BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder if at year 4 of Collins (if he makes it that far) you will include his year one record.

It's also not a rebuild if you have tools in place to run a successful system. There was no need to "rip the band-aid off". That was the coach's decision and ultimately his fault for not playing to a team's strength (he should be held accountable for his choices). He should have transitioned the team more slowly to the pro style he wants to run.

It sure seems like you're doing plenty of defending in these two posts.

We attempted to use those tools and it was over by Temple after it didn’t work. Our best lineman was transferring regardless if CPJ stayed or left. So I’m not sure exactly tools we had to work with

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I came into this game thinking we had a great chance to pick up a win. After the first series they were on offense, I had to rethink.

I saw a BC offensive line that was bigger and more mature than our defensive line. They had no trouble pushing aside our lighter, younger bodies and opening lanes for their backs. A freakishly athletic linebacker would have helped, but we don't have anyone like that at present. There is no remedy for that that I know of. At some point our safeties tried to come to the line quicker to stop their backs, but then they exploited that with passes. Their play-caller did a good job for them.

The only way we could have won this game was for the offense to have played error free ball and put up big numbers too. And of course that didn't happen.

Until we can grow and/or recruit bigger d-linemen, we are going to struggle every time we face big, veteran o-lines.
Yes I think specifically our DT's are struggling, which is tough to recruit at Tech. I don't see why every team we play the rest of the season won't try and run the ball down our throats.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I came into this game thinking we had a great chance to pick up a win. After the first series they were on offense, I had to rethink.

I saw a BC offensive line that was bigger and more mature than our defensive line. They had no trouble pushing aside our lighter, younger bodies and opening lanes for their backs. A freakishly athletic linebacker would have helped, but we don't have anyone like that at present. There is no remedy for that that I know of. At some point our safeties tried to come to the line quicker to stop their backs, but then they exploited that with passes. Their play-caller did a good job for them.

The only way we could have won this game was for the offense to have played error free ball and put up big numbers too. And of course that didn't happen.

Until we can grow and/or recruit bigger d-linemen, we are going to struggle every time we face big, veteran o-lines.

No. It’s time to win with what we got *sarcasm*

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We attempted to use those tools and it was over by Temple after it didn’t work. Our best lineman was transferring regardless if CPJ stayed or left. So I’m not sure exactly tools we had to work with
You know we had more than 3 wins in it. Do you really believe 3 wins was ok/the ceiling for last year?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
CGC comes in on unequal footing and he makes this bet
Sounds like you are unwilling to hold up your end of the bet and pay up the $1000 if you lose.

How is the footing unequal? CPJ achieved his best season, 2014, with his own players. When Collins gets his own players in, you don't think he can do better than that? He is a good recruiter, so he should have a hell of a lot more talent than Paul did by then.

I want to have to pay you the $1000, I really do, because then we all win - Tech is good/great again which is worth $1000 to me, and you make money and can say you were right. But if we are still going to suck, and it looks like we are from a lot of the coaching I've seen, well then we all lose but at least I get something beneficial out of it.

Answer this: what is the average you believe Collin's will attain, what will the floor be after 4 years, and what will his peak be?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
pretty stupid proposition.

but I’ll take that bet since i don’t anything to lose
Just like Bobby Ross does not have of the better records because he inherited a weakly talented team, Collins will probably not have a great career record even if he turns out to be a great coach. The bet is actually whether Collins can better Paul Johnson 2014 record of 11-3. It looks like a poor bet even if Geoff Collins turns out to be a good coach.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
CGC comes in on unequal footing and he makes this bet
Sounds like you are unwilling to hold up your end of the bet and pay up the $1000 if you lose.

How is the footing unequal? CPJ achieved his best season, 2014, with his own players. When Collins gets his own players in, you don't think he can do better than that? He is a good recruiter, so he should have a hell of a lot more talent than Paul did by then.

I want to have to pay you the $1000, I really do, because then we all win - Tech is good/great again which is worth $1000 to me, and you make money and can say you were right. But if we are still going to suck, and it looks like we are from a lot of the coaching I've seen, well then we all lose but at least I get something beneficial out of it.

Answer this: what is the average you believe Collin's will attain, what will the floor be after 4 years, and what will his peak be?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A common leadership mistake that typically leads to a bad culture is focusing too much on the vision and not on the actual path/culture required in achieving it. Success doesn’t immediately come and people start blaming each other for it and not trusting their teammates. If not addressed the culture becomes toxic.

This is so very true. Well said. I have seen and lived it in my career long ago. I think of this statement from Nelson Mandela-

"Vision without action is just a dream, action without vision just passes the time, and vision with action can change the world."

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Some of y'all are worse than me. We suck right now. Plain and simple and show absolutely no signs of improving this season. CGC isn't going anywhere for the next 4 years so we should probably just try and be optimistic about next year.

I will continue to be Deborah Downer in the present time but I am still going to be hopeful for next year and the year after. Gibbs is special and Sims has talent. I think we can at least pull for them to make improvements over the course of this year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think it's pretty safe to say Georgia Tech has joined the ranks of teams known as The Little Sisters of the Poor in the college football world. Wish I hadn't gotten that Money Down tattoo.
I'm afraid you are right. Tulane Duke Syracuse . Even Wake is better than us now. We are more like an AAC team. We are an easy A.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As I have watched Tech on TV this year I have been struck by how “on message” the commentators have been. I have heard how players on the line have gained weight, how CGC needs his type of players, what a colossal rebuilding job this is, how much better the offense is now on third and forever, how the players are so much more athletic now, and even “it’s more about process than winning with the program now.”

