Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So spending money (admittedly adding more debt) on a 365 income producing development, is, in your opinion, a bad idea. Just wait around for us to win a three-peat and season tix are $2,000 because of demand and all our money troubles will go away huh.
i won't go on a full Ramsey rant, but I will say that not having debt (or at least as much debt) opens up opportunities. Would GT have moved to the Big10 in 2012 if the athletic department didn't already have almost $200 million in debt? I don't know. But, I think it would have been a lot easier to convince those in charge if the athletic department had $50 million sitting around to pay the buyout, instead of having to add on to the hundreds of millions of debt. A retractable roof stadium is not just debt, it is exponentially more debt. MBS cost $1.5 billion in 2015-2017. That would be about $2 billion in 2024 dollars. The stadium would need to go somewhere else, or close Techwood and absorb some of the East dorms. It would also eliminate the midtown skyline, which is a big current highlight of the current stadium. It would do that even when opened.

I don't think a retractable roof is a good idea for GT. However, I do think GT can potentially do things that other places can't. Have researchers and students work on a laser grid over the stadium to reduce the amount of sunlight that enters. If the game is at night, have the laser grid colored and show scores or animations above the stadium. Use such a thing for concerts to half-way replicate the sphere in Las Vegas. I don't know if it is possible under the laws of physics and optics, but if GT developed such a thing and put it in BDS, it would not only be exciting for football and concerts, it would highlight the technical nature of the school and research institute.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
If anything it could be an idea to incorporate with the eventual new south end zone to come. I'd like to see them take a page out of the Orioles book and turn the end zone into a walk-through experience with some restaurants, bars, etc. during both game-days and non-game days. It's rare to see a stadium as incorporated with the street grid as BDS and we should use that to our advantage.

Somebody also mentioned public funding and I wonder what that would look like. I don't know if any other college has done the equivalent, but it seems more reasonable to have City of Atlanta money going towards BDS (owned by a nonprofit) than going towards Mercedes-Benz (owned by a billionaire). Highly doubt that we would ever see an enclosed stadium or the return of concerts though.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
i won't go on a full Ramsey rant, but I will say that not having debt (or at least as much debt) opens up opportunities. Would GT have moved to the Big10 in 2012 if the athletic department didn't already have almost $200 million in debt? I don't know. But, I think it would have been a lot easier to convince those in charge if the athletic department had $50 million sitting around to pay the buyout, instead of having to add on to the hundreds of millions of debt. A retractable roof stadium is not just debt, it is exponentially more debt. MBS cost $1.5 billion in 2015-2017. That would be about $2 billion in 2024 dollars. The stadium would need to go somewhere else, or close Techwood and absorb some of the East dorms. It would also eliminate the midtown skyline, which is a big current highlight of the current stadium. It would do that even when opened.

I don't think a retractable roof is a good idea for GT. However, I do think GT can potentially do things that other places can't. Have researchers and students work on a laser grid over the stadium to reduce the amount of sunlight that enters. If the game is at night, have the laser grid colored and show scores or animations above the stadium. Use such a thing for concerts to half-way replicate the sphere in Las Vegas. I don't know if it is possible under the laws of physics and optics, but if GT developed such a thing and put it in BDS, it would not only be exciting for football and concerts, it would highlight the technical nature of the school and research institute.
I wasn't, am not and never will be in favor of any retractable roof for a sports venue because they are closed 75% of the time for all events. Having a 365 income producing development is what I'm a fan of. Think The Battery but aimed at college students and young professionals. Pipe dream I know, but if by some Bill Gates Money way ATL covers the 75/85 as there have been proposals for, GT should look at how to improve the South and East part of campus, not just looks and function wise, but financially also.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn't, am not and never will be in favor of any retractable roof for a sports venue because they are closed 75% of the time for all events. Having a 365 income producing development is what I'm a fan of. Think The Battery but aimed at college students and young professionals. Pipe dream I know, but if by some Bill Gates Money way ATL covers the 75/85 as there have been proposals for, GT should look at how to improve the South and East part of campus, not just looks and function wise, but financially also.
We could debate the merits of a retractable roof all day. The only reason I mentioned it is that it would open the door for exponentially more events. Just as one example, if Avant South turns into something of a SXSW in Atlanta, a closed roof Dodd would be the epicenter.

