BC Series

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Let's just sweep this thing and end any drama....

One question...with a 30% chance of rain tonight, and a 90% chance of rain tomorrow night, dropping to 20% on Saturday, will GT shuffle any schedule start times around to try to get the games in? Or will they play a DH on Saturday if Friday night gets rained out?

One thing we cannot afford, is long rain delays that force us to change pitchers tonight. The nightmare scenario is a long rain delay in the third inning that forces Gold out of the game....and out of the series.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
"Let's just sweep this thing and end any drama" Ditto!

Never 'easy' to sweep anyone; but with BC it is in the realm of the possible. Quite deep analysis follows. o_O

What favors Tech:
BC has lowest team BA in ACC. Note to pitching staff... just throw strikes.
BC is 3-9 on the road in conference play (1-8 in last 3 road series).
Tech's offense is scoring runs on the regular.

Concerns:
One thing. It rhymes 'bitching'.

Like I am curious about the weather mitigation too. I seem to recall seeing that Sunday play is NOT an option; therefore, anything they do to the schedule will be in the Thurs-Sat window.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
An early game rain delay on Friday could be in our favor for tomorrow though. Their stud P is slated to start tomorrow. He's a top 30 draft prospect.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Gold not sharp, team defense up and down.....kinda shaky so far and trail 3-1. Team that executes that way doesn't deserve to go anywhere. But there's 7 more innings

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
4 runs in the 3rd helps. Tech leaves the bases loaded, but leads 5-3. Go Jackets!

Nothing for BC in the T4, onto the B4 we go..

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Bases loaded with 1 out for BC after a CJ error. Need a ground ball DP here.

Gold Ks one. Aaaand another K ends the inning! Tech still leads 6-3. BC strands 3.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, what a game so far. I'm driving up to Canada for some weddings and swearing in the first. My wife informs me she would like to live.......

Anyway, kind of funny about who to pull for from WREK. If we are trying to get to the top 6 with a sweep we want some teams to win. If we want to get into the tourney with one win, then we root for the other team.

Too much for me. I'm still just rooting for GT.

Update: Gold is a stone cold killer. Strikes out two with bases loaded and one out in the seventh. Only gave up one run in 7 innings. Hope he gets a big pay out in the draft.

GT still up 6-3 to B7.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Zac comes in and takes care of the 8th. Keep him in the 9th with a 3 run lead or bring Gorst in?

Given how strong Zac looked, I'd leave him in........ win this one and I think we are likely going to be playing baseball past Saturday.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Zac comes in and takes care of the 8th. Keep him in the 9th with a 3 run lead or bring Gorst in?

Given how strong Zac looked, I'd leave him in........ win this one and I think we are likely going to be playing baseball past Saturday.
Gorst could start on Saturday. Hall may not need him today and tomorrow, though.

Edit: Nope, Gorst on for the save.

No messing around from Gorst. 2 Ks and the Jackets have 1 (no sweep by BC) win. Go Jackets! Wrap up the win tomorrow..

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That was a nice win after a horrific start. We had two first inning errors which let in two BC runs. Gold wasn't as sharp as usual in the early innings, as he was giving up more than one hit per inning early. But we settled down after we got the lead, and Gold settled in nicely later in the game. Nobody ha mentioned it yet, but Past's play to pick the BC runner off at third base not he first inning saved us at least one more run and really blunted their momentum. They still got two unearned runs, but think about the situation had that play NOT occurred! Past is a real contributor for us!

BC then played poorly in after their nice start, with three errors letting us back into the game. I had to leave after about the 5th or 6th inning, but it was nice to see Zac Ryan contributing again! In his 14 pitches, 12 strikes! THAT is the Zac Ryan we saw last year. His addition would make us a different team going into post season play....(or could, anyway).

I had not notice did before now, but BC's next two starters have ERA's below 2......noticeably better than whatever we can put out there. The both allow opposing hitters to hit less than .210 against them. Goodness. I am suddenly worried and am now hoping we can just split these two games, as sweeping them seems a long shot unless we get stellar pitching performances, Their team ERA is more than a full run below ours, and they have allowed half as many unearned runs as we have....and we just threw our best pitcher against their #3 starter.......

I sure hope we can find a way to scratch out a win...I think it will be challenging. I now see how BC has come on so strong in recent series (winning series against WF, VPI&SU and Louisville) because they moved today's starter from the bullpen into a starting role, and he has been a gem.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
One more thing...high chance of rain all day today...question whether we can get a game in today....if we can't, what will be the plan? Anyone know? DH tomorrow? Or just play one and wrap it up?