Bobby Dodd Renovation in the NE Stands

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is how I remember most locations over 50 years ago, which had not changed much over the previous decades. I lived in Towers Dorm and ate very meal except Sundays at the Athletic Training Table located between the East Stands and the Naval Armory at the corner of Techwood and 3rd (now Bobby Dodd Way). I had classes at the Skiles Bldg and the ROTC Bldg. Bobby Dodd and from 28 to eventually 58 staff were in the Athletic Department Bldg. We had the first computerized registration int eh Heisman Gym. Life was simple then.
View attachment 16598
Drown proofing anyone? Heisman gym?

jpw67

Georgia Tech Fan
To those of you in town, what's the status of the work on the stadium? Any new pics you've taken recently or seen elsewhere? I know this won't be done for some time now, but hoping Edge is gone and the area cleaned and prepped for construction by next week...

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
To those of you in town, what's the status of the work on the stadium? Any new pics you've taken recently or seen elsewhere? I know this won't be done for some time now, but hoping Edge is gone and the area prepped for construction by next week...
Headed up there in an hour to welcome the team and will grab a photo!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
To those of you in town, what's the status of the work on the stadium? Any new pics you've taken recently or seen elsewhere? I know this won't be done for some time now, but hoping Edge is gone and the area cleaned and prepped for construction by next week...
IMG_3948.jpeg

Sorry, I didn’t grab several photos and not sure you can glean much from this but the East campus is a giant construction site (in a little bit of an obnoxious way tbh - the area around BDS is very disjointed and there are detours everywhere. Cherry St and Bobby Dodd Way are completely blocked off and you need to zigzag around the whistle building to get from one to the other).

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
View attachment 16639

Sorry, I didn’t grab several photos and not sure you can glean much from this but the East campus is a giant construction site (in a little bit of an obnoxious way tbh - the area around BDS is very disjointed and there are detours everywhere. Cherry St and Bobby Dodd Way are completely blocked off and you need to zigzag around the whistle building to get from one to the other).

Best I got here. Edge is completely gone other than one wall along the N stands and one wall along the stairs. There's a construction wall along the path that goes from N to E. Prep area is basically flat and ready for foundation work.

MpC4NPB - Imgur.jpg

Flajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
SW corner? That's where the auburn guys in about '69 would buy whole trays of Cokes from me, knock all the lids off, take the tray from me and slosh about half the coke out of each cup and fill them back up with bourbon. Good times!!
The first time I went to a game was in 1969; the Falcons played Baltimore. The Braves were doing their part for the amazing Mets; hosting (and losing to) them at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Yeah, sitting in the SW corner you were far from the field.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Drown proofing anyone? Heisman gym?

I was fortunate that my small hometown had a community pool. I spent most of my free time in the summers at the pool. There was no other recreation. So, I didn't have a lot of trouble with the drownproofing course. The one test I did not complete was the swim down and back with hands tied behind my back with extended legs tied at the ankles. I made it down and about 2/3 of the way back on the return but I could not stay afloat. Coach McAuley pulled me up with his shepherd's hook. I remember McAuley as a very good coach. You could tell that he wanted all of us to complete the course.

We had one poor guy who could not swim. He really had a tough time. I think he eventually did enough to get through the course.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so, but those were great seats and those sections included the nicest bathrooms in all of BDS 😭
And that bathroom had the hidden wall of urinals that were never fully occupied. There will probably be a long wait for the men's room this year.