Better Than We Think

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Frenchise -(Maybe you are thinking about last year.)(
Maybe I'm missing something or forgot what I saw at the game.
Don't see a defensive score - below is from ESPN.

Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER PITT GT
i

TD
7:50
Nathan Peterman pass complete to Tyler Boyd for 6 yds for a TD, (Chris Blewitt KICK)
13 plays, 75 yards, 7:10
7 0
Play
i

TD
6:29
Marcus Marshall run for 58 yds for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
3 plays, 75 yards, 1:21
7 7
SECOND QUARTER PITT GT
i

TD
14:52
Justin Thomas pass complete to Ricky Jeune for 29 yds for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
5 plays, 86 yards, 2:24
7 14
Play
i

TD
12:40
Qadree Ollison run for 1 yd for a TD, (Chris Blewitt KICK)
5 plays, 75 yards, 2:12
14 14
Play
i

TD
7:06
Patrick Skov run for 1 yd for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
10 plays, 86 yards, 5:28
14 21
Play
i

TD
2:48
Nathan Peterman pass complete to Tyler Boyd for 17 yds for a TD, (Chris Blewitt KICK)
8 plays, 75 yards, 4:18
21 21
Play
THIRD QUARTER PITT GT
i

TD
0:51
Nathan Peterman pass complete to J.P. Holtz for 6 yds for a TD, (Chris Blewitt KICK) GEORGIA TECH Penalty, roughing the kicker ( Yards) declined
8 plays, 49 yards, 4:00
28 21
Play
FOURTH QUARTER PITT GT
i

TD
13:35
Marcus Marshall run for 7 yds for a TD, (Harrison Butker KICK)
5 plays, 75 yards, 2:16
28 28
i

FG
1:11
Chris Blewitt 56 yd FG GOOD
14 plays, 31 yards, 7:02

I was just looking over the stats of each of the games in our 4 game losing streak (don't ask me why) thinking about how poorly we have played and all. Then when I read the actual numbers, it sunk in a little, despite finding ways to lose and executing way below our ability level, we could actually be a pretty good team at the core.

Hear me out. First off, let's throw out the CLEM game where we got crushed and really had no chance. In the other three losses, do you realize we had more first downs and TOP than our opponent in EVERY contest, and it really wasn't that close. It was roughly 5 more first downs in each game and maybe 10 minutes of TOP advantage. Do you realize, as a team, we surrendered 34 points to DUKE on a total of 11 first downs and 270 YDs? In two of the three losses we had more total yards. Don't even get me started on the UNC game.

So, what am I trying to say? Well, I am saying that there is a HUGE difference between finding ways to lose and getting whipped. The former is a lot easier (albeit not always easy) to fix.

I will say this, GT having a successful season from here on out will be a lot more about us taking care of ourselves than anything if it is going to happen. We will not need opponent injuries, fortunate officiating, bad games by the opponent, crazy bounces, or anything like that. We just need to stop falling on our own sword and play the way we are capable of.
Even in the Clemson game, we outscored them in the second half. Now that can very easily be written off as garbage points, but the Clemson fans around me at the game, and one I spoke to afterwards, were genuinely concerned because of what happened to them in the second half of the ND game. Granted, from any objective position, they beat our butts, but it wasn't all bad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We are better than our results only in the sense that there is no excuse, imo, for the kinds of mistakes that led to our losses vs ND, Duke, UNC, and Pitt. However, since we have not been able to correct these mistakes, then we shouldn't expect better results.

If I were CPJ, I'd have to be asking some hard questions of Sewak. The bottom line is that we don't need the 5 best linemen on the field if they don't know what they're doing. Surely, we could find 5 guys who know what they're doing and put together a line as good as Navy's. At least then we'd give JT a fighting chance.

I'd also have a talk with our DBs coach and Roof. We've got to find out what's the deal with looking for the ball rather than playing the receiver in man coverage. Watch college football week after week and you see DB follow eyes and hands and get their hands up to interfere with the ball as it's coming in. Week after week, we see our DBs get beat because they take their eyes off the receiver.

What's really sad is that if you were to ask me before the season if I thought we'd be good enough to beat these teams if we sustained the injuries that we've sustained, I'd have said probably not. Yet, the injuries alone don't account for the play that's cost us the games, imo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I forget which coach said it, but it's true. You are what your record says you are.

Have we been competitive in most of our games? Yes, but I'd rather win 9-6 like UGA did against Missouri and worry about cleaning up things after a win, than losing like we have been and continue to work on cleaning things up. I remember complaining about our wins early last season, but at least we took two steps forward for every one step back. Guys were building on something each week, as opposed to regressing every game like we have been.

Like I mentioned in another thread, some of the stuff we struggle with boggles my mind because they're happening at positions that should be the strength of our team. As it stands, we'll be lucky to see .500 this year.