Black Uni Speculation

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I guess the only good thing about the coronas is it will keep this from happening. Hard to wear a new uni if there aren't any games.

I really don't care if we do or not. Maybe it will turn out to be cool (I doubt it, but am willing to give it a shot) , but why in the name of all that is holy did we spend so much time and money on a survey and come up with new guidelines as to color and styling and then not follow one single thing on it

Because we're GT

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Human nature is quite amazing in that people can see the same thing differently.

There was No Black Watch uniform. The 84 & 85 teams, at home, wore Gold hats with no stripe and a White GT logo. They wore a Black shirt with White & Gold trim. They wore Gold pants with White & black trim.

Anything to do with The Black Watch was not a team thing - it was strictly a recognition of a small handful of D players that wore a different helmet. Gold with wide black center stripe and black only GT logo. No O players at all.

Antithesis of a "Team" thing.

That being said i could not care less about this anymore. G / W / B / Bl / G or any combo thereof.

I no longer have any hope of seeing us wear anything resembling a Classy uni regardless of color scheme.

Let loose the dogs of fashion.

Last edited:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Human nature is quite amazing in that people can see the same thing differently.

There was No Black Watch uniform. The 84 & 85 teams, at home, wore Gold hats with no stripe and a White GT logo. They wore a Black shirt with White & Gold trim. They wore Gold pants with White & black trim.

Anything to do with The Black Watch was not a team thing - it was strictly a recognition of a small handful of D players that wore a different helmet. Gold with wide black center stripe and black only GT logo. No O players at all.

That being said i could not care less about this anymore. G / W / B / Bl / G or any combo thereof.

I no longer have any hope of seeing us wear anything resembling a Classy uni regardless of color scheme.

I think in a couple years once CGC gets comfortable and the brand is out there, we will go back to actually having a couple looks we stick to mainly. Hopefully

That's not exactly true. The whole team wore black jerseys, a jersey color never worn before, in honor of the Black Watch Defense. The different helmets may have differentiated the actual members of the defensive team, but the team uniform as a whole has always been referred to as the Black Watch uniform.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
That's not exactly true. The whole team wore black jerseys, a jersey color never worn before, in honor of the Black Watch Defense. The different helmets may have differentiated the actual members of the defensive team, but the team uniform as a whole has always been referred to as the Black Watch uniform.

Well sir, if I may -

GT wore Black jerseys at home in 1982 & 83 and had nothing to do with B/W.

When curry came in we wore G/W/G in 1980 and 81 except for the last game of 81 which happened to be played at home.

Vs ugag, curry broke out a Blue jersey. Massive failure.

The next season he started us wearing our vandy uniforms at home - G/Black/G.

But yes i can understand how some would call the uni in other years as a Black Watch uni.

I may be incorrect, but i am under the impression that teams can no longer have players wearing different stripes, etc. from rest of team. Award stickers are different, but basic uni must all be the same now.

Not sure however.

Last edited:

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I like switching up unis with all the white and gold options. WWW, WGW, WWG, GWW, GWG, GWW, GGW. Like the gold face masks much better than blue. Not a fan of our jerseys with blue numbers, or the ugly white-out helmets.

Blue jersies are ok once a year, not twice a year, and definitely never blue britches. We should never have blue end zones.

If we are committed to doing a special uni once a year, like last year's grays, a neutral color black uni seems a very likely option. I'd support that as long as it's executed well with gold and white accents. Once a year something different to generate excitement among fans and players and recruits.

As far as branding and comparisons with Oregon and Florida, I prefer and wish our branding was consistently WHITE/GOLD. Nobody gets Florida or Oregon's colors wrong, regardless of what crazy uniform they wear. The average college sports fan still confuses ours all the time, which is largely self-inflicted through the way we opt to use blue. We could do some pretty creative things with alternate uniforms that stick with a primarily WHITE/GOLD/navy trim scheme, but, that's just like, my opinion.

And if you disagree with me, that's just, like, your opinion.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know if anyone else remembers, but there was a photo on the Hive back about '10 or '11 of a player in an all black GT mock up uniform. It was jersey #2, so I assumed it was Vad. Had a matte black helmet with gold GT, black jersey with gold number, black pants, shoes, and socks. Normally I am a traditional G/W/G guy, but that all black looked really sharp.

I like switching up unis with all the white and gold options. WWW, WGW, WWG, GWW, GWG, GWW, GGW. Like the gold face masks much better than blue. Not a fan of our jerseys with blue numbers, or the ugly white-out helmets.

Blue jersies are ok once a year, not twice a year, and definitely never blue britches. We should never have blue end zones.

If we are committed to doing a special uni once a year, like last year's grays, a neutral color black uni seems a very likely option. I'd support that as long as it's executed well with gold and white accents. Once a year something different to generate excitement among fans and players and recruits.

As far as branding and comparisons with Oregon and Florida, I prefer and wish our branding was consistently WHITE/GOLD. Nobody gets Florida or Oregon's colors wrong, regardless of what crazy uniform they wear. The average college sports fan still confuses ours all the time, which is largely self-inflicted through the way we opt to use blue. We could do some pretty creative things with alternate uniforms that stick with a primarily WHITE/GOLD/navy trim scheme, but, that's just like, my opinion.

Totally agree about the blue end zones AND the blue outline of the field. TERRIBLE choice, by whoever made it, and yet they continue to do it.

Well sir, if I may -

GT wore Black jerseys at home in 1982 & 83 and had nothing to do with B/W.

When curry came in we wore G/W/G in 1980 and 81 except for the last game of 81 which happened to be played at home.

Vs ugag, curry broke out a Blue jersey. Massive failure.

The next season he started us wearing our vandy uniforms at home - G/Black/G.

But yes i can understand how some would call the uni in other years as a Black Watch uni.

I may be incorrect, but i am under the impression that teams can no longer have players wearing different stripes, etc. from rest of team. Award stickers are different, but basic uni must all be the same now.

Not sure however.
I honestly do not remember black jerseys being used prior to '84 and '85 seasons, nor blue being used in the Georgia game in '81, but that doesn't mean I think you are wrong -- I just don't remember that. Too bad the "massive failure" of those blue jerseys in '81 wasn't remembered. Regardless of how good the '90 NC uniforms or the '14 Orange Bowl unis looked, IMO that is simply not a "proper" Tech uniform. I would think your impression about wearing different stripes is correct.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Very well stated especially regarding the consistent branding of W & G. That should be the cornerstone.

I would accept more easily the use of alternate unis if they were all of a "classic" design as regards design & stripes.

But for sure IIWII.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I honestly do not remember black jerseys being used prior to '84 and '85 seasons, nor blue being used in the Georgia game in '81, but that doesn't mean I think you are wrong -- I just don't remember that. Too bad the "massive failure" of those blue jerseys in '81 wasn't remembered. Regardless of how good the '90 NC uniforms or the '14 Orange Bowl unis looked, IMO that is simply not a "proper" Tech uniform. I would think your impression about wearing different stripes is correct.

Course, a guy named Herschel had much to do with that 81 game failure.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
98A9A927-BA06-471F-B09E-E6B6AE809BB9.jpeg

Didn’t this leak last yr