Best 10 QBs In History of ACC - Joe Hamilton #6

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Well, the comment about the triple option is funny, because..........when Joe Ham was quarterback Ralph ran the triple option. He ran it out of the I and he ran the Flex Bone. Go You tube Clemson Ga Tech 1999.

In the Gator Bowl v. ND, we came out in a wishbone set after the half and ran option all the way down the field to the end zone. ND had no idea how to defend it.

Friedgen could run so many different sets and plays from those sets--and run them well. He was SO efficient at practice. It was all scripted, and no wasted time.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In the Gator Bowl v. ND, we came out in a wishbone set after the half and ran option all the way down the field to the end zone. ND had no idea how to defend it.

Friedgen could run so many different sets and plays from those sets--and run them well. He was SO efficient at practice. It was all scripted, and no wasted time.

That was genius by Big Ralph and didn't Andy Hall QB the Triple Option right down the field while Joe watched? Just to show ND something they weren't prepared for?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty hard to rank any position due to the limits of the era. You could argue Lothridge, Jones, Godsey, Hamilton, McAshan, JT, Dewberry, Gary Lanier, Kim King, Pepper, Frank Broyles, Prokop, Froggy Morrison, Red Barron, and one game wonder Ken Whisenhunt. I'm sure I left a few out.
If one could include defensive skills, Wade Mitchell is right in there. Big, fast and strong, a good passer and a deadly tackler from safety in single platoon days.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Tenuta's D beat the daylights out of him all game long and he never blinked. That's when I knew he had a great NFL career ahead of him!

Had "flashback" to that game this weekend watching Matty ICE stay cool against Seattle's pressure. Ryan was damn good that game. (... okay and many others too)

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Joe Hamilton is one of the more forgotten stars in the ACC, due in large part to the lack of national attention that the current program garners. Make no mistake, Paul Johnson’s triple option system is very effective, but, it is an ancient form of football limited to mainly service academics. That being said, Joe Hamilton was a standout for the Yellow Jackets during his time in Atlanta. While at Georgia Tech..."[/I]

Nice to see Joe get some well-earner recognition, but man what a load of ignorant anti-GT propaganda crap! CPJ's "antiquated" [emoji849] system has NOTHING to do with Hamilton's legacy whatsoever! The reason(s) he's one of the ACC's more forgotten stars is because he never made an impact in the NFL (and of course mf Ron "no gain" Dayne). Most of the names on this list went on to become well-known in the pros.

Last edited: