew this year could be ugly.

Keeping Thacker on meant he has someone to sacrifice at the alter at the end of the season if things indeed did get ugly to pacify the GT fandom gods and buy another couple of years.

Weā€™ve already seen significant improvement on the offensive side of the ball. If we donā€™t see any improvement on defense (although to be fair I have seen some glimmers of hope in the last couple of games), then getting a new DC buys another 2 years at least as long as the offensive improvement continues.

FencePost

Banned
We obviously don't have talent on the roster when every transfer you bring in starts over the guys already here.
And it only gets worse with each loss, each losing season. A team's rep affects who it will attract. Key doesn't have the intellect to win with sub-par players AND he isn't capable of inspiring (breaking that barrier) to recruit exceptional talent. Even if he finishes 6-6, so what? Is that really promising. Tech is, arguably, in the weakest power-5 conference, then adds 3 'patsy' games to the schedule. A bad coach should go 7-5.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
And it only gets worse with each loss, each losing season. A team's rep affects who it will attract. Key doesn't have the intellect to win with sub-par players AND he isn't capable of inspiring (breaking that barrier) to recruit exceptional talent. Even if he finishes 6-6, so what? Is that really promising. Tech is, arguably, in the weakest power-5 conference, then adds 3 'patsy' games to the schedule. A bad coach should go 7-5.
Go root for the team in the cesspool. Your attitude about these coaches is garbage

FencePost

Banned
Stoops has been at Kentucky for 10 years heā€™s had time to build Kentucky to what they are today. Kentucky was also in much better shape when he got there than what Ga Tech is today. Give Brent Key 3 years and you will see Ga Tech fighting for the ACC Division championship. I donā€™t like talking bad and being negative about Ga Tech because I love ā€˜em but man this team was in horrible shape this time last year and weā€™re 6-7 the last 13 games. Nick Saban was 7-6 his first year at Alabama with 4* talent at every position 2 deep. Thatā€™s not what Brent Key inherited. Thereā€™s also a reason why Nick Saban went to alabama. Brent Key took on a challenge that most coaches wonā€™t take including Nick Saban.
Ten years, eh, to get to Kentucky's level. Such low expectations. I'll be dead in 10 years, thank you.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, well I saw it in December of 2018. After putting up with bad late game decisions from Johnson for years, I then dropped my head when I saw them hire a doofuss from Western Carolina. My experience told me he wasn't the one. I remember when I knew it was the one. When in the late 80's I heard on the radio that Curry was gone, and they'd hired Bobby Ross. At that very moment, on I-85 southbound, I said yipee!!!! So glad Curry was gone, and said to myself that Ross would put us back up . . . and did he ever! So, I trust my intuition (knowledge), AND KEY isn't the one. So, you can just keep on digging the hole, OR say WE ucked up again, and go find a REAL coach.
Why did you wait so long to tell us that Key was the wrong hire? I mean, youā€™re obviously the smartest poster on this board; you should post more often than once or twice every 8 years.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, well I saw it in December of 2018. After putting up with bad late game decisions from Johnson for years, I then dropped my head when I saw them hire a doofuss from Western Carolina. My experience told me he wasn't the one. I remember when I knew it was the one. When in the late 80's I heard on the radio that Curry was gone, and they'd hired Bobby Ross. At that very moment, on I-85 southbound, I said yipee!!!! So glad Curry was gone, and said to myself that Ross would put us back up . . . and did he ever! So, I trust my intuition (knowledge), AND KEY isn't the one. So, you can just keep on digging the hole, OR say WE ucked up again, and go find a REAL coach.

So you had these same intuitions after Ross started out 2-9, 3-8 and 7-4? Especially after Curry was 9-2 and then 5-5. Mighty bold after a 6-7 start for Key to call him a lemon

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I still remember when folks with your mentality downplayed CPJ , and were proved wrong . While many even after an orange bowl win, still couldn't be happy.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
what we're your thoughts on O'leary or Gailey?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Iā€™ve been wondering why Key retained Thacker and Iā€™m increasingly convinced it was to buy time and maybe it was a brilliant move. Key needs at least a year if not more to get the players in shape after the disaster of the last 3 years. And he knew this year could be ugly.

