BC Baseball

How many games will GT win versus BC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have done this twice recently and it always drives me crazy. I hate when our guys swing at the first pitch after the pitcher just loaded the bases on a 4 pitch walk. Make the guy throw you a strike before you swing the bat.
Coaching?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I've sent my email in to J Batt. Not that it will really matter as i'm not Texiera but I've been a baseball season ticket holder for going on 10 years. Make multiple road trips including this year along with buying a ton of tech baseball items but this is the same result each and every year and I'm just over it.

I'll be there tomorrow since my son's season is on pause for spring break but the juice is starting to empty.

I'm with ya. I used to be really passionate about going in person, etc.

But it's just gotten old. I might get back to my former intense interest level when Tex isn't the CEO of the program. I just don't vibe with blind loyalty.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Something that is seems strange to me. We're into the 7th weekend of the season and we have established 2 solid starters; but the "hole" is the Fri guy. You think this has sort of turned into a plan/strategy? Throw the best arms on Sat and Sun.... and just flail around on Friday? Turns the weekend pattern into the same one we see in individual games... forced to scramble from behind most of the time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Something that is seems strange to me. We're into the 7th weekend of the season and we have established 2 solid starters; but the "hole" is the Fri guy. You think this has sort of turned into a plan/strategy? Throw the best arms on Sat and Sun.... and just flail around on Friday? Turns the weekend pattern into the same one we see in individual games... forced to scramble from behind most of the time.
Last weekend didn’t follow that pattern. Otherwise I’d agree

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Fred,

This has been curious to me as well.

I do believe that Aeden and Logan are better "fits" for the Saturday and Sunday roles.

Since Cam was likely the projected Friday guy that didn't work out, they are still scrambling.....

At this point, it's time for the future of Tech baseball pitching to get the ball.
Tate and Carson need to be put in the Friday slot to prepare them for the future as we are likely not tournament bound for the second straight season so let the future take over now and see how they handle it.

Tate and Carson both are 18 and have quality stuff. Carson got knocked around yesterday but has performed very well in midweek games. Maybe he needs to learn how to pitch against acc competition vs Ga State or Southern.
I like Tate McKee as he also has had some nice moments this year and also has quality stuff but Carson has performed more in the starters role.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fred,

This has been curious to me as well.

I do believe that Aeden and Logan are better "fits" for the Saturday and Sunday roles.

Since Cam was likely the projected Friday guy that didn't work out, they are still scrambling.....

At this point, it's time for the future of Tech baseball pitching to get the ball.
Tate and Carson need to be put in the Friday slot to prepare them for the future as we are likely not tournament bound so let the future take over now and see how they handle it.

Tate and Carson both are 18 and have quality stuff. Carson got knocked around yesterday but has performed very well in midweek games. Maybe he needs to learn how to pitch against acc competition vs Ga State or Southern.
I like Tate McKee as he also has had some nice moments this year and also has quality stuff but Carson has performed more in the starters role.
Ok... perhaps it's just shuffling of the deck chairs; but I want the Fri guy to be the guy that gives us the best chance to win Game 1 any given weekend. If that is one of the young guys you mention, then fine; but we have not seen those results, yet.

Not sure if you're saying this... but I do not like 'developing' inexperienced guys by having them pitch Fridays in the ACC. There are other, less risky (for their confidence) options that are better. That's just my opinion.

Like I said, though. This is just shuffling deck chairs if we have 3-5 starters all tied for 'best option' ... and that could very well be where we are.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok... perhaps it's just shuffling of the deck chairs; but I want the Fri guy to be the guy that gives us the best chance to win Game 1 any given weekend. If that is one of the young guys you mention, then fine; but we have not seen those results, yet.

Not sure if you're saying this... but I do not like 'developing' inexperienced guys by having them pitch Fridays in the ACC. There are other, less risky (for their confidence) options that are better. That's just my opinion.

Like I said, though. This is just shuffling deck chairs if we have 3-5 starters all tied for 'best option' ... and that could very well be where we are.
The guy that has the best stuff is the Junior Cam Hill that should be taking that role of Friday Night Starter.

