Best A-back to play at GT?

Best A-back to play at GT?

• Total voters

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All the discussion about the skill positions got me thinking what the consensus opinion is about who's been our best Aback. For me, it's a no brainer: Robbie Godhigh. The kid wasn't the fastest or the biggest, but luckily those attributes are not requisite to excel at the position.

When making your decision, considers all aspects:
ball carrying,
blocking,
receiving,
ball security,
toughness,
intangibles (attitude, effort, heart, etc..)

I would gladly take a stable of Robbie Godhighs over other guys who might be faster or bigger.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am likewise-- for me there has been nothing more breath-taking than Orwin Smith out wide on the pitch. The possibilities alone made you sit up and watch. I literally moved to the front of my seat on those plays. If it were only isolated to that one ability, it probably wouldn't be that close for me.

But, for all-around production and fun-- it's got to be Robbie Godhigh. He's the model now I always hope for. Bulldog tough, willing to block and always wanting the ball. He was the man. Robbie could also get out on the wheel-route like possibly no one else I've seen.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All the discussion about the skill positions got me thinking what the consensus opinion is about who's been our best Aback. For me, it's a no brainer: Robbie Godhigh. The kid wasn't the fastest or the biggest, but luckily those attributes are not requisite to excel at the position.

ball carrying,
blocking,
receiving,
ball security,
toughness,

I would gladly take a stable of Robbie Godhighs over other guys who might be faster or bigger.
In all of those categories, I would take Godhigh. You didn't mention speed, which is the only thing I think others might have him on.
It seemed like Godhigh was the only productive A-back in 2013. I remember others getting tackled by guys who had been blocked to the ground, or they would read the block wrong and run right into where the tackler was being pushed. It is amazing how much improvement was made by the same guys in 2014.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Roddy Jones, because he set the model for the rest of them. Besides which, he clocked Georgia in '08.
Roddy set the bar high, I agree, but Robbie raised it. Robbie was just as good a blocker, but he was a much better receiver and ball carrier. That said, Roddy is one of my all time favorite Jackets, all class and character and darn good player.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We haven't had the "perfect A-back" yet. I agree with many of the comments about Robbie, Orwin and Jones. But each seemed to have a limitation. But for injuries and a bad shoulder I think Charles Perkins had all the earmarks -speed, size and blocking ability. Always felt bad that injuries and bad luck retarded his development. He certainly never gave up and worked hard.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

ball carrying,
blocking,
receiving,
ball security,
toughness,

I thought Godhigh until I saw your list. I wouldn't have counted Allen, but if you are including him in the mix I don't see how he doesn't get the vote. He's really the only NFL caliber AB we've had.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Roddy, minus UGA game, was not the elusive runner or threat in the passing game that Robbie was. I can only think of one time where the first defender tackled Robbie

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Roddy, minus UGA game, was not the elusive runner or threat in the passing game that Robbie was. I can only think of one time where the first defender tackled Robbie
Roddy had 3 seasons as a top AB. Robbie only had 1. Both of these guys are the reason Orwin looked so good running the ball (his blocking left much to be desired).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
eh, I think Roddy was better at pretty much everything than Godhigh was. And I loved Robbie, but I think Roddy was a better blocker, ball carrier, and receiver.
We couldn't and didn't go wrong with either, and while I thought Jones would be the pick, I admit it is not possible to erase from my memory that incredible space launch of Godhigh, all 5-8 of him (generously) out of a pack of three UNC DBs and tumbling 3-4 yards backward into the end zone in '13. There was a guy who by all measure should not even have been on the field, a 2-star PFO, as I remember, beating the bejabbers out of a pack of 3-4 star recruits. A real feel-good story.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Roddy had 3 seasons as a top AB. Robbie only had 1. Both of these guys are the reason Orwin looked so good running the ball (his blocking left much to be desired).
To me the only advantage Orwin Smith had in running the ball was an uncanny ability to get to the edge on the rocket toss, or toss sweep. We have not had an A back since who could do that with such predictability.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
It was Godhigh hands down. He was elusive, worked hard on every play, great at cutbacks, and just seemed to make every catch thrown his way. Very football smart if you ask me. The others were very good too. Especially AA... but none were the total package like Robbie.