Bowling Green Post Game... 😢

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
There are no wheels on this wagon
All losses suck. Some more than others.

Silent Film Vintage GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
Another data point to consider on our defensive performance this week. Going into this game BG was 132 out of 133 teams in offensive efficiency. Not that their defense is much better, as it is 92 out of 133 teams. We faced a bad team and had our arse handed to us.

yeah this loss already looked awful but now this might be the worst tech loss ever holy ****

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a bad look to me and completely unacceptable

Billygoat91 beat me to it. With the recent history of this team, how can these players possibly overlook anyone? As wrmathis pointed out, this is absolutely unacceptable. Wonder why the Dodd is about half filled with not that many students in attendance? This kind of performance will kill a program, just ask Nebraska.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Were we attempting a fake punt in the 2d quarter with the lead? If we were, it was a total bonehead decision. Coach Key didn't have the team or his coaches ready to play or coach.. This is unfortunately starting to look like a trend, ( UVA, Miami, BG - all clunkers at home.) But, we have a long way to go. Something has to change with our LBs though.
What makes it worse, is that it was not a fake punt just really poor execution. Besides, who would try a fake punt with a backup defensive tackle in to block? The snap hit one of the up blockers in the helmet taking him totally by surprise.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So what's the solution, fire key, and begin a 3rd rebuild?

As crappy as today was, from here on out it's about what key doesn't to not let this happen. I know some don't have it, but I want to believe he can fix this (at least more than Collins ever did)

First fix would be to fire thacker and get the defense fixed
This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but this is about more than just the coaches. There are a lot of players that need to either hit the portal or the pine.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Collins made this fan base a little crazy. Tech fans used to be a little more restrained and reasonable compared to other fan bases. Now we want to fire coaches before they’ve even had a full season.
"Restraint is it?" Boy, you haven't seen real craziness until you see the Florida fan base in an uproar over a coach. It was once said that the perfect season for a Gator fan was to win 12 straight games, beat Notre Dame for the national championship and fire the coach under goal posts. Poor Ron Zook lost to Mississippi State and the cow bells had not stopped ringing in his head when he got fired the next day.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
This is the type of game where I hope Key has some of that GOL/Saban in him. Throwing stuff, spittle flying, and just ripping into guys. We aren’t especially talented but when that is the case you also can’t make dumb plays.

As PJ said, it’s never as good or as bad as it seems. I saw a team that lost 42-0 to Ole Miss running HB power all game rise up and beat some conference opponents. I saw a guy who sacked himself 10 times against uva play much better just a few weeks later.
We can still improve and win some games but this is a huge inflection point not only for this years team but the direction of Key’s career. Do we fold and end up with 3 wins again or do we punch some teams in the mouth? I don’t know if we have the horses to be a good team, but we have to be better than we were today

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Imagine being a GT booster and/or an NIL sponsor who’s now openly paying these kids, and then they showcase that kind of effort at home.

Key should be ashamed of himself. What I’m not going to do is watch Key coach eight games last year, hire his own staff, flip 40% of the roster or whatever it was, own his own offseason, and still lay blame at the previous regime’s feet for how our current players play. Especially their effort. Just don’t play them if they’re going to display that lack of effort.

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Can everyone STOP with the "expansion" BS! What conference would want to take this TRAIN WRECK? Got to become a LOT better to be remotely considered by other conferences. SORRY--but this is the bitter TRUTH. (and i HATE it)!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Another data point to consider on our defensive performance this week. Going into this game BG was 132 out of 133 teams in offensive efficiency. Not that their defense is much better, as it is 92 out of 133 teams. We faced a bad team and had our arse handed to us.

Same game plan as when Northen Ill came in to BDS.
Frequently they had called quick hitting plays like they were going for 2 points from the 3 rd line. We were back on heels defending like there was no urgency. Double team the guard tackle lane and send the B BACK FULL SPEED ( not reading and dancing)UTM.

The head coach is also responsible for us playing safeties so deep prevent in first half.

The head coach is responsible for the lack of ability to successfully execute some play in red zone. He is fully responsible for rb roster that doesn't have any RB (Knight, Martin) that can run called plays like the NI team. Please remember the rb room is dinged up (Smith, Evans) not due game but rough practice.

Thack must pack the LOS to get the ball back to our offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What makes it worse, is that it was not a fake punt just really poor execution. Besides, who would try a fake punt with a backup defensive tackle in to block? The snap hit one of the up blockers in the helmet taking him totally by surprise.
The same thing happened in this years ARMY NAVY game. It was not a fake punt. Everyone , including the other team, thought it was a punt. But blocker collected the ball , juked first tackler and made first down which lead to winning score.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Don’t understand why some folks on here want to blame just Thacker. Key has been here the whole time as well and they still can’t run the football. Pathetic loss by a program that is not committed to turning anything around.
Oh this one was bad all around, but the offense has generally been the bright spot of this team. The defense has been bad all year aside from what appears to be a flash in the pan last week. I don’t even know what our defensive game plan was yesterday - and whenever it was got shredded in the first half we just kept on doing it throughout the third quarter.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Got some sleep and have some more clear thoughts.

Our defense is just awful. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on scheme, but our LB's and DB's look like they're trying to keep everything in front of them most of the time. Then when they go aggressive they either take terrible angles and get beat on the edge or just whiff on the tackles. I'm not sure what our strategy is on this side of the ball, but it seems like we're just waiting until we get another player with instincts like Charlie Thomas that will just make every play. This game reminded me of some of the defenses we rolled out with Al Groh in 2012. The Wake game appears to be an outlier.

Haynes King had a really bad game after the first two drives. He was off the mark on his passes and missing reads on the option that would have sprung him huge gains. The first INT should have been a huge gain...instead it resulted in six points going the other way (I don't even want to talk about the attempts to tackle this guy after he makes the pick).

We have a serious culture problem with this team. The ceiling is as high as it's been since 2018, but they just don't seem to be motivated. If we get down we don't really adjust and if we get a lead we just let up once it pushes to two scores. There's no killer instinct. Key stresses toughness and playing hard, but then you get a showing like this that has you scratching your head and wondering if they players get it.

It's still just one game, and while it seems impossible I wouldn't be all that surprised if we went to Miami next week and looked like an entirely different team and pulled the upset.