Keeping Thacker on meant he has someone to sacrifice at the alter at the end of the season if things indeed did get ugly to pacify the GT fandom gods and buy another couple of years.

Weā€™ve already seen significant improvement on the offensive side of the ball. If we donā€™t see any improvement on defense (although to be fair I have seen some glimmers of hope in the last couple of games), then getting a new DC buys another 2 years at least as long as the offensive improvement continues.
This was always what it was.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Was watching the espn % and posting it to chat. Chat matched % till just after half time. Then chat went to zero in a few plays. Then screaming.

Over at rivals kelky posted interesting rresults 3rd down for BG. Several of the very short thrid downs became first downs on 8,10,20 yd passes. Seems like they were willing to take risks.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not going to respond to the Fire-the-Coachers or the Eeyores, but there is no sugarcoating this one. And I like the stats when they give true insight.
The problem with many stats is that they are averages, and don't take into account other key aspects of the game. For example, between our defense and their penalties, we had BG in third and very long a good bit. But this doesn't tell the whole story. This is a meaningful defensive stat:
3rd Down Success RateBG: 55% 83rd %ileGT: 27% 14th %ile

Similarly, we moved the ball pretty well through the air and thus had a lot of passing yards. But the pick-six, the other interception in the red zone, and the failed (twice) short-yardage QB sneaks in the red zone meant that several scoring opportunities were wasted. The stats also don't describe how we took this game for granted (admitted by our defensive leaders), lost focus after going up two scores, and BG played with greater intensity.

We have so far this season been able to overcome deficiencies in some areas (special teams, tackling, etc.) with strengths in others. Not always enough to win the game, but enough to keep from embarrassing ourselves. What this game showed is that we are not a good enough team to win when our QB has a bad day. And he had an uncharacteristically bad one. Let's hope he can put it behind him.

While I'm not convinced Key is the right coach long-term, he has earned a little patience from me. Perhaps because the bar was set so low by the previous regime. But he is taking ownership and I believe he is holding his players and coaching team accountable. Also, and more importantly for the long-term, Cabrera has shown he is not willing to let things go too long without taking action, unlike prior admins.
Bad day for the sophmore qb?
Look up ACC stats - the not perfect qb is at top of acc with all the preseason glamorized qbs. This kid was in cellar at start of season.

He has
No running game, same first down rpo up middle, zero red zone push from ol, haas to spread passes to 1receivers ( no stud who requires double coverage).

Based on last few years i am ecstatic about the gt passing game. Qb makes deep throws, moves in pocket, throws accurate short range, wants to win. He can be a leader to better things.

Biggest hope
I hope that donors $$ help Angel
and
Angel navigates the gt "has 85 paid" football players but "at gt are the last institute" to be more dynamic w thier academics.

Last edited:

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ten years, eh, to get to Kentucky's level. Such low expectations. I'll be dead in 10 years, thank you.
You may have unrealistic expectations in todayā€™s college football. I put up a video of Urban Meyer yesterday explaining what the 3 groups goals are in conferences and imo Ga Tech falls into winning the division and fighting for an ACC championship. Ga Tech isnā€™t built to win NCā€™s because they canā€™t get the talent that it takes. Sure they can sneak up and beat Georgia or any other team on any given day but getting into the playoffs when the intensity of the game is sky high I just donā€™t see it happening in a 12 team playoff system. Way too many hurdles. Ga Tech will always fight hard to win but we have to be realistic about what our goals are. The great Ball coach Steve Spurrier said ā€œthe goal when the season starts is to win the conferenceā€ he knew how hard it was after that. Brother, what you seen happen under George Oā€™Leary and CPJ is as good as itā€™s going to get. Get behind this team and letā€™s try and get 6 winsā€¦thatā€™s the goal this year!