BC Post Game Melt Down Thread

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
So the current class is ranked around 50 based on average stars. Funny how we were winning games under CPJ without all these great recruits....Collins needs to win 11 games in year four and at least 7 next year or he is gone.
Haha this comment is just dumb and you know it. That may be your opinion, but it’s not true. Collins could win 5 next year and 8 the year after and he’d 100% get another year.

I know you're not a fan of the offense and prefer the prior, but look at the stats and drive chart and see if you come away with the same conclusion.

Mason had 6 total carries on the game.

Sims led 8 meaningful drives (excluding end of 1st half). Here's how they ended.
  1. 51 yard drive, well within FG range, but no FG kicker meant turnover on downs
  2. Sims fumble - unforced
  3. Sims lacked 1st down sticks awareness - Punt
  4. Mason fumble
  5. Sims throws a dime - TD (53 yard drive)
  6. Sims throws a dime - TD (91 yard drive)
  7. Sims TD run (75 yard drive)

Since you cited our D points per game against BC during the CPJ regime as a barometer, I'll point out that CPJ broke 20 points once against BC in 3 tries. Points per game is a silly statistic though. But if you're going to use it, then using it consistently would suggest CDP > CPJ on this one.
He never lost

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Georgia Tech undermines collins case that it's improving

Mistakes , weak defense fuel techs loss to Boston college

herb

Helluva Engineer
I am growing apathetic.

the most dangerous emotion to a program
I know you're not a fan of the offense and prefer the prior, but look at the stats and drive chart and see if you come away with the same conclusion.

Sims led 8 meaningful drives (excluding end of 1st half). Here's how they ended.
  1. 51 yard drive, well within FG range, but no FG kicker meant turnover on downs
  4. Mason fumble

Since you cited our D points per game against BC during the CPJ regime as a barometer, I'll point out that CPJ broke 20 points once against BC in 3 tries. Points per game is a silly statistic though. But if you're going to use it, then using it consistently would suggest CDP > CPJ on this one.
how many of those did we win?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I hear the issue about coaching. That will be answered over 2021 and 2022. But, I also hold the players accountable. It shouldn’t take a coach ripping you by the facemask to not line up offsides on defense. Or not to jump offsides on a 3rd and 2 especially when any one can see the offense was probably not going to snap the ball. It shouldn’t take a coach to tell a six year player to not run past the kicker on an onside kick. Or for an offensive player to not move until the ball is snapped. I get it - that’s on the coaches. But, these are freaking grown men on the field and they need to look in the mirror. And how long is Sims going to go without learning to slide properly - it ain’t that hard, spend an hour watching Russell Wilson videos on youtube.

A lot of our issues can be easily addressed by the players giving a darn to get better. In how many games is our right tackle going to get multiple false start penalties until he decides he wants to be a better player. I tell you one thing - the most professional player who simply handles his business and wants to be good is Gibbs. Other players should follow his lead and just take their position on the team seriously. Gibbs doesn’t need a coach to tell him to use two hands when in traffic or to hit the hole on 3rd and 2 instead of dancing. These are things every player knows by the 8th grade.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear this LB just entered the transfer portal this evening - CBs for GT! 🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 9340

The coaches promised him a new number!
1603587779645.jpeg

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Other than our defense, kicking and turnover problems:
-We had every review go against us. The first two were the same exact kind of play, and ours was stands and theirs was a call reversal. The interception was a bad call then, stands.

-we jumped offside again on 3rd and short hard count.

-Why the fake punt at the 30? Was anyone fooled? Still made a hell of a throw, but line up and go for it.

-If we had a merely mediocre kicking game, we wouldn’t have to go for it anyway. Points are better than a turnover, and we leave too many on the field.

- Gibbs is really a special player. I can’t wait to see him play the next few years.
We won the Brown TD review

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Should sit Sims for a game or three. Let his head catch up to his butt.
This. Graham came in and I saw a lot of improvement over how he looked last year. He threw a few passes that were on the dime, but the receivers dropped them. I blame this on the game "being over" and the receivers were either trying to catch and run or just didn't have their head in it, but the passes Graham threw looked good.

I definitely think we should consider starting Graham against ND next week. Just my opinion. At the least have some plays where we get him out there and call a trick play where he throws it to a guy down field.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Haha this comment is just dumb and you know it. That may be your opinion, but it’s not true. Collins could win 5 next year and 8 the year after and he’d 100% get another year.
Maybe if he wins 8, but if he wins 5 and 5 or even 8 and then 5, he may be gone. After 4 years, they would start to look at an extension. Tough to recruit with less years on your contract than the kid would be at the school.

Deleted member 2897

4. Mason fumble

People forget how truly horrible takeaways are and especially defensive TDs. Or the other team getting the ball on your 10. If you score something like 2.5 points per drive, a giveaway like that costs 7 + 2.5 points. That’s why huge takeaway margins are so impactful. 3 giveaways that close to our own end zone cost MORE than 21 points, since we’re missing out on about 2.5 points per drive too.

This. Graham came in and I saw a lot of improvement over how he looked last year. He threw a few passes that were on the dime, but the receivers dropped them. I blame this on the game "being over" and the receivers were either trying to catch and run or just didn't have their head in it, but the passes Graham threw looked good.

I definitely think we should consider starting Graham against ND next week. Just my opinion. At the least have some plays where we get him out there and call a trick play where he throws it to a guy down field.
I agree with this. We need to win some games. Not that we will beat ND but if our OC would put in some 2 back with option with Graham we will move the ball and score.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
People forget how truly horrible takeaways are and especially defensive TDs. Or the other team getting the ball on your 10. If you score something like 2.5 points per drive, a giveaway like that costs 7 + 2.5 points. That’s why huge takeaway margins are so impactful. 3 giveaways that close to our own end zone cost MORE than 21 points, since we’re missing out on about 2.5 points per drive too.
This why when people say Sims turning the ball over doesn't matter since he moves the ball better than Graham did last year makes me raise an eyebrow... like what? I'd rather have a QB that doesn't turn the ball over personally.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. It’s amazing that no one wanted a Qb carousel but advocating for one now
The difference is Patenaude would do the QB carousel like every drive, or even DURING a drive, last year and we all hated that. It is totally different from the fans wanting him to start a different guy in a game because Sims is prone to 2+ turnovers a game.

Seriously, Graham had less turnovers the entirety of last year than Sims has in 6 games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Which year was it when CPJ was here that the defense was so bad that we simplified it mid-season and we got much better?