Boston College Post Game Thread

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow

Down 8, third down, BC wr makes a catch while sliding on the ground.

Key continues to make questionable timeout calls. Going for it on fourth from the 47 was the absolute right call, and we should have in hindsight, but calling a timeout then punting is beyond dumb.
Calling the timeout and then punting is a decision out of Collins' and Gailey's playbooks. That timeout should have been saved for just after the BC receiver caught the pass sliding on the ground. I wasn't sure that catch was clean.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Rewatched the entire game because I am a masochist.

The BC DBs played the best game of the year and even then we had plenty of missed opportunities. Our WRs dropped way too many passes. When they didn't King would be slightly off on his passes. Not sure if the break hurt the offense's rhythm, but King and the receivers were out of sync all game.

How do you come out on the field to start the fourth quarter with only ten guys against a third and one? Horrible.

Why do our LBs and safeties all flow to the same gap? On the 4th and 1 TD run, no one covers the cut back hole while three defenders run towards the primary hole.

Also, the defense quit after the second interception. No way you give up a TD in two plays right there. Pitiful effort from the front seven.

Finally, some of our DL are really slow off the snap and end getting pushed backwards against a single blocker really easily. We need to be more explosive off the snap to force double teams and create disruption in the backfield.
Spot on across the board!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry if I missed this on a page earlier in this thread but can someone more knowledgable about football than me (which is probably most of you) comment on whether some of our DL problems yesterday might have been due to a conscious decision, for better or for worse, to try and contain their QB? I'm not asking whether that was a good decision or whether it worked out, just if that's something possible? I think I saw someone mention that in the chat yesterday but it also could have been my imagination.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry if I missed this on a page earlier in this thread but can someone more knowledgable about football than me (which is probably most of you) comment on whether some of our DL problems yesterday might have been due to a conscious decision, for better or for worse, to try and contain their QB? I'm not asking whether that was a good decision or whether it worked out, just if that's something possible? I think I saw someone mention that in the chat yesterday but it also could have been my imagination.
It appeared the ends did try and keep the BC in the pocket. However giving him as much time as he wants is not a solution. Pressure is essential.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It appeared the ends did try and keep the BC in the pocket. However giving him as much time as he wants is not a solution. Pressure is essential.
Absolutely agree. I was just curious if our normal problems getting pressure might have also been exacerbated by a decision to try and keep their QB from getting loose.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The issues at the beginning of the season are largely the same one as now.

On offense we do not run the ball well. Against FBS opponents King is our leading rusher - over 40% of our yards against FBS opponents (and our leader in ypc by alot). We avg only 4.6 ypc (Which is brought up by King's rushing).
On defense our front 7 is lacking and are unable to stop the run with any consistency. I don't think it was by accident that the BC coach said he wanted to run more in the second half.

King had some TO issues at A&M. He still has them here, but that said he is still a big upgrade from last season and is our primary weapon on offense. Without him we might be 1-6.
I also think opponents have largely figured out Faulkner's early tendencies. Remember, no one had film on him at the beginning of the season - now they have half a year. They know his tendencies, they know the capabilities of our players.

FWIW, I think this team ends up 5-7. Don't ask me which 2 games they will win though as I wouldn't hazard a serious guess.

It would also help if the program could start playing well at home.
Key is 1-4 against FBS opponents at Bobby Dodd (with a 4 game losing streak).
In the last 4 1/2 seasons GT has 5 wins at Bobby Dodd over FBS teams (and 4 of those had losing records). Avg 1 home win per season over FBS opponents is not going to get a fanbase excited.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
The issues at the beginning of the season are largely the same one as now.

On offense we do not run the ball well. Against FBS opponents King is our leading rusher - over 40% of our yards against FBS opponents (and our leader in ypc by alot). We avg only 4.6 ypc (Which is brought up by King's rushing).
On defense our front 7 is lacking and are unable to stop the run with any consistency. I don't think it was by accident that the BC coach said he wanted to run more in the second half.

King had some TO issues at A&M. He still has them here, but that said he is still a big upgrade from last season and is our primary weapon on offense. Without him we might be 1-6.
I also think opponents have largely figured out Faulkner's early tendencies. Remember, no one had film on him at the beginning of the season - now they have half a year. They know his tendencies, they know the capabilities of our players.

FWIW, I think this team ends up 5-7. Don't ask me which 2 games they will win though as I wouldn't hazard a serious guess.

It would also help if the program could start playing well at home.
Key is 1-4 against FBS opponents at Bobby Dodd (with a 4 game losing streak).
In the last 4 1/2 seasons GT has 5 wins at Bobby Dodd over FBS teams (and 4 of those had losing records). Avg 1 home win per season over FBS opponents is not going to get a fanbase excited.
30% wins at home since 2019. Every other team in the ACC is at least .500 at home. Even teams that really struggle at least are more competitive at home. We are basically the same home or away.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
The guy we were we missing was the tackler.
Sherlock Holmes Hello GIF by Boomerang Official

Jolly Good Fellow
What we are doing defensively is not working. Our DL guys are soft, our corners can't tackle, our safeties can't cover and our LBs have been invisible. I would suggest that we bring 5 on every play, 6 most downs and 7 sometimes...NVM...bring 7 alot.....what's the worst that can happen?
That we might give up 35 per game?
Why is 3rd and 12 a "short yardage" conversion against us?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
By the end of the year, weā€™ll be playing in an empty stadium. Fan base just doesnā€™t care anymore.
Everyone associated with the last coaching staff needs to go. Oh wait, Key was on that staff šŸ¤¬
We are at the point of being lucky that 3 Star kids are even halfway interested in playing here.
It used to be ā€œgreat to be a Yellow Jacketā€œ it was ā€œgreat to be a fuzzy beeā€.
Lord Jesus help us!
The disconnect is that Tech stresses academic excellence, so spending Saturday afternoons watching our ineptitude in BD stadium creates cognitive dissonanceā€¦

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
When guys like K Michael Hall, Phillip Wheeler, Darryl Smith and later Jemea Thomas hit people they went backwards just about all the time. Now we hit people and itā€™s like we are throwing tennis balls at them. They bounce off and keep going. BC rushed for 308 yards and passed for 255 and the majority of the time Castellanos was not pressured even a little bit.
There is a long and distinguished list of Tech linebackers who had a nose for the ball and who punished ball carriers. Sadly, the current crop, barring some MAJOR improvement, wonā€™t be included on that list.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There is a long and distinguished list of Tech linebackers who had a nose for the ball and who punished ball carriers. Sadly, the current crop, barring some MAJOR improvement, wonā€™t be included on that list.
Gary Guyton, Slobberknocker Awatd winner, would knock guys backward. Gerris Wilkerson, Brad Jefferson, Sed Griffin, Julian Burnett, PJ Davisā€¦ the list goes on.