As TooTall mentions though, the real point here is a 365 income producing development anchored by the stadium. The Techwood area is uniquely blocked off by the four Cs: campus, Coke, Centennial Olympic Park and the connector. It's an example of an opportunity Tech would be able to leverage based on location that no other school in the country would share.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Seems to me there will be fans for at least a while that will want to be at the happening and we will need a stadium that accomodates them in a fun, entertaining way. I'm guessing no more than 50,000 seats and maybe even less, NW rebuild is 35,000 and that is Chicago.
I have to believe with the hints at lots going on behind the scenes such as the freeway cap, changes and extension layouts to Wardlaw etc that a master plan has or is being developed. Expect the money raising is quietly being developed behind the scenes, J Batt doesn't appear to be one that sits around waiting and neither does Angel.
Somewhere I heard the billion dollar figure to be raised for our move into bigtime CFB, don't know how true it is but that figure would not surprise me if it turns out to be true.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
From a couple of comments I've heard, led me to believe that a new structure will be done for GTFB, yes I could have that wrong.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
There are no sightlines from the concourses. That’s one of the main problems.
Well where in college football is that usually seen? It’s not the nfl. I’ve been to Neyland Stadium, concourse has the same issues. And the bathrooms up there are WOEFUL compared to GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well where in college football is that usually seen? It’s not the nfl. I’ve been to Neyland Stadium, concourse has the same issues. And the bathrooms up there are WOEFUL compared to GT.
It isn’t. It is seen in the more modern stadiums. And that’s the point. Nobody cared about next day delivery and now it’s kind of expected. Nobody is bothered by older stadiums until they go to a newer, modern one.

BTW, Neyland authorized a $350 million improvement plan. While I like the Vol sections, the visiting side is crap.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

The core four​

Fan’s core four expectations are:
  • They expect the stadium to be safe, comfortable, and clean.
  • They want the view from their seats to match their expectations.
  • They desire a high-quality game.
  • They expect an exciting atmosphere within the stadium.
Lots of sub-details that drive the above. 59% of fans prefer to watch the game from home.
In defense of Tech.

1. Stadium is very safe, pretty comfortable, I usually sit in the gold chairback club as it’s where my family has season tix, but I’ve been in the bleachers plenty of times too. The metal isn’t great, but in terms of college football seating it’s average. Metal bleachers are what the vast majority of CFB stadiums offer.

2. The views at BDS are solid. Even better is that our stadium is a rectangle and not an oval which means the fans are right there on top of the action.

3. yeah uhhh well this is probably the reason attendance plummeted. TFG’s mismanagement of the program took a huge toll… BUT, Brent Key is bringing hope back. That UNC win was one of the best games I’ve ever seen. Combine that with the Syracuse win and a respectable battle with UGA and it seems somewhat quality play is returning to BDS.

4. Atmosphere depends on #3. If the game is good, the fans will be in it. The UNC game was an electric atmosphere. The BG loss felt like an mausoleum. Add the tradition and pageantry that GT has to offer (band, reck, etc) and you have a good atmosphere at BDS.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
It isn’t. It is seen in the more modern stadiums. And that’s the point. Nobody cared about next day delivery and now it’s kind of expected. Nobody is bothered by older stadiums until they go to a newer, modern one.

BTW, Neyland authorized a $350 million improvement plan. While I like the Vol sections, the visiting side is crap.
Yeah that’s what I mean. The home side is fine. Has recently been renovated and they added premium chairback seats. The other side of Neyland? it looks like a dungeon. (See below)
1717630772234.png

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But how are the sight lines from the bathrooms? Can you watch the game while taking a whiz?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Stanford has a concourse with open sight lines where you can do a full lap around the stadium. It’s neat.

Is that where I’d spend a few hundred million to improve the GT game day experience? Definitely not. It didn’t make any of the 7 not-really-Stanford-fans-but-living-in-the-bay-area that I went with say anything about being more likely to go back in the future…

There are lots more amenities in the world then there are true drivers. Focus on the drivers.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately would be a billion-dollar enterprise and compete directly with Truist and MBS, who are already host events of that size. It would have been a much better proposition around 2010 before Truist was built and started hosting concerts (the Ted rarely did) and MBS was but a dream (the Dome typically hosted concerts in the 60-70k range, MBS typically hosts concerts right in that 45k-60k range)
Speaking of the Ted...does anyone know how Georgia State has funded their facility modifications and upgrades? The Knight database lists their debt as zero. Have they snagged some state funding? Just wondering how they've managed it.

Edit to add: Georgia State's student fee income is triple ours.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Speaking of the Ted...does anyone know how Georgia State has funded their facility modifications and upgrades? The Knight database lists their debt as zero. Have they snagged some state funding? Just wondering how they've managed it.

Edit to add: Georgia State's student fee income is triple ours.

According to this much of the money for the complex is from the university itself rather than the athletic department. I know our athletic department is in debt, but surely the Institute itself is well above water. I wonder to what extent an improvement of BDS (especially a mixed-use like discussed here) could be paid for by the Institute rather than GTAA.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

According to this much of the money for the complex is from the university itself rather than the athletic department. I know our athletic department is in debt, but surely the Institute itself is well above water. I wonder to what extent an improvement of BDS (especially a mixed-use like discussed here) could be paid for by the Institute rather than GTAA.
Thanks for sharing this. So their AA was a) practically gifted a relatively modern stadium by the city ($30M doesn't come close to its value or construction costs), and b) somehow got the school and private equity to pay for renovations and surrounding new infrastructure. I thought the BoR prohibited GT and other state schools (the school) from paying more than a relatively small portion, I think 10%, of the athletic association's expenses. There was some creative financing involved here.