Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year List

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
How and when did the CFA Bowl people get to be involved in the Bobby Dodd Award? That doesn't strike me as traditionally the case.

"The Dodd Trophy was established in 1976 to honor the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division 1A) head football coach whose program represents the highest ideals on and off the field. The award honors the coach of a team which enjoys a successful football season, while also stressing the importance of academic excellence and character, as did Coach Dodd’s teams during his 22 years as head football coach of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets."

UGA and Richt in consideration this year . . . sounds about right. o_O
This is rediculous...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster I don't think Bark Madley's article is sarcasm. If he's a true dawg fan, then he's as fed up with Richt as anyone. He loves bashing us and Richt has stolen months of cheap jabs he could take at us. He already had the articles written about how GT had a good season but... then HfB had to ruin it all. Then DJ White made sure he and HfB went down in GT football history

Haha...no, was talking about my comment in my OP with the link to Bradley's column. Was just poking fun at some of our fans who think the AJC is out to get GT and never says anything good about us.

Here, for your edification and outrage, are the members of the selection panel:

Trev Alberts
Frank Broyles
Bob Casciola
Marino Casem
Lee Corso
Doug Dickey
Paul Dietzel
Terry Donahue

Ron Franklin
Ray Graves
Steve Hatchell
Keith Jackson
Brad Nessler
John Ralston
Darrell Royal
Doug Weaver

Frank Broyles and Ray Graves were closely connected to Dodd, and Brad Nessler has had close relations with Tech, and this is what they come up with???? DAMN !!!!

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
After that ridiculous pooch kick with 18 seconds left, I will more than gladly bestow upon CMR the coach of the year award. Without that sublime coaching, we don't get the W.

thwgjacket

so here is the question, how does this list not at least include all the conf coaches of the year?

oh wait....its because this committee must be smarter than all the conf votings and need to create their own list to add value. LOL what a joke. At the very least you start with conf coaches of the year and add from there as you see fit. But DABO freaking SWEANEY made this list? LOL Richt?
I agree that it is complete BS that CPJ is not on the list. But let's not act like the people who vote on our conference accolades know what they're doing. For everything they get right (CPJ being ACC Coach of the Year) they get something wrong (Shaq being 2nd team ACC).

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that it is complete BS that CPJ is not on the list. But let's not act like the people who vote on our conference accolades know what they're doing. For everything they get right (CPJ being ACC Coach of the Year) they get something wrong (Shaq being 2nd team ACC).

Different group of voters. But at least the all acc team i can somewhat get. Alot of talent on the OL and only two first team spots. That happens.

This boddy dodd bs is more like the playoff committee to your point. Richt? mora? Lol. Sweeney. Jeez. Wow. And this isnt the award. Its just nominations. Its unreal really

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Here, for your edification and outrage, are the members of the selection panel:

Trev Alberts
Frank Broyles
Bob Casciola
Marino Casem
Lee Corso
Doug Dickey
Paul Dietzel
Terry Donahue

Ron Franklin
Ray Graves
Steve Hatchell
Keith Jackson
Brad Nessler
John Ralston
Darrell Royal
Doug Weaver

Nessler loves us, I can't believe CPJ isn't on his list. And Darrell Royal should love the old school nature of our offense. Trev Alberts probably threatened all of them if they included CPJ, though.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This is a different kettle of fish than Conference specific rewards and ACC sportswriters though. To win the conference coach of the year award CPJ has in part been the benefactor of the conference sportswriters (the voters) ignorance or simply their poor ability to predict outcomes. They give GT one of the worst preseason predictions . . . Tech goes out and blows those predictions out of the water . . . the coach gets a ton of credit. Now, it so happens that they are also right in that CPJ is a very good coach. I expect him to end up in several HoFs by the time (or after) he retires from coaching.

On the Bobby Dodd Award. Given its name I expect Tech fans to be protective of its integrity and image. It is the most prestigious national cfb coach of the year award (or so I believe). And those criteria are actually pretty rigorous.

IMO, the committee should always start with a list of say the coaches of the top 15 ranked programs plus review the list of all FBS teams records from the previous season compared to this one to find the top ten most improved programs (or best stories in achievement if their is overlap). Then you take those 25 head coaches and start to look for means to pare them down based on the other criteria (APR year to year improvement, graduation rate, retention and other signs of program health, Fulmer Cup points, charitable work, and so forth).

So at the end of the day Tech fans questioning the integrity of the process by which this panel has come to get that list of finalists is really not unreasonable. The Richt inclusion for this year almost seems like a "troll" of the Dawg fanbase, as if it is an attempt to tell them "lay off Richt if you know what's good for your program, he is a great coach!"

The only way this list could have been made more amusing was if Petrino was on it.