Bowling Green Post Game... 😢

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There was too much in the system to flush out at one time when Collins left. Tech is just not in a position to get rid of every player, every coach and assistant and start from scratch at year 0. Maybe that is where football is headed and maybe Tech will get to that point one day. But, for better or worse, that’s not in our DNA.

So what can you expect from a program that still has to compromise on who to fire, who to retain and how many students can be processed at one time? Saturdays like we just experienced are what we can expect.

The interesting question for me is what’s it like on the inside with this team? Who is embarrassed? Who is philosophical? Who is angry? Who is indifferent and still dreaming of the personal glory in the NFL that Collins promised? Who is fragile and who is broken?

Pulling all that together as a team using the broken pieces of the previous regime was always going to be difficult at best. Personally, I made the mistake of getting too optimistic and too heady about how fast Key could turn the disaster of Tech football around. Rationally I should have known better.

My guess is that Key has to thread the needle pretty fine right now, reading the riot act to players who frankly don’t deserve their scholarships while also trying to hold the team together. He’s a former Tech player who has had successes at every level he has coached or played at so he knows what’s required. But Collins left a lot of entitled players in the system who see no connection between who they are and their won / loss records. That’s as contagious as any Covid strain for a team.

Watch carefully what happens this coming week.
Wish I could like this twice. Really good line of thoughts.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Another data point to consider on our defensive performance this week. Going into this game BG was 132 out of 133 teams in offensive efficiency. Not that their defense is much better, as it is 92 out of 133 teams. We faced a bad team and had our arse handed to us.

"132 out of 133 in offensive efficiency" is it? Well, the obvious solution is to find out who that team is that is ranked 133 and get them on the schedule ASAP so our boys will feel good about themselves and maybe even get a participation trophy.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This game reminds me of the citadel game or even temple. Games that should have been easy wins, turned a disaster. Under Collins, we all hoped that those would have been wake up calls for both players and staff , and wasn't

From here, it's about how the staff and players respond.
If key can change things and turn things around this week, we can be ok

Right now, yeah the offense had a **** game, but I'm chalking that up to a fluke

Aside from a glimmer that we saw at wake, the defense has been horrid all season. How is tackling this big of an issue and not getting fixed ?
Is this an assistant issue below Thacker or is it Thacker ?

Anyone notice yesterday how Key started distancing himself from Thacker at the game ?
A "fluke"? Offensive linemen perfecting their matador blocks is not a fluke. Wide receivers dropping balls is not a fluke. A quarterback badly missing open receivers is not a fluke This was a total team effort directed at losing this game and whatever shred of self respect this program has left.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The game was a disaster... We need two thumpers that we don't have...our linebackers are undersized and without elite speed....ie #4 Stewart, goes wild on us...recruiting will fix this. The positive is n the post game media session CBK 1. Recognized the obvious and acknowledged the significance 2. Owned up to all phases poor performance with coaching player responsibility....oddly not recognized in the previous regime. we have a long way to go but the path is addressing reality vs. Spin....go jackets.
The truly sad part is that as much as I respect Stewart and admire his toughness, pad level and hard nosed running style he simply has no speed. A good defense would limit him to less than 50 yards a game but not a defense that is being pushed around and has undersized linebackers with no speed like we do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
People think it’s magic beans on defense. Has anyone watched LSU on defense? Or lsu? Or how about USC? All have 5 stars across the board and can’t stop anyone
True but Judkin should not be allowed to play football with amateurs and Dart is capable as he did last night of going off on any team. LSU had better athletes and probably a better defense than Ole Miss but Mississippi made one more play than they did.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Stoops has been at Kentucky for 10 years he’s had time to build Kentucky to what they are today. Kentucky was also in much better shape when he got there than what Ga Tech is today. Give Brent Key 3 years and you will see Ga Tech fighting for the ACC Division championship. I don’t like talking bad and being negative about Ga Tech because I love ‘em but man this team was in horrible shape this time last year and we’re 6-7 the last 13 games. Nick Saban was 7-6 his first year at Alabama with 4* talent at every position 2 deep. That’s not what Brent Key inherited. There’s also a reason why Nick Saban went to alabama. Brent Key took on a challenge that most coaches won’t take including Nick Saban.
Popping ball carriers is not about stars...its more about pad level, taking proper angles, wrapping up and want to. Tech showed no want to on defense yesterday.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
True but Judkin should not be allowed to play football with amateurs and Dart is capable as he did last night of going off on any team. LSU had better athletes and probably a better defense than Ole Miss but Mississippi made one more play than they did.

LSU gave up 38 to Arkansas and over 40 to FSU they are struggling on that side of the ball

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And what good coach is gonna want to come to GT after we fired a HC 5 games into his first full season?

