Boston College Post Game Thread

GT33

Helluva Engineer
My brother.-in-law had a couple of classes with him. Said he was just a great guy and very intelligent.
What amazes me is you look back at history and he came along way before someone like him was fully accepted. He excelled on the field and without that who knows his educational opportunities may have been severely limited. He became a leader or GT helped hone his leadership. When he went to GT, there were not many breaks for anyone, GT tried to break you. He succeeded despite all the challenges of that and being a student athlete. I see him now and again on campus. Seems very well respected and he's had a great career both on the field and off. What a great role model to have around. We need all the help we can get restoring our athletics to respectabiity.

gotech82

Georgia Tech Fan
What we are doing defensively is not working. Our DL guys are soft, our corners can't tackle, our safeties can't cover and our LBs have been invisible. I would suggest that we bring 5 on every play, 6 most downs and 7 sometimes...NVM...bring 7 alot.....what's the worst that can happen?
That we might give up 35 per game?
Why is 3rd and 12 a "short yardage" conversion against us?
Judging by comments three weeks ago, demoting Thacker was going to solve all of our defensive woes.
Now I see we’ve all decided to pile on Coach Key. Makes no sense to me.

slugboy

Staff member
We get hyperbole and some hot takes after both wins and losses. We’re about even in wins and losses, so I can say we get more hyperbole after losses.

As for something that does raise flags—We had a two back set a few times. The first time, Cooley was coming in and Haynes ran off, and the coaches had to send Haynes back in (I possibly have this backwards). That’s a simple habit where the subs coming in tell the player they’re replacing to come out. That was before we had plays with too few defenders.

An organized team has the subs ready, has an assistant telling them what to do. Having 10 men on the field might happen once in a while, but multiple times in a game means that you aren’t ready or organized.

This is the second time for Key that we looked unprepared after a bye week. BG and BC were both critical games where we needed to win for bowl eligibility, and we didn’t. We are much better organized now compared to TFG, but it’s still not where it needs to be.

slugboy

Staff member

BC edged us out in success rate. Our 3INTs didn't help make that up

If that chart were against FSU, maybe there’s a moral victory to take out of it.

This team needs to just win, though. Especially these games

=======

Postgame presser

I didn’t see the comment about “maybe not everyone is bought in”, so I don’t know where that came from in some other posts I saw. Key is frustrated. There are problems in all areas of the game. Acknowledged that we lost up front on both sides.

Having 10 players on the field is a bad way to give up points. Big plays happen when one player gets beaten or fails to do their job—with a player missing, it’s guaranteed one player fails their assignment—plus, someone else has to fight through an extra block.

Maybe nothing big happens this week, but it should

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We are much better organized now compared to TFG, but it’s still not where it needs to be.
Hopefully, these mistakes clean up soon. Lots of transition to manage up to this point and moving forward still. The storm is not over yet.

Its Raining GIF by Rafahu

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If that chart were against FSU, maybe there’s a moral victory to take out of it.

=======

Postgame presser

I didn’t see the comment about “maybe not everyone is bought in”, so I don’t know where that came from in some other posts I saw. Key is frustrated. There are problems in all areas of the game. Acknowledged that we lost up front on both sides.

Having 10 players on the field is a bad way to give up points. Big plays happen when one player gets beaten or fails to do their job—with a player missing, it’s guaranteed one player fails their assignment—plus, someone else has to fight through an extra block.

Another loss, another press conference admitting that changes need to be made and that we are working to make changes. I’m guessing that he will figure it out sometime after Thanksgiving.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

=======

Postgame presser

I get the feeling that a few of the goofy mix ups we saw were the result of trying to make some changes during the bye week. Not an excuse, but the bye week is when you’d think we would tweak personnel / packages so we have some extra days to sort it out.

Bye weeks are always welcome when you’re playing poorly; not so much when you’re playing well. I was hopeful it would change our defensive fortunes while not impacting the offense…. Neither seemed to be the case.

This weekend feels like “proof of concept” to me. Hopefully the D has ironed out the issues and has some success and the offensive timing comes back. Unfortunately, if we have Carolina’s full attention, it may not matter on the scoreboard.