BDS Attendance

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Could be worse. Central time zone could start at 11.

There are only 6 or 7 home opportunities a year. I don't care when they kick - let's play ball. Last weekend without a game wasn't near as much fun.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
There are 9 next week. Across 13 weeks, that would be 117. Don't know that it is exactly the same every week, but about 120 should be close enough.
Even better. Multiply that by 10 years, and you have enough data to select based on "quality of match-up", so that FBS-vs-FCS cupcake games (where a lower draw is expected anyway) could be excluded, while still leaving adequate statistics for making conclusions about attendance impact.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are number one for different color fan shirts.

Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 6.01.04 PM.png

Animal02

Banned
True enough. The point is, teams that get screwed (in attendance revenue) by repeated noon games are not getting compensated for the sacrifice they are making being forced to make for the sake of league coverage, while the folks dictating the time slots are not held accountable for the financial impact of their choices on individual teams. So maybe we should sue the ACC for a greater share of their TV revenues, since we are taking a disproportionate ding in our ticket sales. Surely someone who is making money off this venture should appropriately compensate the teams who are taking it on the chin in order for them to rake in the cash.

Sure, its not a big deal (revenue-wise) to the primary beneficiaries (league/networks), but do the math: if a noon game costs us 5k in attendance, at (guessing an average) $40 per seat, that's $200k per game, and if we have 5 noon home games, that's $1M in annual revenue. I'm sure we could find something to do with that much income--money that we are not getting solely because of our crappy start times.

If we are going to complain (to the league, to the networks, I don't care), that's the point we should make: their choices cost our program revenue outside the flat television income stream, so that stream should factor the cost we bear into our compensation--not on a league level, but on a team level.
Playing devil's advocate.......let us say it cost 10k in ticket sales / game.....at $65 a ticket. that is 65k / game and 390-455K a season......compare that to the revenue received from the broadcast rights.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I have not. I emailed him prior to the start of the season about a totally unrelated (though, I thought, significant issue), and he not only responded overnight but resolved the issue the following day. I was very impressed both with his rapid response and the fact that he took action on it. But I don't want to be perceived as an alum who emails him all the time about all kinds of issues, no matter how important I think they are. In other words, I don't want to come across as a pest. I am hoping that someone else (or others) will do that. I would certainly be more than happy to add my name to a list, however. I wish someone either in attendance tomorrow night, or by phone call or twitter, would ask Johnson about it on his call-in show.
What exactly would you ask CPJ (re: Noon starts)?

He already said last week that he prefers early starts at home because you dont have to wait all day yo play + it allows him time with the family later on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

He already said last week that he prefers early starts at home because you dont have to wait all day yo play + it allows him time with the family later on Saturday.

I'm not sure about this. Tech gets $13MM a year to play when the networks tell us.

It's all about content. Win more + play better opponents = better content value ... and a later start time.

I guess I would ask something like, "with the apparent negative effect on attendance that noon starts have, is there anything that can be done to either minimize the number of noon starts or to make attendance at those games more attractive to the fans?"

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I would ask something like, "with the apparent negative effect on attendance that noon starts have, is there anything that can be done to either minimize the number of noon starts or to make attendance at those games more attractive to the fans?"
Fair... I guess you might get a snarky response from him about supporting the Jackets regardless of start time or opponent.

This should be a question directed at tSTAN for a future podcast with Andy Demetra.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I know of 4 season ticket seats that would be purchased if not for 2 of the reasons you stated above. One of my buddies is now paying more for Falcons season tickets as an alternative to GT because he anticipated most GT home games would be at noon on Saturday, and he is in ALTA. He was happy to eat the cost for a game or two, but it no longer made sense as of a couple years ago when he started eating half or more of the cost.

I don't know if he is representative of the problem at large, though I've met others who have passed on season tickets because of their children's youth sports. Perhaps there are those who are coming to games because of early starts and are offsetting the issue. I have no data of scale to support other than personal experience that says noon starts are detrimental to attendance.
... maybe ALTA should play games on Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday... just saying ;)

Fair... I guess you might get a snarky response from him about supporting the Jackets regardless of start time or opponent.

This should be a question directed at tSTAN for a future podcast with Andy Demetra.

I would probably preface it by saying that I go to all the games, no matter the time, but.....
I agree directing that to TStan on a podcast would be great.