Bowl game offensive breakdown

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Great breakdown of our offense from a guy on Reddit. He also has a great you tube channel.

I am more than a bit surprised since my impression on two viewings was that our offense was not all that efficient and our run game below expectations. So did Kentucky actually defend us that well? Puzzling to me as i have seen the offense run much smoother and efficiently than that, and I swear there were some 2015 line breakdowns in the game.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I am more than a bit surprised since my impression on two viewings was that our offense was not all that efficient and our run game below expectations. So did Kentucky actually defend us that well? Puzzling to me as i have seen the offense run much smoother and efficiently than that, and I swear there were some 2015 line breakdowns in the game.

A little more efficiency in the passing game (i.e. less drops) and this game really could have been out of hand either at the half or in the third quarter. I was surprised to see just how many Zone Dives were called, and the fact that I don't think Mills ever came out of the game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A little more efficiency in the passing game (i.e. less drops) and this game really could have been out of hand either at the half or in the third quarter. I was surprised to see just how many Zone Dives were called, and the fact that I don't think Mills ever came out of the game.
30 totes, I think, and it has been a long spell since any one back carried that many times. He is clearly a tough kid. I would suppose that in '17 the effort will be to reduce that count but maybe not, given his explosiveness, split them somewhat evenly with somebody else.

30 totes, I think, and it has been a long spell since any one back carried that many times. He is clearly a tough kid. I would suppose that in '17 the effort will be to reduce that count but maybe not, given his explosiveness, split them somewhat evenly with somebody else.
It's not so much explosiveness as it is an unwillingness to go down. On two plays, only one of which the refs didn't blow the whistle too soon, he was on his back on top of a defender and somehow managed to escape and keep going for more yards. Marshall was probably more explosive, although Mills may become so, but Mills is definitely harder to stop.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Although we clearly won the LOS and Dedrick Mills played well, I really didn't think our offense was "clicking on all cylinders".
Which to me is a good sign, since I had always thought we had to play perfectly to win consistently.
One of you guys help me out ... ISV's ??
Also, since in the pre-game hype they were talking about their 4/5 star recruiting advantage, does anyone know if any of those UK DL's were among top recruits ?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

fwiw, Marcus Allen played some and according to the box score had 1 rushing attempt for 11 yards. I am pointing this out because MA was a quiet, unsung hero of the team over the years. It is a sign of depth when a guy like that is your 3rd string back. i wish we could acquire depth like that at all 22 positions although I think we are moving in that direction.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll probably be shouted down for this, but to me, this year's offense was the hardest to defend since Johnson took over. In addition to the occasional death march, we had a huge number of breakaway running plays. We had some success throwing to the wide receivers, but in addition, we must have had ten instances where the A back was lost or neglected and was running down the middle of the field uncovered. We made those throws and catches for touchdowns or huge gains.

But having said that, there is something deeply satisfying about popping five yards up the middle all day long. Georgia and Miss. State fans two years ago were near apoplexy that their defenses could not stop us from handing the ball to the B back seeing him bull through for big gains over and over. Kentucky fans were the same way. I think their anger wasn't just that they lost, but the fact that they were overpowered by a team which they assumed they were physically superior to.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Although we clearly won the LOS and Dedrick Mills played well, I really didn't think our offense was "clicking on all cylinders".
Which to me is a good sign, since I had always thought we had to play perfectly to win consistently.
One of you guys help me out ... ISV's ??
Also, since in the pre-game hype they were talking about their 4/5 star recruiting advantage, does anyone know if any of those UK DL's were among top recruits ?
I believe ISV refers to Inside Veer.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Part of offensive efficiency and execution is catching the effing football. We haven't dropped the ball much this season. UK was the exception. In my mind, that was the only element missing from a prolific bowl game on offense. The plays were right there to be had and the throws were on the money.