Best debut ever?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
How does Taquon's initial game performance rank on the best debut ever list for GT football?

Just off the top of my head, guessing Tony Hollins was up there.

Others?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
How does Taquon's initial game performance rank on the best debut ever list for GT football?

Just off the top of my head, guessing Tony Hollins was up there.

Others?
Billy Lothridge's debut was a 27-7 victory versus a Top 10 ranked SCal in Los Angeles.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure I have ever seen a D1 QB in his first start against major competition have such a great game. Been watching major college football for many moons & Taquon's performance was mind boggling to me. We will see how the rest of the season pans out, but if his OL stays healthy, look out. I always wanted to see CPJs offense with a top notch OL as well as a super skilled backfield. That is what we saw against Tenn. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but really big things could be accomplished on the offensive side of the ball this season barring any catastrophic injuries.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Halfback Everett Strupper had a very good debut for Georgia Tech helping the Golden Tornado beat Mercer 52-0 in Grant Field on October 2nd 1915.

1915 GT
Mercer W 52-0 at Grant Field
Davidson W 21-7 at Grant Field
Transylvania(later Kentucky)W 57-0 at Grant Field
LSU W 36-7 at New Orleans
North Carolina W 23-3 at Grant Field
Alabama W 21-7 at Grant Field
Georgia T 0-0 at Grant Field
Auburn W 7-0 at Grant Field

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
What I liked about him was his ability to get 2-3 yards after contact. Just prior to contact he would get low and lunge forward rather than try to juke and get stopped for little or no gain. This resulted in many 3rd and short and many first downs. Another surprise was his passing ability. One thing we don't know yet is his ability to read and pitch the ball accurately since we didn't run much triple option. If he had pitched the ball on the 2 pt conversion, it would have been a W.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know any QB at GT who has had a better first game than TM. Especially under CPJ.

The ball was only on the ground due to a bad pitch once as I remember. I expected three times. Plus the touch on passes was great.

We are a one legged stool right now; the D leg and kicking leg are not reliable. But the O usually gets better as the season goes on (barring injuries).

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I liked about him was his ability to get 2-3 yards after contact. Just prior to contact he would get low and lunge forward rather than try to juke and get stopped for little or no gain. This resulted in many 3rd and short and many first downs. Another surprise was his passing ability. One thing we don't know yet is his ability to read and pitch the ball accurately since we didn't run much triple option. If he had pitched the ball on the 2 pt conversion, it would have been a W.
This was my biggest pleasant surprise. I was really impressed by his ability to get the extra two in the trash. That was not JT's biggest strong suit. As I have watched a little more tape, it seemed he was a bit too enamored with the cut back. I think he may have lost yards a few times allowing pursuit back into the picture because of it. Nit picking, I know. Overall, it was the best debut in my memory and I can't even think of one that was close.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't know any QB at GT who has had a better first game than TM. Especially under CPJ.

The ball was only on the ground due to a bad pitch once as I remember. I expected three times. Plus the touch on passes was great.

We are a one legged stool right now; the D leg and kicking leg are not reliable. But the O usually gets better as the season goes on (barring injuries).
Eddie McAshan had a strong performance against the South Carolina Lamecocks to open the 1970 football season in Grant Field leading GT to a 23-20 win over #20 South Carolina.