Bo Pelini out at Nebraska

thwgjacket

Disagree. He said those things because the fan base had unreasonable expectations and were not satisfied with 9 wins a year. Their fan base deserves a creator of a program that is lucky to win 3 games a year after running of Solich and Pelini.
Then I have to agree to disagree you can't alienate the fans, then get blown out by all the ranked teams you play. I understand losing to ranked teams but he was getting destroyed by them.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Then I have to agree to disagree you can't alienate the fans, then get blown out by all the ranked teams you play. I understand losing to ranked teams but he was getting destroyed by them.
I agree you should not alienate them but at some point the fans need a wake up call to what is realistic. I would have thought that Callahan would have sufficed to do that but I guess it didn't. I sure know that if I were a coach I wouldn't go coach there for 10 million a year. Not worth it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
9 and 4 is not good enough at Nebraska and never will be. They just have not been the same since Tom Osborne retired. They need someone that can not only talk tough but actually is tough. Pelini is all hat and no cattle. Good coordinator but poor head coach. Maybe him and Muschamp can find work somewhere or maybe they can just sit home and count their unearned money.

Go Jackets!

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear rumors from Tech finance side people that perhaps Mbob wasn't putting a national championship football team up front on his priorities just yet, and that the season and CPJ's asks are causing some reshuffling of planning.

Can't comment on the veracity, but it makes sense that Mbob might need some time to reshuffle a 15 year goal into a next year to next 5 years goal. Were that to be the case, I could see that he'd have a big list of stakeholders and donors to inform that their projects are getting moved back before he can sign on the line.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I'm just concerned that people are going to panic and hastily offer Johnson a ridiculous buyout clause like Gailey had. Johnson has obviously earned himself a little more time, but he needs to prove he can build something that is consistently top quality before he deserves a lucrative buyout clause. That is a path that I saw Tech go down way too early with Gailey, and it constrained us for years. Never again! To Johnson, I say: Earn it first. Then make your demands.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just concerned that people are going to panic and hastily offer Johnson a ridiculous buyout clause like Gailey had. Johnson has obviously earned himself a little more time, but he needs to prove he can build something that is consistently top quality before he deserves a lucrative buyout clause. That is a path that I saw Tech go down way too early with Gailey, and it constrained us for years. Never again! To Johnson, I say: Earn it first. Then make your demands.
In many of OUR eyes, he has earned it. His demands are not about him. It is about the resources supporting our program. We should all be behind this IMHO.

Matt E

GT Athlete

Chan Gailey can't hold CPJ's jock and NEVER accomplished the things that PJ has in the same period of time. How has he not "earned it" at this point?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Back to Nebraska. They can get Linemen, but it is a tough sell to get skill players to come to the Midwest. They get very little local talent and have to import their speed from other states.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
They fired Pelini because the fan base hated him. You can't talk crap about your own fan base for as long as he did and expect people to be happy. Had he just smiled for the public during his tenure he would still be there.

If you listen to that whole rant he an excellent point though.

I'm very surprised they let him go. The fans in Nebraska are delusional. The last time they did this they ended up with Bill Calahan and pretend his tenure doesn't exist.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
This was not a smart move, but if you've watched the press conferences it was clear Pelini never got along with the Nebraska fan base. The real winner is the school that hires him as a head coach, which Florida should be trying to do with a quickness.

This could be another UT Phil Fulmer scenario building at Nebraska. And I hope Richt gets canned at UGA too.
Some good points in these articles on both the Pelini situation, and the moron UGAggers calling for Richt's firing.

http://dawnofthedawg.com/2014/11/30/calling-mark-richts-job-careful-wish/
http://dudeyoucrazy.net/2014/11/30/mark-richt-bo-pelini-and-when-good-isnt-good-enough/

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Chan Gailey can't hold CPJ's jock and NEVER accomplished the things that PJ has in the same period of time. How has he not "earned it" at this point?

Consistency. He has not shown a level of consistency. He exceeded expectations this year, and he has earned more time. But this is where immature people in charge of football programs go wrong all the time. They panic and lock themselves into a lucrative buyout. The coach that looked great one season turns out not to be so great on a consistent basis, and the school is financially frozen into inaction for YEARS. We've actually had it happen not just with Gailey but with Hewitt in basketball. Virginia is facing this with London now. It's immature and foolish to lock yourself into something you can't get out of. You must stay nimble and you must stay fleet of foot. Now, come back with a few years of consistent excellence. Show me that you've built something that's sustainable, and I'd be willing to talk long-term commitment. O'Leary was someone who I thought had proven a level of consistency and increasing success. He happened to have his eye on Notre Dame, but had he wanted to make a commitment long term to Tech, I think it would have been appropriate to offer him that. Johnson has had a good year. In a week, it might turn out to have been a great year. But we can't jump pell-mell into a hasty decision, or we are going to regret it.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Besides @Atomic Jacket , recruiting without a long-term deal is damn near impossible. u(sic)ga used to extend Richt by a year all the time just so he could tell kids he'd be there their whole career. It's the lifeblood of college programs today, and Tech can either embrace it or get out.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Consistency. He has not shown a level of consistency. He exceeded expectations this year, and he has earned more time. But this is where immature people in charge of football programs go wrong all the time. They panic and lock themselves into a lucrative buyout. The coach that looked great one season turns out not to be so great on a consistent basis, and the school is financially frozen into inaction for YEARS. We've actually had it happen not just with Gailey but with Hewitt in basketball. Virginia is facing this with London now. It's immature and foolish to lock yourself into something you can't get out of. You must stay nimble and you must stay fleet of foot. Now, come back with a few years of consistent excellence. Show me that you've built something that's sustainable, and I'd be willing to talk long-term commitment. O'Leary was someone who I thought had proven a level of consistency and increasing success. He happened to have his eye on Notre Dame, but had he wanted to make a commitment long term to Tech, I think it would have been appropriate to offer him that. Johnson has had a good year. In a week, it might turn out to have been a great year. But we can't jump pell-mell into a hasty decision, or we are going to regret it.
And it's indecisive people like you that always miss out on a great opportunity.