Bo Pelini out at Nebraska

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, in MBob's defense, it's not solely his decision. He also needs to go to the people above him, and to donors to get the money together. When you're talking about committing the kind of money CPJ is going to command with his stock as high as it is, it takes a little longer. There's other considerations outside of putting documents together and having two guys signing it.
Yeah, but we can still tell him our thoughts about this situation, and make it clear our support of CPJ

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Techster post: 107275 said:
Well, in MBob's defense, it's not solely his decision. He also needs to go to the people above him, and to donors to get the money together. When you're talking about committing the kind of money CPJ is going to command with his stock as high as it is, it takes a little longer. There's other considerations outside of putting documents together and having two guys signing it.

Donors are pushing MBob.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You know all of these coaches are over paid. I don't blame them for gaming the system and lining their pockets. I hope CPJ stays but if he wants a king's ransom then let's move on to the next guy. If he's being reasonable then let's get it done and move on.

Go Jackets!

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I won't pretend to have any knowledge of how any of this contract stuff works, but I wonder if MBob is taking time trying to find the necessary funds to meet the stipulations laid out by CPJ, even if there are big boosters supporting this. In all honesty, I would not be against giving CPJ a Hewitt type contract, but I am sure a lot of people would not see it that way.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
You know all of these coaches are over paid. I don't blame them for gaming the system and lining their pockets. I hope CPJ stays but if he wants a king's ransom then let's move on to the next guy. If he's being reasonable then let's get it done and move on.

Go Jackets!
From what Eric laid on in previous threads, CPJ is not asking for anything crazy, other than a pay bump that is well deserved. The crux of what CPJ wants is enough resources to be competitive on a national stage, which I am sure we can all agree is something this program should have had 5 to 8 years ago.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Got no problem with doing it "the right way" and making sure it works for everyone involved. All CPJ did was raise his stock this weekend. I have always enjoyed the hire and even more so now. I like the offense and don't care what others think of it. CPJ is an expert at what he does and we are seeing it in the flesh.

I am confident that all will get done. We would be foolish to let him go. But then again, look at the contract we gave Hewitt.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
It isn't CPJ, but someone that's on GT side with $$$$.

His last word "I'm working it"

The AD needs to drag his feet for another week. Need to see the outcome of the ACC CG in order to determine the compensation Johnson deserves. Johnson isn't going to quit and accept an offer from Nebraska before the ACC CG, so there's no need to take hasty action.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This is exactly why in other threads I said we should have signed him before the UGA game. His stock's upside was so incredibly higher than the downside. Now if MBob drags his feet until after the conferee championship and he wins, we are going to have to really pay him well.

I'm all for extending him and giving him what he wants, I'm just frugal :)

thwgjacket

In all honesty, if you are a coach, would you really want to go to Nebraska after the last coach got canned for averaging 9.4 wins over the last 7 years?
They fired Pelini because the fan base hated him. You can't talk crap about your own fan base for as long as he did and expect people to be happy. Had he just smiled for the public during his tenure he would still be there.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
They fired Pelini because the fan base hated him. You can't talk crap about your own fan base for as long as he did and expect people to be happy. Had he just smiled for the public during his tenure he would still be there.
Disagree. He said those things because the fan base had unreasonable expectations and were not satisfied with 9 wins a year. Their fan base deserves a creator of a program that is lucky to win 3 games a year after running of Solich and Pelini.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
This was not a smart move, but if you've watched the press conferences it was clear Pelini never got along with the Nebraska fan base. The real winner is the school that hires him as a head coach, which Florida should be trying to do with a quickness.