BC by the numbers

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is the type of game we have not faired well in lately. BC is strong on the LOS and we are average (being kind here). That's really where most games are won or lost. Unless we get a lot of turnovers and do not commit any (or many), I do not see us winning this one. It will be a lot closer than last Saturday but the odds of us winning are pretty low.

Go Jackets!

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I remember when Syracuse couldn't complete a pass if the other team walked off the field. Then they played us.

I see where BC is running for what - barely over 2 yards/carry? The more I think about this game, the less I like it. Unless we play no turnover ball and convert on 3rd down in which case we might win a shootout. Yikes. And to think I thought the back 7 would be the strength of our defense.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is the type of game we have not faired well in lately. BC is strong on the LOS and we are average (being kind here). That's really where most games are won or lost. Unless we get a lot of turnovers and do not commit any (or many), I do not see us winning this one. It will be a lot closer than last Saturday but the odds of us winning are pretty low.

Go Jackets!

What suggest BC is strong on the LOS?

Deleted member 2897

BC board is basically conceding that they can’t run the ball on anybody this year.

We’ll probably play a cover 8 then since “they can’t run” and that will solve that. 😃

Im hoping we play a cover 1 most of the game and bring the chaos. If we’re going to lose, let’s at least be aggressive and bring the pain. Let the boys have some fun!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
A couple of asides on BC team roster:
Tackle Tyler Vrabel is the son of Mike Vrabel, the Titans head coach
Holder Joe Tessitore is the son of ESPN play by play guy Joe Tessitore (a BC alum)
Freshman tackle Ozzy Trapilo is the son of the late Steve Trapilo, who played at BC and then in the NFL. He was a pretty good OL back in the guy for BC. And little Trapilo played at BC High. There is a Boston College High School in Boston.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We’ll probably play a cover 8 then since “they can’t run” and that will solve that. 😃

Im hoping we play a cover 1 most of the game and bring the chaos. If we’re going to lose, let’s at least be aggressive and bring the pain. Let the boys have some fun!

Cover 11 sounds fun. So long as their RB trips on his own before reaching the LOS, we can't lose!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hate relying on sites for stats, so I’ve started learning some R basics to quickly throw things like this together. You are right with regards to ggplot :)
In that case you might find JAMOVI useful (https://www.jamovi.org). This is based on a sub-set of R that is included in the distribution (Warning, Will Robinson! The app is pretty big). It's menu driven and very easy to use. I still use R a lot for my work, but JAMOVI is growing on me.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to mention Hadley Wickam and Garrett Grolemund. 2017. R for Data Science. Sebastpol CA: O'Reilly Media. This is a great book! I'm not even half way through it, but it has been very helpful.

Btw, Sebastpol is a very nice little town, right in the middle of the Russian River valley. Arguable the prettiest part of California.

slugboy

Staff member
This chart is fun to play around with. https://collegefootballdata.com/metrics/season. You can swap around the numbers.
I'm not saying this comparison makes much sense--the horizontal axis is points per scoring opportunity (defense, lower is better) and the vertical is total havoc (defense, higher is better). Pitt's got a good defense, and by ACC standards, Clemson has an awesome defense.
(I'm not putting any weight on this chart--just having fun)

1603462103722.png

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This chart is fun to play around with. https://collegefootballdata.com/metrics/season. You can swap around the numbers.
I'm not saying this comparison makes much sense--the horizontal axis is points per scoring opportunity (defense, lower is better) and the vertical is total havoc (defense, higher is better). Pitt's got a good defense, and by ACC standards, Clemson has an awesome defense.
(I'm not putting any weight on this chart--just having fun)

View attachment 9321
What did this chart look like before GT played Clemson?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to be like it’s always been, little to no pass rush = making a Mid QB look like Superman. It seems like the only way our defense has ever been good is when we get turnovers. Even in 09’ and 14’. I’m rambling but I’m just still so devastated our defense has been this bad. I’m worried about this game.