Best offensive performance against UGA under PJ?

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Mark Bradley from the AJC suggested this morning that our win wasn't based solely on our offense as it had been in 2008 and 2014. He's wrong on a couple things. In 2008, we had a pick 6 and recovered a fumble on a kickoff. In 2014, we held Chubb to basically nothing in the 2nd half, kicked a 53 yard FG to send it into overtime and DJ White made a great individual play to seal it in overtime. In 2016, in my opinion, we got less help from the defense and special teams than we have in the other two wins. The INT by Austin, while great, was a bad throw by Eason. In my opinion, this was more about our offense than it was in 2008 and 2014.

2008: 428 yards, 62 plays, 6.9 YPP
2014: 463 yards, 86 plays, 5.38 YPP
2016: 393, 52 plays, 7.56 YPP

We barely had the ball against UGA this year. 10 less plays than in 2008 and 34 less plays than in 2014!

I gotta say I wrong about our offense. They've been inconsistent at times but they have been impressive on this run since the two fumbles against Miami. What an amazing run in this second half of the season. When we were sitting at 3-3, a lot of people were worried about making a bowl game (including myself). Now we're sitting here at 8-4 with a win over UGA and a chance for a decent bowl game and 9 wins. What a feat it would be if we could finish this season with a bowl win.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
If I'm not mistaken we were either tied for # 1 in the FBS with big plays of 50 yards plus, or after yesterday in that # 1 spot all by ourselves. But I was always told by the media that this was a boring offense that can't come from behind as it lacked explosive plays!

I love the CPJ Spread offense (TO) and how it rankles other teams who have to spend extra time in the spring and fall preparing to defend against it!

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Mark Bradley from the AJC suggested this morning that our win wasn't based solely on our offense as it had been in 2008 and 2014. He's wrong on a couple things. In 2008, we had a pick 6 and recovered a fumble on a kickoff. In 2014, we held Chubb to basically nothing in the 2nd half, kicked a 53 yard FG to send it into overtime and DJ White made a great individual play to seal it in overtime. In 2016, in my opinion, we got less help from the defense and special teams than we have in the other two wins. The INT by Austin, while great, was a bad throw by Eason. In my opinion, this was more about our offense than it was in 2008 and 2014.

We barely had the ball against UGA this year. 10 less plays than in 2008 and 34 less plays than in 2014!

I gotta say I wrong about our offense. They've been inconsistent at times but they have been impressive on this run since the two fumbles against Miami. What an amazing run in this second half of the season. When we were sitting at 3-3, a lot of people were worried about making a bowl game (including myself). Now we're sitting here at 8-4 with a win over UGA and a chance for a decent bowl game and 9 wins. What a feat it would be if we could finish this season with a bowl win.

I think the big difference between this year and 2014 was that we really controlled the flow of the game in the second half of 2014. That game looks a lot different without the 99 yd "fumble" return for TD. I think our explosive offense this year gave us more hope later in the game and made it easier to come back. Think how much panic there would be in a normal year, down two scores with only 10 minutes left. Overall I'd still give the edge to 2014 offense.

Either way, I'm incredibly proud of the team and where we sit right now.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This game was more about the defense than the offense.

In the second half our offense went

3 andFumble, giving UGA the ball at our own 28.
3 and out, losing 12 yards, (54 yard point is only reason this wasn't another midfield start for UGA)
3 and out,
Downs at the 50.
TD
TD

Our defense held them to a FG after the first fumble, where 3 was almost a given, nothing after the downs at midfield, where a FG would have pretty much sealed the game for UGA, and gave the offense the ball back with a short field to set up the game winning score.

None of the wins were solely on the offense, and this one wasn't close.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, Bradley still doesn't understand the limits of per-game stats.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to forget 2010. The offense that night was awesome, but we fumbled three times, if memory serves. They didn't stop us all night, though.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to forget 2010. The offense that night was awesome, but we fumbled three times, if memory serves. They didn't stop us all night, though.

