Black Uni Speculation

Brother, that is not even in the same universe as "this uniform is cool. I like it" Also the amount of money you donate to Tech doesn't give you some sort of power over the program. That is delusional and sounds like you got cut from JV, developed an inferiority complex, and are trying to buy your way back into feeling important.
I unfortunately do not give as much as I would like to, so no, I don't think my money means much. But there are quite a few "old men" donors who pay the way for all the athletes in all the sports at Tech (as at other schools), and those guys damn sure have a right to an opinion and to seeing that opinion be considered. You would not have seen any of the changes you have seen at Tech since you became a fan or a student or whatever you are, if it had not been for all the money both spent on tickets and contributed as gifts by those "old men."

Some of you guys really suck and make me ashamed to be a Tech fan straight up.
When you grow up and become an "old man" yourself, you will have the same kinds of opinions that we do now. They may be directed differently, but I guarantee you will believe your opinions, and your investment in the school will matter. And I would bet too that some young fan will say that you make them ashamed to be a Tech fan. What goes around comes around.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I unfortunately do not give as much as I would like to, so no, I don't think my money means much. But there are quite a few "old men" donors who pay the way for all the athletes in all the sports at Tech (as at other schools), and those guys damn sure have a right to an opinion and to seeing that opinion be considered. You would not have seen any of the changes you have seen at Tech since you became a fan or a student or whatever you are, if it had not been for all the money both spent on tickets and contributed as gifts by those "old men."

Who hurt you and why has it translated into this mindset?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Just in case you wanted to know which image was photoshopped to create that blackwatch uniform, here it is.

Navy_Photos_9.jpg

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
Entitlement isn't always unearned.

If i gave 30 million or something to the school I would in fact be entitled to something.
Not so sure how much I agree with statements like this either. If you paid the school $30M in exchange for some sort of privilege then yes I would agree that you are entitled to whatever the transaction entailed. A gift/donation in its purest form does not come with any strings attached and therefore carries no sort of unspoken entitlement. If the donation program has levels with benefits, ie you give X amount you get benefit 1 or you give Y amount you get benefit 2 then yes, you are entitled to that benefit, but this is again more of a purchase and not a gift.

I understand that this is a simple/naive way of looking at things and that people with large amounts of money expect special treatment but the idealist in me likes to think that a gift can simply be just that.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Have no way to prove it but i gotta believe TStan has more to say about color schemes than coaches.

I just cringe at the thought of a game being played with all Black unis, Blue field markings, Gold lights in the upper north only and a White football

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
$ has given donors entree into Universities, and their Athletics, since people were first allowed to become donors.

Not an issue.

Even at GT, a gentleman who gave a $1 million check was able to, at the least, influence Harrison into not allowing Dodd to make the HC hire he wanted and forced the hire of Bud Carson. Uniforms - pffft.

And I can well believe that at schools like bama, psu, texas, usc, lsu that big $ boys have the power to say " go ahead, within boundaries, having an alternate uni but don't screw with the standard". And the thoughts of the players on the matter is not super high on the list.

And they make it work.

But i don't know any of the inner workings or thoughts on these matters at any school.

I think the concerns of $ donors and players should probably be considered. But just "because the players like it" is not the be all end all - nor the total surrender to $ guys.

I just prefer a classier, more traditional looking uni. Have alternates if we must but retain throughout each one classic styling with the same stripe & design scheme.

JMO

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Entitlement isn't always unearned.

If i gave 30 million or something to the school I would in fact be entitled to something.

If you gave $30M to the school, you’d probably have a direct line to the AD and would possibly be able to shut down an alternate uniform. Do you know a megadonor who’s had their opinions ignored?
If you are a regular donor, I’m sorry but I’m gonna side with the players who are donating their blood and sweat to the program.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If you gave $30M to the school, you’d probably have a direct line to the AD and would possibly be able to shut down an alternate uniform. Do you know a megadonor who’s had their opinions ignored?
If you are a regular donor, I’m sorry but I’m gonna side with the players who are donating their blood and sweat to the program.

That was my point about sometimes entitlement being earned.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

That number is far lower than $30 million, but I agree with you.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
When you grow up and become an "old man" yourself, you will have the same kinds of opinions that we do now. They may be directed differently, but I guarantee you will believe your opinions, and your investment in the school will matter. And I would bet too that some young fan will say that you make them ashamed to be a Tech fan. What goes around comes around.

Not necessarily. I'm not sure if the 50-54 age range qualifies yet as "old man" but I'm actually really willing to listen to other people's opinions and am ALWAYS challenging my own. People don't make me ashamed to be a GT fan. Some people make me ashamed THEY are Tech fans (and no, that is not directed at anyone here, not even obliquely).

Not necessarily. I'm not sure if the 50-54 age range qualifies yet as "old man" but I'm actually really willing to listen to other people's opinions and am ALWAYS challenging my own. People don't make me ashamed to be a GT fan. Some people make me ashamed THEY are Tech fans (and no, that is not directed at anyone here, not even obliquely).
I have no problem listening to other people's OPINIONS, but too many of them state their OPINION as FACT and are not willing to listen to anybody else.