Best chance for a win ?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I can't really predict when we will get a win. Duke, Pitt, VPI, Miami and even NC State are all in play, as far as I am concerned, because you don't know what you will get from them each week and all are capable of giving games away. But we need a lot of things to go right all at once, so it's really hard to say what week that will happen, but I believe it will, at least once.
BUT , the BEST chance ? Even if that is only 35 % ??? Just for sake of discussion...

slugboy

Staff member
I still scratch my head why a clear number one QB was not chosen in the summer, given all the other changes that were going to be implemented on O. Waaaay too many moving parts to establish any consistency, IMO

In late July and the end of the Summer session, we were still trying to understand whether Graham would be eligible. His reps and film study were limited during that time, since you have to make grades.
If you had to place odds on who our starter was during the Spring and Summer, LJ would probably have been the leader, and TO would be #2.
If we’d established our clear #1 starter, we wouldn’t have our current starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to spitball and throw something against the wall to see if it sticks, I'll go with Pitt. That said, I will probably pick us against Duke in the prediction thread just because.
Miami is my pick. If they lose next weekend, guard your knees from the tires exploding out from the wagon.

Duke has the feel of a team that is too consistent for us to get a win. Will they blow us out? No, but they play average ACC football week in and week out, which might just be better than we are currently.

Predicting Pitt is like throwing darts blindfolded. Good Pitt beats UCF and nearly upsets Penn State. Bad Pitt beats Delaware by 3. Who knows which team we will face?

VT's new QB looks good enough to beat us, and we haven't seen a true mobile QB as good as VT's this year. Foster will bring lots of pressure.

UVA is just better than us right now.

NC State is a dark horse candidate for a win. The game is late in the year, they've been up and down, and the game is a home Thursday night game, which has the propensity to get weird.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think we get better as the season progresses, and we get NC State at home on Thursday night, November 21. NC State hasn't won a P-5 game yet this year, having lost to W. Virginia by 17 and FSU by 18.

It's an uphill climb against anyone on our schedule, and I hope we get one or two before Nov. 21, but I'm saying NC State is our best shot. I would add that I think the Coastal Division is a little underrated, IMO.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
In late July and the end of the Summer session, we were still trying to understand whether Graham would be eligible. His reps and film study were limited during that time, since you have to make grades.
If you had to place odds on who our starter was during the Spring and Summer, LJ would probably have been the leader, and TO would be #2.
If we’d established our clear #1 starter, we wouldn’t have our current starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Counterpoint, declaring LJ the clear #1 puts us in the same position we are currently in due to LJ's injury. LJ was injured before the Temple game, which TO then started. JG played because TO was turning the ball over and generally not scoring against Temple. Coupled with evidence that indicates the staff clearly does not see TO as a QB, JG is probably still the starter vs UNC even if LJ is named the starter week 1.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Pitt.

I still have enough respect for Foster that I see him eating up a predictable offense, I think Miami is just too talented, and I think cutcliffe is among the best offensive coaches in America.

Yes, I know Pitt just beat Duke, but the Transitive Property of Football has been disproved many times.

I think Pitt is underrated. They played a great game beating UCF. I think in the end they may well win the Coastal again this year. They're up and down, and I know UVa put them away early, but they only lost to Penn State by 7.

Good to see you back over here, btw. A little schadenfreude, perhaps?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Every team left on our schedule looks beatable with the exception of Georgia. For us to win, it will take the other team having a bad day and a lot of things going our way. At this point, for me, this feels like a Falcons preseason, I expect us to just go out there and mix up the lineup hoping to find a combination that decides to play their butts off and competes for at least part of the game. It just looks to me like our team will struggle to accomplish anything respectable. I would favor a home game as out best opportunity.

Go Jackets!

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Our defense had some leaks. We need to shore that up to even have a chance. If we get the 1st qtr D and the second half O we will have a chance. JG has some learning experiences from this game. If he can take so steps forward I think we have some chances this year. First interception was a poor choice the crossing route underneath was wide open.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Every team left on our schedule looks beatable with the exception of Georgia. For us to win, it will take the other team having a bad day and a lot of things going our way. At this point, for me, this feels like a Falcons preseason, I expect us to just go out there and mix up the lineup hoping to find a combination that decides to play their butts off and competes for at least part of the game. It just looks to me like our team will struggle to accomplish anything respectable. I would favor a home game as out best opportunity.

Go Jackets!
As bad as the Coastal sucks we have to win at least 1 game. It’s dumpster fire after dumpster fire. GT can’t be the worst dumpster fire and even if we were we don’t currently suck that much worse than anyone else that the odds are not in our favor to win a game.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
It really brightens my day to think I have to wait until next year for a win. I'm already worried about Garner Webb. Money Down.......the drain.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You guys got me so pissed off that you can put me down for our first ACC win will be Dook this Saturday. Second reason this will happen is I’m going to miss the 1st half of the game. We open a can and don’t close the lid. JG throws 3 TD passes and runs for 2.

Write it down.