Best A-back to play at GT?

Best A-back to play at GT?

• Total voters

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that a true comparison is nearly impossible to construct via stats and I think a 8 catch sample is much too small to draw a viable conclusion. Let me ask you this: if you really needed a catch in a game deciding situation, who would you throw to? In my opinion, I'd take Robby hands down.

I understand your position. I disagree. It's no big deal. Posting as if your opinion without data is absolutely better than someone else's opinion without data is weird.

I'm not going to debate you sample size and the stats I used. I feel both satisfied and doubtful of my ability to make you understand.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I revel more in our success than the defeat of our rival so I'd say Roddie's call. However, the mutt radio call was fun to hear. Just think, just a few moments earlier they were celebrating another last minute win over the Jackets.... They experienced the exact opposite shift in emotions than we did.
You are a kind man. I listen to the Georgia end every chance I get and if I could figure out how to do it and my wife wouldn't leave me, I would put it on the answering machine ... and call myself a dozen times a day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I certainly didn't mean to imply that. Btw, you never answered my question.

Well, let's see. I disagreed with your position. You chose Robbie over Roddy given the choice between them. Let's see ... Well, since you can't throw it to both at the same time, I guess that means Roddy.

Now, I'm not going to say, "Hands down" as if it's an obvious choice and your choice is stupid, because I think they're comparable, and we don't have a lot of data.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, let's see. I disagreed with your position. You chose Robbie over Roddy given the choice between them. Let's see ... Well, since you can't throw it to both at the same time, I guess that means Roddy.

Now, I'm not going to say, "Hands down" as if it's an obvious choice and your choice is stupid, because I think they're comparable, and we don't have a lot of data.
If I had Robbie and Roddy standing next to me and I was calling a pass play for whomever I put in, I put Robbie in "hands down." That's not saying I think you're stupid for picking Roddy.

I realize you base your whole decision on stats, but as you admit, there's holes in the stats. I base my decision on stats and my own personal recollection of both players. I remember Robbie making an amazing catch against UNC to win the game while, unfortunately, I remember Roddy dropping a key pass or two that killed drives. I can't give you specifics, but that's what I recollect.

I doubt CPJ is staring at a player's stat line when considering who to put in or for whom to call a play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I tried to find comperable highlight films of each players final season but all I could find for Roddy Jones was his Georgia game highlights. Fwiw, here's a real good look at Robbie Godhigh.
Especially pay attention to the receptions.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I realize you base your whole decision on stats, but as you admit, there's holes in the stats. I base my decision on stats and my own personal recollection of both players. I remember Robbie making an amazing catch against UNC to win the game while, unfortunately, I remember Roddy dropping a key pass or two that killed drives. I can't give you specifics, but that's what I recollect.

Personally, I don't think we have seen the ideal A-back at GT yet. Give me Robbie's "want to" with a bigger/faster/stronger individual and we are getting close. Your memories of Roddy dropping some passes are correct, but he also did some great things. Robbie did some great things, but unfortunately, my most poignant memory of Robbie was not positive and clearly influences my opinion. I think it was the dawg linebacker Rambo ripping the ball from Robbie's arms on the 1-yard line back in 2012 that led to a 14 point deficit that we couldn't overcome. No amount of alcohol has yet erased that memory. I think it sticks because it was against UGA.

My point is that none of the options for us to choose from are perfect - I think the "Best" is yet to come. Maybe the best will be found in our new crop of A-backs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
P
If I had Robbie and Roddy standing next to me and I was calling a pass play for whomever I put in, I put Robbie in "hands down." That's not saying I think you're stupid for picking Roddy.

I doubt CPJ is staring at a player's stat line when considering who to put in or for whom to call a play.

Please do not speak for me. I don't understand why you and others feel the need to assert another's motives and then shoot them down. I never said that stats were my only reason. Stats are a way of making comparisons. That's what I used them for.

It seems that you really don't understand that arguing subjective opinions and recollections strikes me as odd. I have recollections and subjective opinions on which I base my opinions also. Big deal.

