Big men after Lammers

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Whats the plan for next year? Our backcourt will be in good shape with Alvarado, Devoe, CGB, Alston, Shembari Phillips. Hopefully Josh O is back.

But what is the plan for after our front court when lammers is gone? A grad transfer? Or are we looking to sign another big man?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sjolund coming in for 2018 is a big that needs some body development but has a lot of upside.

AD is a quality defender but our back court talent will have to pick up the slack on offense. Hopefully Ogbonda continues to develop. Cole probably has the most upside of players currently on the roster.

This is a concern for me as well, as I am not sure AD can play heavy minutes efficiently.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Whats the plan for next year? Our backcourt will be in good shape with Alvarado, Devoe, CGB, Alston, Shembari Phillips. Hopefully Josh O is back.

But what is the plan for after our front court when lammers is gone? A grad transfer? Or are we looking to sign another big man?
It will more than likely be a mix of Cole, Wright, and Sjolund. Hopefully we can land Montgomery and if not then I would look for a grad transfer.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Sjolund coming in for 2018 is a big that needs some body development but has a lot of upside.

AD is a quality defender but our back court talent will have to pick up the slack on offense. Hopefully Ogbonda continues to develop. Cole probably has the most upside of players currently on the roster.

This is a concern for me as well, as I am not sure AD can play heavy minutes efficiently.
Sjolund is more of a wing imo we are looking to add 1 more post in 18 class

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would think Wright/AD/Ogbonda and possibly Cole would fit in at the 5 defensively. Best man wins there. Wright/AD/Cole have the ability to play the 4 as well. To me, Sjolund is more of a stretch 4, possibly a bigger 3 type player.

Offensively, our posts play out high a lot, so I'm not too worried about the offensive side as much as I worry about losing Big Game's ability to boss the area around the basket. Though I'd like to see our bigs develop some real post moves!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not to change the subject, but given Lammer's penchant to shoot fadeaways around the basket, that's a great set up for an over-under post move as the guy defending him is preparing for Ben to shoot the fadeaway.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No one in the fold as of now (Cole, Wright, AD or what I know of Sjolund) would appear to have the rim protector abilities of Lammers. That is a huge part of our defense and will be really hard to replace. The corollary is that next year with a perimeter of Josh, Phillips, Jose and Haywood it appears we will be stronger defensively on the perimeter which can make up for lesser rim protection.

Of the 4 my expectation is that AD will be the best at defending a true center on the block. A UNC type of attack or Duke this year. I worry about Wright or Sjolund doing that for a few years to get stronger. For a VT type of attack I don't worry about this dynamic nearly as much given that they will run 4 or 5 out most of the time and these guys fit right in.

On offense, I do think that Ben can be "replaced" to a certain extent with a stretch 4 type as that is essentially how he scores now. He is not a grinder off the block. If AD is the major minutes at the 5 then no he won't replace them.

So next year without Wilt Chamberlain coming in off the grad transfer wire, I expect a reasonable decline in both defense and scoring from the 5 spot that will hopefully both be offset by a much better perimeter group and an improvement in the 4 spot as our younguns grow up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a sore topic, but anyone seeing what Romello White is doing for Arizona State? He was our highest rated recruit in the class with Okogie. From what I understand, Brian Gregory took a moonshot that he would qualify for GT, unfortunately we know how that turned out. That guy is a stud, and doing work at ASU.

Man, imagine a team with Okogie, White, Lammers, CGB, and Tad. Or don't if you want to stay away from "what could have been"...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a sore topic, but anyone seeing what Romello White is doing for Arizona State? He was our highest rated recruit in the class with Okogie. From what I understand, Brian Gregory took a moonshot that he would qualify for GT, unfortunately we know how that turned out. That guy is a stud, and doing work at ASU.

Man, imagine a team with Okogie, White, Lammers, CGB, and Tad. Or don't if you want to stay away from "what could have been"...

Yeah he had 22 the other night. Didn’t see how he played against Kansas. He looks like he’s put on a bunch of “good” weight.

slugboy

Staff member
No one in the fold as of now (Cole, Wright, AD or what I know of Sjolund) would appear to have the rim protector abilities of Lammers. That is a huge part of our defense and will be really hard to replace. The corollary is that next year with a perimeter of Josh, Phillips, Jose and Haywood it appears we will be stronger defensively on the perimeter which can make up for lesser rim protection.
They're freshmen--some of them young freshmen--and he's a senior. Lammers wasn't Lammers his freshman year. I'm not saying they will catch up, but it's way too early. You can see a pretty good jump from Freshmen to Sophomores.

Of the 4 my expectation is that AD will be the best at defending a true center on the block. A UNC type of attack or Duke this year. I worry about Wright or Sjolund doing that for a few years to get stronger. For a VT type of attack I don't worry about this dynamic nearly as much given that they will run 4 or 5 out most of the time and these guys fit right in.

On offense, I do think that Ben can be "replaced" to a certain extent with a stretch 4 type as that is essentially how he scores now. He is not a grinder off the block. If AD is the major minutes at the 5 then no he won't replace them.

So next year without Wilt Chamberlain coming in off the grad transfer wire, I expect a reasonable decline in both defense and scoring from the 5 spot that will hopefully both be offset by a much better perimeter group and an improvement in the 4 spot as our younguns grow up.
I don't know what the plan is for Wright/Cole, but they're nearly as tall as Ben--he outweighs them by 30 pounds or so, though. Ogbonda is about the same size and mass.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Re: White, Ive been checking in on his numbers this year and he’s having a pretty solid season. He’d be huge right now if we could’ve kept him.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Thank you.

It's pointless to even fantasize about what he'd do here. Fact of the matter is he was (likely) never getting in. Even if he got in, likely he'd be academically ineligible at some point anyway.

May as well just move on.