Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Don't remember T-Club exterior looking that nice, but placement says that it. It also held a mini-theater/meeting room for film sessions, study halls, team meetings, etc.
Yes, I don’t remember the gables on the back side either, but that’s where it was and there wasn’t room for a second house back there. That pic was taken about 5 years after I was out. Maybe they renovated?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
A few photos I took, back in 1985.

View attachment 16697
Thanks for posting these. I was there at that time, but under 10 years old, so I had a hard time remembering what the south side of the stadium looked like. I definitely remembered the track, though. And the neon green Astroturf.

Looking back at it now, I can only imagine how awful that early Astroturf must have been to play (and tackle) on. YIKES.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting these. I was there at that time, but under 10 years old, so I had a hard time remembering what the south side of the stadium looked like. I definitely remembered the track, though. And the neon green Astroturf.

Looking back at it now, I can only imagine how awful that early Astroturf must have been to play (and tackle) on. YIKES.
This brings back memories. I took track at Tech and had to run laps around BDS to set my track time. Other days, we ran up the steps in the West stands. When the weather was nice, students gathered on the field in swim trunks and bikinis to catch rays, throw frisbees, etc. We called it "Grant Beach" during the Spring.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
It does look relatively good; however, for those who were at the game and made any attempt to move between the north and east stands it was a god-awful fan experience - massive chaos involving high numbers of law enforcement refusing to let fans use that corridor. Multiple physical confrontations were observed and reported including one I saw with an officer pushing a father and his young son against a wall causing the boy to cry. I tried to get to our seats three times throughout the first half with no luck until the third try I ultimately had to force my way past the security guards who seemed to calm down slightly toward halftime. It was the worst overall fan experience I've ever observed/experienced for many hundred fans in my 45+ years of attending games at BDS... GTAA needs to figure something else out - and quickly...

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
It does look relatively good; however, for those who were at the game and made any attempt to move between the north and east stands it was a god-awful fan experience - massive chaos involving high numbers of law enforcement refusing to let fans use that corridor. Multiple physical confrontations were observed and reported including one I saw with an officer pushing a father and his young son against a wall causing the boy to cry. I tried to get to our seats three times throughout the first half with no luck until the third try I ultimately had to force my way past the security guards who seemed to calm down slightly toward halftime. It was the worst overall fan experience I've ever observed/experienced for many hundred fans in my 45+ years of attending games at BDS... GTAA needs to figure something else out - and quickly...
Well that’s not good. 😳

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m not exactly sure why it would be any different than before. There were just walls there before and how there’s a fence. Why the refusal?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Who were they trying to restrict? Were people moving to better sections that were unoccupied? This just sounds crazy. On tv it looked like parts of UE and South end zone had seats open. Who cares if the seats were open. Let people move.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't visualize what the NE corner would look like during the construction and post-construction from the stadium side. I think it looks good now and will really be impressive when finished. I also think a 52K seating capacity is perfect for us.