Cam has performed very well in the summer leagues to garner significant attention.

That same pitcher hasn't done that here in Atlanta. Now we can debate as to why he hasn't done that here but that horse has already been buried.

He has the stuff that could very well get him drafted by the mlb as they know they can develop someone with Cam's talents in the major leagues which has been a significant weakness at tech (pitching development).

I clearly think Tate and Carson have better stuff than Patel but they are just raw as I don't feel that is just rearranging the deck chairs. They are just not ready yet but when do you get them ready. I believe in talent over experience unless that talent just fails to perform. Rare is at that you will see a freshmen perform at high levels that young. Think Leiter and Rocker of the Vandy Boys that did that on the freshmen stage at the highest level.

If you want us to have the best shot of winning on Friday, well then move Aeden to Friday and Logan to Saturday and take your chances on Sunday. Either way its still a hole to fill no matter the day.

I would agree with not developing the young freshmen if we had a chance to make the tournament this year or compete in the upper level of the acc but realistically are your expectations that this years team makes the tourney....If the answer is yes, you have to go with Cam Hill and just hope that the kid finds his game and soon.

Only 3 of our 8 losses is due to the lack of offensive production. Same story. New Year.

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow

My guess is that they wanted to keep Finateri and McGuire on the once a week schedule until forced to change that, and have just been hunting and pecking for a Game 1 pitcher. Hall probably looked at the schedule and knew that this weekend (just the 3rd of the conference season) he would have to move them up a day, so he was willing to bide his time these first three series until that reset came. I would be willing to bet that Ballard goes back to mid-week next week against Presbyterian, Finateri goes next Friday against Pitt, with McGuire on Saturday and Mr. TBD on Sunday.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We had first and third with one out and Lovett was thrown out at the plate trying to score on a fly ball.
A 'fly ball" brings visions of a ball hit to an outfielder somewhere in the vicinity of where they stand at the beginning of the play. This was a pop up behind the 2nd base bag. Yes, it was a fly ball in the sense it was hit in the air, but no not a typical fly ball.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
One of the rare ones where pitching does enough to win, and the bats don’t show up.

Pretty crazy to see BC throw a pitcher 8 innings and our best inning comes early. I forget who said it in chat, but opposing team’s all seem to have a Cy Young waiting to pitch against us.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Bases loaded in three different innings

One run

Terrible ab's almost the entire night....

Can't blame pitching...4 scoreless innings till BC broke through in the 10th for Tate and King. Aeden did his job giving up only 2.

I just got home from the game and there is nothing more to say except we just lost the series at home to the worst team in the acc...What will Charlottesville, Clemson, and FSU road trips look like???

I'll go again tomorrow ....but its getting harder and harder to not eat the season tickets till a real investment in the program is made to change....

Does the AD have the guts or even care about baseball as he did for basketball and football....
Changing landscape of nil, conference realignment , etc.....No excuses for the program to perform this poorly on a consistent basis....

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not blaming Cabrera or Batt for not forcing a logical retirement last year after Colin had finished. This seems all Tex in my humble opinion. Hopefully, wheels of change are starting to turn.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh i don't blame Cabrera or Batt. It's 100% on TS. He put tech here by giving an extension to cdb and cdh....

And now the burden was placed on the new AD...definitely not his fault...

This is a tough decision to be made but that's why he was brought here from Bama...To make those difficult and challenging changes....
The crowd size was decent yesterday but I'd guess that was due to the students wanting the Gt Chain giveaways last night...

what's more interesting...career all time wins or the tech program.....to Tex and Cdh....asking for a friend

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the immortal words of Paul Johnson "it is what it is."

BC played a good game with several really nice defensive plays. I respect their win and team attitude.

We had three innings where I counted the pitches it took for them to get three of our guys out; 7, 7 and 9.

All is fine though, we'd make the ACCT today as #11. And we've won 64% of our games (16/25). Won't be that good at the end of the season when we start playing good teams again. @Pitt next week is the easiest remaining series. Then we hit teams which have been winning more; 10-20 in ACC play looks reasonably optimistic.

1711801223694.png