From the beginning with CGC I wondered if he really believed it when he said, “This is the greatest transition in the history of football” or whether he was just trying to inoculate himself from the inevitable fan criticism that comes to all Tech coaches when they don’t win right away. His steady drumbeat certainly has TV talking heads on board, to the point where CPJ is indirectly accused of being a bad coach and the source of all that was wrong with the program.

I hate that CPJ didn’t get the support from the AD that might have made him a more consistent winner. Now we are in year two of the experiment which says we are no longer going to get by on the cheap, we are not going to compensate for recruiting disadvantages like Army and run a special system, and we are going to compete on an even basis with the Clemsons of the world. Will Tech fans be more patient than they were with Ross, who almost left the year before the national championship, and how long before we know the experiment is working?

Throughout Tech’s history coaches have used innovation to try to even the playing field, from offensive shifts, to the belly series, to the cover 2 defense. CGC is saying we can play it straight up and beat them on their own terms. In theory, everyone is all in on this.

Being a fan means you have the right to argue and complain. Will CGC having a 7 year leash give him the space he needs to make this work? If the situation grows toxic whose fault will it be and how will we know objectively if the CGC “process” was the answer? Simply put, we are going to need a winning season by 2022. So far we are not seeing a lot of progress toward accomplishing that goal.

slugboy

Staff member

Having big defensive tackles is great, but teams get by with size disadvantages there. We’ve rolled out with guys like Vance Walker and Joe Anoa’i, and at their biggest they were around 300 lbs. Almost any team would like to have an Aaron Donald, but I think even with better recruiting a nose tackle of that caliber is going to be a rarity.

Offensive linemen often outweigh defensive linemen—it’s not just here. UCF has a couple of 285 defensive tackles that wreak havoc through speed.

I’m not sure what our coaches want for our defensive line, but it’s fairly common these days to have a leaner and faster DT with a heavier DT who can take up blockers and plug up the middle. Djimon Brooks and Jamal Camp are two of our biggest defensive linemen at 305 lbs. Chimedza weighs in at 312. Our OL outweighs or DL on a per-man basis, and that’s true at a lot of schools—I’m sure it’s true at most.

We could definitely use a couple of space eaters at NT, and I agree there. It’s really one position on the DL where we don’t have size in comparison to other programs. Some factories and Big10 schools might be bigger and stouter at both inner DL positions.

Last edited:
As I have watched Tech on TV this year I have been struck by how “on message” the commentators have been. I have heard how players on the line have gained weight, how CGC needs his type of players, what a colossal rebuilding job this is, how much better the offense is now on third and forever, how the players are so much more athletic now, and even “it’s more about process than winning with the program now.”

From the beginning with CGC I wondered if he really believed it when he said, “This is the greatest transition in the history of football” or whether he was just trying to inoculate himself from the inevitable fan criticism that comes to all Tech coaches when they don’t win right away. His steady drumbeat certainly has TV talking heads on board, to the point where CPJ is indirectly accused of being a bad coach and the source of all that was wrong with the program.

I hate that CPJ didn’t get the support from the AD that might have made him a more consistent winner. Now we are in year two of the experiment which says we are no longer going to get by on the cheap, we are not going to compensate for recruiting disadvantages like Army and run a special system, and we are going to compete on an even basis with the Clemsons of the world. Will Tech fans be more patient than they were with Ross, who almost left the year before the national championship, and how long before we know the experiment is working?

Throughout Tech’s history coaches have used innovation to try to even the playing field, from offensive shifts, to the belly series, to the cover 2 defense. CGC is saying we can play it straight up and beat them on their own terms. In theory, everyone is all in on this.

Being a fan means you have the right to argue and complain. Will CGC having a 7 year leash give him the space he needs to make this work? If the situation grows toxic whose fault will it be and how will we know objectively if the CGC “process” was the answer? Simply put, we are going to need a winning season by 2022. So far we are not seeing a lot of progress toward accomplishing that goal.
This post is spot on as I have been saying this is an experiment, to see if we can out recruit and out talent most of the teams on our schedule. Not sure we will ever do this against Clemson and UGA. But there are many that believe Tech can recruit on a level close. Now I will just flat out say it, we never have and never will, but I think we need to finally prove it one way or the other. I give this coach 4 years. Next year we need to see a 6 win team and year 4 an 8 win team. Then we see where things are. I am not certain we can go 7, particularly if we are not improving, and improving means wins and losses.

Right now I see a team digressing. I said before this game if we get blown out, which we did, then we have some real issues. The schedule is not our friend as I only see a maybe win with Duke left. And if ND shreds us what will the players do.

For me, I would like to see us put in more of a scheme to cover our shortcomings, as we have done most years, but let the experiment play out. If it works then we should all be happy. And working to me means an ACC Championship, or at least get to the game. If it doesn't then we can put that idea to bed and get a staff that runs a scheme.

Game on.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Hamilton was also in his 3rd year (R-So) when it happened for him.
When the spring practices were canceled early, I was convinced Sims and Gleason wouldn’t be able to start due to lack of time in the system. I think the free year helped the decision to start sims not that he didn’t win the job.

Joe had a redshirt year and still struggled, so I was prepared for Sims to have a few struggles as a true freshman. We will not be in games with a minus three turnover ratio that leads to 21 points no matter who the opponent is. I know that isn’t only issue for this team but putting ourselves in 17 and 21 point deficits due to turnovers changes the whole game.