We agree that Robbie was our feature back in 2013. Do you think he would've been in 2008 and 2009 when we had JD? He was the primary receiver in 2013. Would he have been in 2008 & 2009 when we had BayBay? Would Roddy have shined in 2013 in Robbie's place?

The thing is that I think the answer to the last question is yes. I think Roddy was an all around better back. But, we can't know.

It might be fun to discuss over beers, but your desire to continue to argue, or bring data in support of your subjective opinion, seems weird to me. As I said before, we disagree.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
P

Please do not speak for me. I don't understand why you and others feel the need to assert another's motives and then shoot them down. I never said that stats were my only reason. Stats are a way of making comparisons. That's what I used them for.

It seems that you really don't understand that arguing subjective opinions and recollections strikes me as odd. I have recollections and subjective opinions on which I base my opinions also. Big deal.

We agree that Robbie was our feature back in 2013. Do you think he would've been in 2008 and 2009 when we had JD? He was the primary receiver in 2013. Would he have been in 2008 & 2009 when we had BayBay? Would Roddy have shined in 2013 in Robbie's place?

The thing is that I think the answer to the last question is yes. I think Roddy was an all around better back. But, we can't know.

It might be fun to discuss over beers, but your desire to continue to argue, or bring data in support of your subjective opinion, seems weird to me. As I said before, we disagree.
Sims had over twice as many carries as Godhigh in '13 as well as more yards/game average so calling Robbie the featured back is not something we agree on. However, he was the featured receiver (or co-featured) on a team that had both Smelter and Waller at wideout. That alone should tell us something about Robbie's value as a pass catcher. I highly doubt Roddy Jones would have been the featured receiver if he had played on that team in place of Robbie, do you?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It'd be interesting to see how this poll would look among guys who played along side the guys in the list. We do have one on this board who voted in this poll.....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sims had over twice as many carries as Godhigh in '13 as well as more yards/game average so calling Robbie the featured back is not something we agree on. However, he was the featured receiver (or co-featured) on a team that had both Smelter and Waller at wideout. That alone should tell us something about Robbie's value as a pass catcher. I highly doubt Roddy Jones would have been the featured receiver if he had played on that team in place of Robbie, do you?

Yeah, you got me. In an earlier post, I said feature A-Back and again wrongly assumed you'd know what I meant when typing quickly.

I wonder how your posting would be different if you did mean to imply that your subjective opinion without data is absolutely better than my subjective opinion without data, contrary to what you say here:
I certainly didn't mean to imply that. ... .

I'm not drunk enough to discuss this anymore.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Well since Orwin played with both and was the number 1 a back while playing with them than I guess Paul thought Orwin was the best.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm going with Roddy in a squeaker. Godhigh was a fine player, but Roddy was excellent for three years straight. And he beat out Godhigh in his senior year.

Really close, however; everything people say here about Robbie is true.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
I do know who's mother I hugged more and told her how much I loved her son... and that would be Godhigh. I wonder if his family ever got tired of me? Probably.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I do know who's mother I hugged more and told her how much I loved her son... and that would be Godhigh. I wonder if his family ever got tired of me? Probably.

Depending on where this hugging his mother and "loving her son" took place, I can see a variety of answers to this wonder.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I revel more in our success than the defeat of our rival so I'd say Roddie's call. However, the mutt radio call was fun to hear. Just think, just a few moments earlier they were celebrating another last minute win over the Jackets.... They experienced the exact opposite shift in emotions than we did.
I talked myself into watching the end of regulation against Georgia again, with Georgia radio voices over the video. It never ever gets old, particularly the one part right after Mitchell's (?) catch in the EZ to apparently win it. The one guy was screaming, among other things, that he really got hit after the catch: "He was hit in two different directions by three guys!" Meanwhile the video clearly shows he was hit once, by one guy, and nobody else was even in the vicinity. I thought I was listening to one of those Bull Durham recreations.