Best game you have seen at Grant field?

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
1962 Ala 6 GT 7. Stopped #1 Ala win streak at 29. Stopped Namath going for two. Ray Charles and the Raylettes that night at the Big Tit. Doesn't get any better.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
In my fourth year of going to games, my favorite is still 2011 Clemson. Sitting in the student section, the energy was crazy. Only complaint was how hard they tried keeping us from rushing the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, it has been a lot of years (meaning 30) between games attended at Bobby Dodd for me. I'll give you my top 3:

At #3 Climpsum in 1984. It was special because of the crappy seasons leading up to it.
At #2 Notre Dame (AP#1) tie with Wiz at QB for a game. So improbable. What was the year '83?
At #1 and I am not joking, our very last home game against GSU 2014. There was a ton of intrigue, anguish, and drama, leading to an amazing finish.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
1962 Ala 6 GT 7. Stopped #1 Ala win streak at 29. Stopped Namath going for two. Ray Charles and the Raylettes that night at the Big Tit. Doesn't get any better.

I agree on this game. Sitting in the north stands, McNames and Guthrie made "the tackle" right in front of me, as I recall. The publicity leading up to this game was beyond anything seen in decades; the Chick Graning/Darwin Holt "incident", as the Atlanta press called it, this has to be the biggest GT win in the Dodd era. You young guys can Google Chick Graning/Darwin Holt 1961 game to get a feeling for the emotion that day. "Hate" does not do the emotion justice. This game concluded a year long "war" in the press. Any GT game played since then pales to insignificance.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
The best game I saw in person at Bobby Dodd Stadium was Auburn 2003. I was in the Upper East stands. After the game, from that vantage point, the mass of humanity storming the field was incredible to behold. The goalposts began to sway, then came crashing down. The field was covered with a writhing mass of white and gold-clad fans and football players. The goal posts moved from one end to the other as though in a gigantic mosh pit. The sound of the roaring crowd was deafening.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I was there for VT in '09, that would be hands down my #1... I was also there for Clemson in 2011, the fake FG pass was one of the coolest things I've ever seen... I was also there for last year's UGA game, and if we had held onto that, it would have surpassed VT for me. So close, yet so far.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree on this game. Sitting in the north stands, McNames and Guthrie made "the tackle" right in front of me, as I recall. The publicity leading up to this game was beyond anything seen in decades; the Chick Graning/Darwin Holt "incident", as the Atlanta press called it, this has to be the biggest GT win in the Dodd era. You young guys can Google Chick Graning/Darwin Holt 1961 game to get a feeling for the emotion that day. "Hate" does not do the emotion justice. This game concluded a year long "war" in the press. Any GT game played since then pales to insignificance.
I was in the student section behind the Ala bench. I also had classes with Granning early 1962 and saw his stitched up face which generated HATE like you said. McNames also scored our only td and was from Ala. Darwin Holt went to play in CFL and in first game was destroyed. HATE won.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Clemson 2009. Is that the fake field goal game? I had been consuming heavily. Memories foggy.
2. The Virginia Tech "Kam Chancellor" game. That was dope. Great atmosphere and the Jackets were on a mission.
3. Kansas 2011. For therapeutic reasons. I have family who went to KU who talked about the year before for 365 mediocre-*** days. That one hit the spot. Eat it, Uncle Vic.
4. Clemson 2011. Those rednecks came into Bobby Dodd thinking there was no way they could lose. TW had his best game as a Jacket, and we got a glimpse of what Stephen Hill could have been.
5. Miami 2008. Just pummeled those guys. Need to do that again in two weeks.
6. Auburn 2003. See Clemson 2011, substitute RB for TW. Also, for what happened with two very cute ADPi's after the game at the Sigma Chi house. Good day all around.
7. Thursday night 2003 vs. NC State. Great atmosphere, the defense was suffocating, and I got a u(sic)ga fan arrested for putting a hand on me. He did it right in front of a security guard and I told him to arrest him. Was awesome.
8. Florida State 2009/10. That's when I knew it'd be a special year. Whichever one was at home. Again, I'd been drinking and don't remember what year it was. FSU coughed that ball up and the place went "up for grabs," as Wes Durham would say.

Well, I got a little carried away. Some good times, though.

Clemson in 1984 was pretty danged good, too. Maybe the two most enjoyable to watch was a 59-21 win over NC State in 1986 when Jerry Mays ran for a couple of hundred on a wet field, and the 34-0 crushing of a top 10 USCe team in 1988 when we were in the midst of a miserable 3-8 season.
Good call on that South Carolina victory. We had it clicking that day.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Gosh best or most exciting I saw was what 62 or 63 vs Aubie.Tech won by a point I think(I was a lad of 14) but remember the RATS grabbing the Eagle and runniing out of the stadium.................Don Toner must have made 1000 tackles that day.