Bobinski approving of Tech’s progress

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/10/25/bobinski-approving-of-techs-progress/

Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski likes the progress of the football team has looked thus far, particularly compared to last season, his first as athletic director. He added that he considers the defensive struggles a matter of depth.

“We just need to, over time, develop some roster depth to allow us to compete,” he said. “I don’t have any question about the skill or knowledge of our staff on that side. It’s all about being able to get enough bodies and enough talented bodies to be able to compete throughout the course of a game and a season.”

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/10/25/bobinski-approving-of-techs-progress/

Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski likes the progress of the football team has looked thus far, particularly compared to last season, his first as athletic director. He added that he considers the defensive struggles a matter of depth.

“We just need to, over time, develop some roster depth to allow us to compete,” he said. “I don’t have any question about the skill or knowledge of our staff on that side. It’s all about being able to get enough bodies and enough talented bodies to be able to compete throughout the course of a game and a season.”

I approve Bobinski's approval... He acknowledges the necessity of recruiting at the highest level.
Trust he will use his position and influence to ensure we have every opportunity to recruit and sign top talent... seems to be committed to that so far... let's see.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ recently volunteered, either in an interview or on the radio show, that we've got good coaches over on the D side who know what they're doing.

Hearing MBob say the same thing suggests that they've been hearing complaints from a portion of the fan base.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Before I took the job, I would ask the president: "Will you do every thing in your power to help us bring in top talent?" . If he said "no", I would also.

shockwaveGT

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like CPJ gets along well with MBob. Also noticed change in his interview demeanor this year. Maybe coach is getting some coaching.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No, Roof's conservatism cost us dearly the last two games. I sincerely disagree with the assertion that he knows what he's doing.
Not saying we shouldn't be more aggressive. But one of UNC's touchdowns came on a 4th and 6th play where we brought the house on a blitz. And we blitzed a few other times in the 2nd half of that game. About half of the time it was effective but the other half of the time, it cost us.

Last edited:

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I approve Bobinski's approval... He acknowledges the necessity of recruiting at the highest level.
Trust he will use his position and influence to ensure we have every opportunity to recruit and sign top talent... seems to be committed to that so far... let's see.
I approve of your approval of his approval.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying we shouldn't be more aggressive. But one of UNC's touchdowns came on a 4th and 6th play where we brought the house on a blitz. And we blitzed a few other times in the 2nd half of that game. About half of the time it was effective but the other half of the time, it cost us.

Keep blitzing, we may force some losses and turnovers. Seriously, we can't be much worse. We will get burned some, but we are getting burned anyway playing that read and react stuff.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Keep blitzing, we may force some losses and turnovers. Seriously, we can't be much worse. We will get burned some, but we are getting burned anyway playing that read and react stuff.
Oh but we can. Blitzing by teams that aren't good blitzers tends to lead to a whole lot of long TD's.
I'm not sure we have the athletes who have shown the ability to get to the QB on a pass rush, even when we blitz. Against teams like Pitt, who don't have a QB who's a gunslinger, it might indeed work. But against Duke and UNC, whose QB's are able to scramble and find open receivers, we could have absolutely looked worse than we did.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh but we can. Blitzing by teams that aren't good blitzers tends to lead to a whole lot of long TD's.
I'm not sure we have the athletes who have shown the ability to get to the QB on a pass rush, even when we blitz. Against teams like Pitt, who don't have a QB who's a gunslinger, it might indeed work. But against Duke and UNC, whose QB's are able to scramble and find open receivers, we could have absolutely looked worse than we did.

I hear ya....

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

You are absolutely right in that when we blitz " half of the time it costs us", and when we don't blitz more than half the time it costs us. Its the 3rd and 20s that we give up that I can't stand.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
You are absolutely right in that when we blitz " half of the time it costs us", and when we don't blitz more than half the time it costs us. Its the 3rd and 20s that we give up that I can't stand.
It worked well for us today but Pitt doesn't have a very good passing QB. IIRC, his completion percentage was somewhere around 55% for the season before today.

FWIW, I expect us to have more trouble versus the pass with Virginia, Clemson (assuming Watson is back by then) and UGA. NC State doesn't appear to be very good but I haven't seen them play so I won't make a judgement on them.

Sheldon's

Jolly Good Fellow

AMEN to that. It drives me nuts when we have them 3rd and 15+ and we play coverage.... It is a recipe for a first down about 95% of the time.

slugboy

Staff member
A touchdown is the same amount of points, no matter how fast you score it. If the odds of a stop go up, even if it looks uglier, isn't it worth it?

thwgjacket

AMEN to that. It drives me nuts when we have them 3rd and 15+ and we play coverage.... It is a recipe for a first down about 95% of the time.
3rd and long situations are where guys like Hunt-Days and Whitehead would be great. I'll give Roof some credit, he is doing what he can with what he has after all the dismissals and eligibility issues. The kids are playing as hard as they can for him. The DJ White play today shows that.