Bowling Green Post Game... 😢

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have a realistic attitude in Ga Tech Football. The great George O’Leary, Ralph Freidgen and CPJ, 3 of the best coaches to ever step on a football field didn’t win a NC as head coach coaching the big boys so that tells me how hard it is to win a NC at Ga Tech, UCF and Maryland. If these 3 dudes didn’t get it done when looking at their track records, it’s a gigantic uphill battle. IMO Ga Tech’s goal is to win the division and fight for the ACC championship every year. Because of the school work it’s hard to get the top talent on defense. Ga Tech is up there with Stanford and Purdue and them 2 teams ain’t goi g to win a NC either…sorry but they just ain’t. Brent Key does have O’Leary, Freidgen and Saban blood in him so if I’m telling you I was wrong in a few years…. I’m okay with it 😁
FYI, there are no divisions anymore and I don't expect to see them reinstated.
To make it to the championship game you have to be one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

My expectation is that GT should make it to a bowl game consistently (say 4 out of every 5 years) and avg around 7-8 wins over a 5 yr period. Given the current setup, making the conference championship game once a decade might be likely.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
No? Well, I'll give my closet a look. Surely I've got a more attractive ridiculous hyperbole in there somewhere.
If yours is moth eaten, I've got something you can borrow......

Interested I Like It GIF by UFC

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI, there are no divisions anymore and I don't expect to see them reinstated.
To make it to the championship game you have to be one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

My expectation is that GT should make it to a bowl game consistently (say 4 out of every 5 years) and avg around 7-8 wins over a 5 yr period. Given the current setup, making the conference championship game once a decade might be likely.
My bad on that. I’m a NASCAR fan I go to both Talladega and Atlanta races and I’ve been to the Daytona 500 the last 2 years and I don’t know the rules for how racing works anymore I just enjoy going just like I enjoy watching Ga Tech football. I definitely don’t keep up with all the college football chaos with all the rules but I probably should’ve know that. I wish the big 10 took the top 2 teams that way it keeps Purdue and NW out of the conference championship games. I don’t eat and sleep the rule books anymore I just usually pay attention to my teams. I still believe the goal is get one of the top 2 spots and go from there. Thank buddy

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2022GeorgiaCFP
2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006Florida
Stars matter brother just look back to 2006. These results of talent do not lie. You gotta have the players.
Stars matter to factories who accumulate 4 and 5 stars like peanuts. Do you see any non factories on that list? You may "gotta" have the players all you want but Tech and the rest of the bottom feeders are not getting that level of talent.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So you had these same intuitions after Ross started out 2-9, 3-8 and 7-4? Especially after Curry was 9-2 and then 5-5. Mighty bold after a 6-7 start for Key to call him a lemon
The year before the national championship, Tech played Maryland fairly early in the season and won a game that years prior we would have lost. From that point on, the team got better and better on both sides of the ball and on special teams. It was a remarkable turnaround and illustrates how SOMETIMES these things change over the course of one or two wins that electrify a locker room.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
My bad on that. I’m a NASCAR fan I go to both Talladega and Atlanta races and I’ve been to the Daytona 500 the last 2 years and I don’t know the rules for how racing works anymore I just enjoy going just like I enjoy watching Ga Tech football. I definitely don’t keep up with all the college football chaos with all the rules but I probably should’ve know that. I wish the big 10 took the top 2 teams that way it keeps Purdue and NW out of the conference championship games. I don’t eat and sleep the rule books anymore I just usually pay attention to my teams. I still believe the goal is get one of the top 2 spots and go from there. Thank buddy
The year before the national championship, Tech played Maryland fairly early in the season and won a game that years prior we would have lost. From that point on, the team got better and better on both sides of the ball and on special teams. It was a remarkable turnaround and illustrates how SOMETIMES these things change over the course of one or two wins that electrify a locker room.
Stars matter to factories who accumulate 4 and 5 stars like peanuts. Do you see any non factories on that list? You may "gotta" have the players all you want but Tech and the rest of the bottom feeders are not getting that level of talent.
To my untrained eye, pass blocking has seemed better than run blocking this year.
IMO the OL is pretty dang good. It’s not like we’ve been playing bad teams every week we’ve had 3 tough teams we just had a bad game last week on offense and it beat us. We all know we have to play good on offense to win. The offense won’t play bad every week and we will win some more games. After Louisville, Ole Miss and Wake on the road the team might need some rest that’s 3 pretty good teams.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
IMO the OL is pretty dang good. It’s not like we’ve been playing bad teams every week we’ve had 3 tough teams we just had a bad game last week on offense and it beat us. We all know we have to play good on offense to win. The offense won’t play bad every week and we will win some more games. After Louisville, Ole Miss and Wake on the road the team might need some rest that’s 3 pretty good teams.
Your positive outlook does you credit. This week on College Football News ranking of teams from 1 to 133 Tech is ranked #76. Not that I would give much credence to CFN but they try to keep track of all these teams. That said, some of the ones ranked ahead of us should give us pause. Wyoming, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Troy, Bowling Green (natch), Miami of Ohio, you get the drift. Personally, I think CFN is being generous in ranking us in only in the bottom half instead of the bottom two-thirds.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There's the Curry losses and then the ones recently. MTSU was a very good team and it was embarassing to lose to them, but they were a very good team that year. Gardener was a win, yeah not a great game but still a win. Here's the worst going from absolute worst to slightly less worse:

1981 loss to 1-10 Memphis was rock bottom #1, no question. Bad loss to an epically bad team.

Next up was probably the 17-17 tie in 1986 against Furman barely edging out the 1983 loss because that GT team was way worse. Also, they should have remembered the effort in '83 and not doubled down on being embarassed again by the same 1aa team. Note coming off the 1990 NC, we almost lost to Furman the next year also.

4th worst loss for me was not Citadel but 2021 Northern Illinois. We were tired of that staff and they crappes the bed on a relatively easy W. NIU coach said at halftime they were going to physically beat us worse than the 1st half and win the game. Nothing worse than an opposing coach saying you're weak, then turning around and absolutely whipping your ***. That could merit moving this loss to #2.

Citadel 2019 is #5. Mocking the style of the team, then getting your *** beaten by it could merit being moved up to #3.

VT skunking us at home is at least #6. As with the 2 above, the historic nature of the *** whipping could merit it being as high as 4th worst.
I think this about covers it but ranking losses is a perilous business. A really bad loss that you were actually present for seems to always stick with people as opposed to just watching, as bad as it can be, on television. The 1981 loss was remarked upon by Curry or Dodd can't remember which as being significant because it seemed to them that Memphis State as bad as they were, had better athletes. The Furman debacles were pretty bad as well. It is kind of bad when you are being taunted by the likes of Northern Illinois. The latest one by Bowling Green does not quite match the ones you listed but could be in the top ten just on how shocking it was. A bad loss to a bad team is never good.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Your positive outlook does you credit. This week on College Football News ranking of teams from 1 to 133 Tech is ranked #76. Not that I would give much credence to CFN but they try to keep track of all these teams. That said, some of the ones ranked ahead of us should give us pause. Wyoming, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Troy, Bowling Green (natch), Miami of Ohio, you get the drift. Personally, I think CFN is being generous in ranking us in only in the bottom half instead of the bottom two-thirds.
For the talent level at Ga Tech today the schedule has been pretty tough. I really thought we would be a little better on defense because the defense played okay last year. For top 10 ranked team the schedule would be average. I honestly don’t think things are that doom and gloom we just had a bad game Saturday. It’s an uphill battle beating Miami but we’ll gets some more wins I’m just hoping to get 6 wins and get this team in a bowl.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
In an effort to try and maintain some form of optimism you can also look at Louisville and Ole Miss in those rankings, 29 and 15 respectively, and we definitely were in those games and it's not a stretch to say we could've won either or both. The atrocious game against BG is very hard to look over but it's still the same team that played those much higher ranked teams tight.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In an effort to try and maintain some form of optimism you can also look at Louisville and Ole Miss in those rankings, 29 and 15 respectively, and we definitely were in those games and it's not a stretch to say we could've won either or both. The atrocious game against BG is very hard to look over but it's still the same team that played those much higher ranked teams tight.
It's an up and down game. As badly as Tech played last week, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the good guys give the "Canes all they can handle Saturday night.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Its my fault. I picked THAT game as my first one to come back in person since CPJ. I had given up 20 years of season tickets. I could not bear to watch what TFG was going to do to Tech football and refused to go. I did donate $$. I was hoping for a gimme game to start building my fan hood back.....

slugboy

Staff member
Its my fault. I picked THAT game as my first one to come back in person since CPJ. I had given up 20 years of season tickets. I could not bear to watch what TFG was going to do to Tech football and refused to go. I did donate $$. I was hoping for a gimme game to start building my fan hood back.....
Dude, I really did not think they’d screw up so bad as to lose that game. That’s 100% understandable that you’d think it’s a safe game.

After we saw the stat about our recent record vs G5 teams, it’ll be a decade before we can feel safe again.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
True, and it is the same team that blew a 26 point lead against Louisville and was physically manhandled by a bottom tier MAC team. Puzzling to say the least but remember the same year we got beat by The Citadel, we turned around and beat a talented though troubled Miami team. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You are to be congratulated for your honesty in admitting your guilt. Now do further penance by going to Miami and sitting in the middle of the usual gang of thugs from "Duh U" suitably attired in Tech colors. Best be armed in some way. Good luck.