Best Secondary in Georgia Tech history?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
yep,
Clay that yr had one of the best seasons for a DB in Tech history and I've been watching for 60 yrs.Swilling before injury was scary.

You're right. Teams just did not throw deep when Swilling was healthy. I wish so much that Swilling had been healthy when we played UVA in 1990. That would have been a tremendous matchup with their passing game. It was painful watching him try to cover their big receiver that day.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
stop playing quarters, or a version of quarters (1/4, 1/4, 1/2) 70% of the time and I will tell you how good our secondary will be....
Lol, don't speak logic, this might turn into a debate on how our play calling is pretty much perfect and if anything goes wrong it's always the players.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
stop playing quarters, or a version of quarters (1/4, 1/4, 1/2) 70% of the time and I will tell you how good our secondary will be....
I thought "quarters" was all the rage a couple of years ago when Ohio State was doing it. What changed? Why do ya'll dislike it so much or why does Roof like it so much? Just curious.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's start with playing well in the secondary first before we start talking "best in GT history". Let's let our freshmen prove themselves before we label them the best DB class we've signed.

This is starting to remind me of the Jay Jones threads. Let's let our players produce in games before we slap any kind of labels on them.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's start with playing well in the secondary first before we start talking "best in GT history". Let's let our freshmen prove themselves before we label them the best DB class we've signed.

This is starting to remind me of the Jay Jones threads. Let's let our players produce in games before we slap any kind of labels on them.
No

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

But haven't you slapped labels on some of the QB's of what they can and can't do based on the spring game? Of course it's not to the same extent as saying they will be the best. you really do need to learn how to messageboard (sarcasm) :p

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But haven't you slapped labels on some of the QB's of what they can and can't do based on the spring game? Of course it's not to the same extent as saying they will be the best. you really do need to learn how to messageboard (sarcasm) :p

Lol. Except our returning secondary has 2 years of film!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fwiw, on the front page of theacc.com:
upload_2017-7-13_17-28-51.png

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...rian-roseboro-top-list-of-accs-breakout-stars
Lance Austin, Georgia Tech

Here's a fun fact: Despite having a defensive front that created among the fewest pressures in the country last season, Georgia Tech ranked in the top half of ACC defenses in receiving touchdowns, interceptions and yards-per-attempt. Credit goes to an incredibly under-appreciated secondary, led by Austin. As a junior last season, Austin picked off three passes, broke up 12 more, had 50 tackles and, according to STATS LLC, was second only to Miami's Corn Elderamong ACC DBs in yards-per-catch allowed.
ESPN gave the secondary a little bit of love.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Even if the best athletes they have to play in a good defensive system and good game day calls by the coaches. Good coaching can make up for some deficiences as we know with our offense.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just looked it up its Ajani Kerr
Ajani was one of my wife's students before he transferred to McEachern. We were down on the field after a scrimmage last year and they reunited. She introduced me.

Months later, I was out at practice. Ajani came up to me with his hand out to shake, and called me by name. I was impressed. None of that will intercept a pass, but sharp kid!