BEATING UGA

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Would that put Tech in the Orange Bowl regardless of what happens in the ACC Title game?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Would that put Tech in the Orange Bowl regardless of what happens in the ACC Title game?
If Clemson loses to USC again, then I would say yes. If Clemson beats USC, then it unfortunately might be a toss up the way the CFB Playoff rankings have been going.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I would say yes. The tricky thing comes if we lose to UGA and FSU. That perhaps gives Clemson or Louisville a shot simply due to us losing an extra game.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
there is no way Clemson would sneak ahead of us if we lost to FSU (just like they did) beat them head to head, and beat another team that beat them.

jeffgt14

I can see Louisville getting the nod if they whoop Notre Dame this weekend. But it’s hard to put the 3rd place team in the Atlantic in the Orange Bowl especially since they lost to Clemson. But if you tried to put Clemson in over us well we would’ve lost to UGA and FSU just like they did but we beat them straight up. Logically we should be a lock no matter what but logic and that committee don’t co-exist.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Capital One Orange Bowl
If the ACC Champion does not appear in one of the semifinal games it will participate in the Orange Bowl. When the Orange Bowl is a semifinal site in future years, the ACC Champion will participate in one of the other New Year's Six bowls, either the Fiesta or Peach. The ACC opponent in the Orange Bowl will be a team from the SEC, Big Ten or Notre Dame. If the ACC Champion is participating in one of the CFP semifinals, the next highest ranked ACC team according to the final CFP Poll will take its place in the Orange Bowl.

PJ4Prez

Georgia Tech Fan
Assuming FSU wins their next 2 games then yes. If FSU loses one before ACC championship game, we beat UGAg, and then we lose to FSU in ACC championship game then I think there is a chance we don't make Orange Bowl.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So I am getting this right, if we were to end up beating FSU in the ACC Championship game, that would put us in the Orange, correct. That would also likely have the effect of putting FSU, a team that will have won something like 27 of their last 28 games, in a second tier bowl like the Peach. Is that right? Good for us, ouch for FSU and the ACC.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
So I am getting this right, if we were to end up beating FSU in the ACC Championship game, that would put us in the Orange, correct. That would also likely have the effect of putting FSU, a team that will have won something like 27 of their last 28 games, in a second tier bowl like the Peach. Is that right? Good for us, ouch for FSU and the ACC.

It's likely that FSU would be selected to play in one of the other NYD bowls.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't forget Louisville. If we beat UGA and UL beats Kentucky, I'm sure the committee would see fit to bump UL over GT by virtue of their victory over an SEC team that's improving while we beat a SEC team that's a little down this year.
Posted it as I was writing it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Correct, if we lose two we aren't going to the orange.
Im not 100% sure on this. If we lose a close game to UGA and Clemson loses a close game to SC then we are probably going to remain the top ranked ACC team for the Orange Bowl. If we then lose another close game to FSU, then im not so sure they would drop us all that far. Minnesota lost to Ohio St last weekend and didn't even drop a spot. It will be interesting to see how the committee handles the teams that lose conference championship games to highly ranked teams. Maybe this is wishful thinking though.

jeffgt14

Im not 100% sure on this. If we lose a close game to UGA and Clemson loses a close game to SC then we are probably going to remain the top ranked ACC team for the Orange Bowl. If we then lose another close game to FSU, then im not so sure they would drop us all that far. Minnesota lost to Ohio St last weekend and didn't even drop a spot. It will be interesting to see how the committee handles the teams that lose conference championship games to highly ranked teams. Maybe this is wishful thinking though.
Minnesota was looked favorably upon because they had a coach eating ice cream in the freezing cold weather which was awesome.

I also forgot to add that while I do think we are in the Orange Bowl no matter what if we beat UGA, we would still need FSU to not lose a game as well. If FSU loses to BC or UF, they’ll be out of the CFP so we’ll have to beat them to make the Orange Bowl.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If it comes down to us and Louisville and they get an orange bowl berth because we played two top 10 teams to end the season, then that would be pretty unfortunate. We blew out two teams that they lost to.

jeffgt14

That’s the problem with were we are ranked right now. We are only 4 spots ahead of Clemson and 6 spots ahead of Louisville. All 3 have 2 games left. If we lose 2 and Clemson and/or Louisville win 2 how are we supposed to hold them off?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I just want to beat uGA. This team has done a good job of taking care of business since UNC and keeping their eye on the prize. Hoping we get the W against both uGA and FSu. Then the playoff committee can pound sand as we will have done what we could and needed to do. 11-2 with wins over VT, Clemson, uMiami, and uGA would be awesome.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i don't see the committee punishing us for losing in the title game; unless its as corrupt as we all think it may be.

if we beat UGA we are in IMO