Key needs to make changes. We can fire him if he doesn’t make those changes before the end of the season but no sooner.
I don't think he is serious but then again he might be. Coach Key has dug himself a serious hole with this fan base and needs to address these issues. There are players who are not giving their best and need to be riding the pine.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Popping ball carriers is not about stars...its more about pad level, taking proper angles, wrapping up and want to. Tech showed no want to on defense yesterday.
2022GeorgiaCFP
2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006Florida
Stars matter brother just look back to 2006. These results of talent do not lie. You gotta have the players.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This game was worse than:
-The Citadel
-NIU

As bad as:
-Temple
-Virginia Tech 45-0
-Middle Tennessee
-Barely beating Gardner-Webb

I think you have to go back to Furman in the 80s to find games that were indisputably worse (which I’m fairly certain is about when we wore black unis for the first time)
There's the Curry losses and then the ones recently. MTSU was a very good team and it was embarassing to lose to them, but they were a very good team that year. Gardener was a win, yeah not a great game but still a win. Here's the worst going from absolute worst to slightly less worse:

1981 loss to 1-10 Memphis was rock bottom #1, no question. Bad loss to an epically bad team.

Next up was probably the 17-17 tie in 1986 against Furman barely edging out the 1983 loss because that GT team was way worse. Also, they should have remembered the effort in '83 and not doubled down on being embarassed again by the same 1aa team. Note coming off the 1990 NC, we almost lost to Furman the next year also.

4th worst loss for me was not Citadel but 2021 Northern Illinois. We were tired of that staff and they crappes the bed on a relatively easy W. NIU coach said at halftime they were going to physically beat us worse than the 1st half and win the game. Nothing worse than an opposing coach saying you're weak, then turning around and absolutely whipping your ***. That could merit moving this loss to #2.

Citadel 2019 is #5. Mocking the style of the team, then getting your *** beaten by it could merit being moved up to #3.

VT skunking us at home is at least #6. As with the 2 above, the historic nature of the *** whipping could merit it being as high as 4th worst.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
There was too much in the system to flush out at one time when Collins left. Tech is just not in a position to get rid of every player, every coach and assistant and start from scratch at year 0. Maybe that is where football is headed and maybe Tech will get to that point one day. But, for better or worse, that’s not in our DNA.

So what can you expect from a program that still has to compromise on who to fire, who to retain and how many students can be processed at one time? Saturdays like we just experienced are what we can expect.

The interesting question for me is what’s it like on the inside with this team? Who is embarrassed? Who is philosophical? Who is angry? Who is indifferent and still dreaming of the personal glory in the NFL that Collins promised? Who is fragile and who is broken?

Pulling all that together as a team using the broken pieces of the previous regime was always going to be difficult at best. Personally, I made the mistake of getting too optimistic and too heady about how fast Key could turn the disaster of Tech football around. Rationally I should have known better.

My guess is that Key has to thread the needle pretty fine right now, reading the riot act to players who frankly don’t deserve their scholarships while also trying to hold the team together. He’s a former Tech player who has had successes at every level he has coached or played at so he knows what’s required. But Collins left a lot of entitled players in the system who see no connection between who they are and their won / loss records. That’s as contagious as any Covid strain for a team.

Watch carefully what happens this coming week.
Excellent post!

Eli

Helluva Engineer
There's the Curry losses and then the ones recently. MTSU was a very good team and it was embarassing to lose to them, but they were a very good team that year. Gardener was a win, yeah not a great game but still a win. Here's the worst going from absolute worst to slightly less worse:

1981 loss to 1-10 Memphis was rock bottom #1, no question. Bad loss to an epically bad team.

Next up was probably the 17-17 tie in 1986 against Furman barely edging out the 1983 loss because that GT team was way worse. Also, they should have remembered the effort in '83 and not doubled down on being embarassed again by the same 1aa team. Note coming off the 1990 NC, we almost lost to Furman the next year also.

4th worst loss for me was not Citadel but 2021 Northern Illinois. We were tired of that staff and they crappes the bed on a relatively easy W. NIU coach said at halftime they were going to physically beat us worse than the 1st half and win the game. Nothing worse than an opposing coach saying you're weak, then turning around and absolutely whipping your ***. That could merit moving this loss to #2.

Citadel 2019 is #5. Mocking the style of the team, then getting your *** beaten by it could merit being moved up to #3.

VT skunking us at home is at least #6. As with the 2 above, the historic nature of the *** whipping could merit it being as high as 4th worst.

Although Clemson was damn good I would have to put the 73-7 game on the list somewhere

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Although Clemson was damn good I would have to put the 73-7 game on the list somewhere
How did I forget that? See the drubbing by a team rated 132 out of 133 on offense and something like 100 overall wasn't so bad after all. BG loss is maybe #8 if not #9. I saw something earlier today and GT's loss was only the 4th worst loss of the weekend from a statistical perspective. It was Buffalo, Baylor, Memphis then Bowling Green winning in that order.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

How Baylor won I have no clue. They were down 35-7 with 4 mins remaining in the 3rd

JacketFan137

Banned
2022GeorgiaCFP
2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006Florida
Stars matter brother just look back to 2006. These results of talent do not lie. You gotta have the players.
recruiting is the most important thing in the sport. it’s the bare minimum barrier to entry into being a good college football team that produces consistent results for multiple years. as of this week key had been doing a good job we just have to hope that a loss this bad doesn’t sway the recruits that were in the stands away

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I mean. I think that’s more professionalism from Key. Deal with Thack man to man, but to crap on him to the public?

I think Key knows there’s issues, but you don’t solve is by airing dirty laundry.
+1

Just catching up on the chatter, but the above needs to be understood.