Bobby Dodd grass

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
8a99dde30726aabbdaac99744d27cf55665c80ca43db65c89f04fd2bf614ada7_1.jpg

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The segue was a concern raised about the cost of ripping up the fake stuff to install real grass. Perspectives on debt service, contributions, interest rates, and tax deductions soon followed.

As for me, I prefer real grass but if the fake stuff is in and it would save money for now to keep it, we should keep it until it starts getting worn down.
In a further attempt to relate this tangent to the thread topic, from what I found via googling, if the GTAA solicited donations for the Edge replacement, funds donated for that purpose cannot be redirected to replace the BDS field turf without permission of the donor.

You can, and many donors do, specify a purpose for their gift. The IRS calls it a restricted donation. It’s still deductible, despite what @stinger78 has stated.

One of the most common types of restricted gifts is an endowment to be used for a scholarship for a specific sport.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
In a further attempt to relate this tangent to the thread topic, from what I found via googling, if the GTAA solicited donations for the Edge replacement, funds donated for that purpose cannot be redirected to replace the BDS field turf without permission of the donor.

You can, and many donors do, specify a purpose for their gift. The IRS calls it a restricted donation. It’s still deductible, despite what @stinger78 has stated.

One of the most common types of restricted gifts is an endowment to be used for a scholarship for a specific sport.
Certain restricted donations are tax deductible. I acknowledged this above.

From the website, Charitable Allies:

“To qualify as a charitable contribution, a gift must be complete (i.e., no “strings” attached) and irrevocable. The charity must have full control of the donated funds, and discretion as to their use to carry out the organization’s charitable functions and purposes.” (Emphasis mine)

There is obviously a huge gray area around what constitutes control. The IRS has decided that a scholarship fund for athletes, wherein distribution of those funds rests solely with the fund managers and not the donors, is compliant. Control rests with the receiving organization, not the donor.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Once the useful life of the artificial surface is reached, then decide if natural grass surface is what they want. Caveat would be if a donor paid for the entire change but money could be better spent IMO. I also wonder if the money raised for the Edge will be enough now with so much inflation the last couple of years.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Certain restricted donations are tax deductible. I acknowledged this above.

From the website, Charitable Allies:

“To qualify as a charitable contribution, a gift must be complete (i.e., no “strings” attached) and irrevocable. The charity must have full control of the donated funds, and discretion as to their use to carry out the organization’s charitable functions and purposes.” (Emphasis mine)

There is obviously a huge gray area around what constitutes control. The IRS has decided that a scholarship fund for athletes, wherein distribution of those funds rests solely with the fund managers and not the donors, is compliant. Control rests with the receiving organization, not the donor.
There's really not a grey area, and had you included the next couple of paragraphs from that page, Charitable Allies also makes that really clear.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There's really not a grey area, and had you included the next couple of paragraphs from that page, Charitable Allies also makes that really clear.
That’s why I provided you the link. There are always gray areas with the IRS. Their decisions provide insight as to how they lean currently, but they can change those leanings sometimes at a whim.

Tax deductibility requires relinquishing control of the funds. That’s pretty consistent, and has been as long as I’ve been associated with such funds. What constitutes relinquishing control is always defined, but not always the same way. Giving to a scholarship fund is fine.