In 2010, we forced three turnovers and got zero points out of them. They forced four - turned three into points and the last was the Houston INT to seal the game.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I think the big difference between this year and 2014 was that we really controlled the flow of the game in the second half of 2014. That game looks a lot different without the 99 yd "fumble" return for TD. I think our explosive offense this year gave us more hope later in the game and made it easier to come back. Think how much panic there would be in a normal year, down two scores with only 10 minutes left. Overall I'd still give the edge to 2014 offense.

I've never seen anything like that '14 offense those last few games.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
In 2010, we forced three turnovers and got zero points out of them. They forced four - turned three into points and the last was the Houston INT to seal the game.
Yeah. I guess my point was that we ran for four bills on them and had another 100 yards passing. We were unstoppable that night if we hadn't stopped ourselves (other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play, etc.).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think our explosive offense this year gave us more hope later in the game and made it easier to come back. Think how much panic there would be in a normal year, down two scores with only 10 minutes left.

Not a direct response to your post, but one thing that bothers me about the usual reaction to CPJ's offense is the "The offense isn't made for: a)comebacks or b) 3rd and long". GT has consistently been one of the top teams for "explosive" plays. I have seen them defined as 20yards+, 30yards+, 40yards+, and this year 50yards+. If the spread offenses were "made for 3rd and 7+ yards", they would never have a third down. If it is super easy to make 7 yards on any given play, then the spread would consistently have 2nd and 3, and then a first down. The mutts could have easily taken the two pass plays on the 94 yard drive by going into prevent defense. However, if they had GT could have gained 10 yards+ per play on dives or counters. It all comes down to to coach setting the team up with favorable matchups, and the players executing the plays.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Not a direct response to your post, but one thing that bothers me about the usual reaction to CPJ's offense is the "The offense isn't made for: a)comebacks or b) 3rd and long". GT has consistently been one of the top teams for "explosive" plays. I have seen them defined as 20yards+, 30yards+, 40yards+, and this year 50yards+. If the spread offenses were "made for 3rd and 7+ yards", they would never have a third down. If it is super easy to make 7 yards on any given play, then the spread would consistently have 2nd and 3, and then a first down. The mutts could have easily taken the two pass plays on the 94 yard drive by going into prevent defense. However, if they had GT could have gained 10 yards+ per play on dives or counters. It all comes down to to coach setting the team up with favorable matchups, and the players executing the plays.
It's probably worth mentioning the irony here in that when they scored with :19 left two years ago, we were able to get into FG range. Given eleven extra seconds this year, they never got close. Which offense is built for coming back again?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our defense managed to cobble together three stops in a row at the end of the game when we absolutely had to have them. I don't know how that happened, but I'm thankful it did.
To our credit, we haven't given up a ton of big plays this year and yesterday reinforced that. UGA has a hard time executing sustained offense with a frosh QB and stone handed receivers. In many ways, for us, it is amazing how few big plays we gave up, despite getting pushed back so consistently on the DL. Yesterday the Ugag OL was pushing us around pretty good on the run plays. The LOS was moving nearly every snap and our LBs had DLs in their lap.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
To our credit, we haven't given up a ton of big plays this year and yesterday reinforced that. UGA has a hard time executing sustained offense with a frosh QB and stone handed receivers. In many ways, for us, it is amazing how few big plays we gave up, despite getting pushed back so consistently on the DL. Yesterday the Ugag OL was pushing us around pretty good on the run plays. The LOS was moving nearly every snap and our LBs had DLs in their lap.

Agree that our DL gets pushed around pretty bad and they certainly lack a pass rush. But they do hustle and hang tough. Most runs over 5 yards are a result of our LBs not finding the ball, overrunning or hitting the wrong gap, or not getting unglued from blocks. If we could get better LB play the D would be pretty good against the run IMO, even with the DL getting pushed around some. Our LBs are slow to react soon enough to the pass, are not good in pass rush, and do not play receivers well in space. We will have 5 solid DEs next year, a weakness but an expected improved Henderson, Glanton, and Branch at DT (and maybe some help from Adams), and very solid DBs. We very much need a major upgrade in LB play.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

2014 we dominated that game, and without the refs gifting uGa a 14 point swing we go on to a comfortable win by 2 scores. As much as I enjoy seeing them get their hearts smashed into pieces like they have these last 2 wins, I really really want to see us win one wire to wire again.