Baye Declares for NBA; Retaining Eligibility

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I see Baye as more of a Caleb Swanigan (RIP) type player. Incredibly effective at the collegiate level but a man without a country at the next level until he stretches his game out

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
If you are certain to be drafted, you should go. Is Baye one of the top 64 players in the draft pool? I don't know. Before he declared he was somewhere between #150 and #200. FWIW, Kelly was not in the top 100.
I can see going if you can make the 1st round. Hasn't it changed where being a 2nd round draftee is not so great. 2 way contracts & way less money. I believe there's a # of NLI paying more than the NBA for a 2nd round draft spot.

Tourneybound20

Georgia Tech Fan
Closet thing to Al Jefferson that I've seen.Slippery post game,finishes with both hands,uses the basket well to ward off defenders finishing on the other side.Bouncy with good face up shot mechanics and a natural for being so young in regards to attacking the basket from the top of the key off the dribble.Showed he could spin and finish with both power and finesse.He makes free tnrows...and blocks shots.He handles on the break better than most 6'9" bigs and will "measure" well at the combine if he takes it that far.I'm hoping for a "your a breakout year from the lottery,go back to Tech...dominate and make yourself a multimillionaire." 🙏

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Closet thing to Al Jefferson that I've seen.Slippery post game,finishes with both hands,uses the basket well to ward off defenders finishing on the other side.Bouncy with good face up shot mechanics and a natural for being so young in regards to attacking the basket from the top of the key off the dribble.Showed he could spin and finish with both power and finesse.He makes free tnrows...and blocks shots.He handles on the break better than most 6'9" bigs and will "measure" well at the combine if he takes it that far.I'm hoping for a "your a breakout year from the lottery,go back to Tech...dominate and make yourself a multimillionaire." 🙏
You realize that this year there were only 4 rookies who made real impacts in the NBA and one was actually a second year guy who missed all last season due to a knee injury. They were the 2023 #1 (Wembanyama) and #2 (Miller) picks, the 2022 #2 pick (Hologram) and the outlier was the 2023 #16 pick. (Jaquez from UCLA playing for OKC).

Tourneybound20

Georgia Tech Fan
You realize that this year there were only 4 rookies who made real impacts in the NBA and one was actually a second year guy who missed all last season due to a knee injury. They were the 2023 #1 (Wembanyama) and #2 (Miller) picks, the 2022 #2 pick (Hologram) and the outlier was the 2023 #16 pick. (Jaquez from UCLA playing for OKC).
He's about 3-4 yrs. away from being a rotational player in the league.His game reminds me of a unique player in Al Jefferson, Baye is unique and going to be special.Ask yourself how many times this year looking back can you remember thinking "I can't believe he made that shot!"... jump hook from 12ft contested,spin move lefty finish and one from the top of the key,follow up dunk,face up 3 in the clutch,huge block etc etc...I was flabbergasted by some of his play this year.I pray he comes back!

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We know not all invitees attend as a few usually decline and still get drafted. How many players, if any, can we expect will get drafted and were not invited to the combine?
I am not disagreeing, but players not in the top 100 or so need the combine to get attention. I believe both guys are good enough to play in the NBA, but so are lots of other players. Getting drafted is the best way to have that opportunity and the combine would have been their best route. Maybe they will have individual workouts and impress one or more teams. We'll see.

I hope they return and not getting a combine invitation improves our chances of them staying at GT.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am not disagreeing, but players not in the top 100 or so need the combine to get attention. I believe both guys are good enough to play in the NBA, but so are lots of other players. Getting drafted is the best way to have that opportunity and the combine would have been their best route. Maybe they will have individual workouts and impress one or more teams. We'll see.

I hope they return and not getting a combine invitation improves our chances of them staying at GT.
Fingers crossed for returning to school, especially for Ndongo.

slugboy

Staff member
We know not all invitees attend as a few usually decline and still get drafted. How many players, if any, can we expect will get drafted and were not invited to the combine?
I can’t find exactly that info, but if you’re not at the combine, you probably won’t get drafted. There were 23 undrafted players that made NBA teams last year. Fred Van Fleet and Ben Wallace might be the two most famous undrafted players

There are probably about 800 or so juniors and above in tournament eligible basketball, not counting the one-and-dones. The odds of an undrafted player making a team aren’t bad; the odds of being that player are slim.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can’t find exactly that info, but if you’re not at the combine, you probably won’t get drafted. There were 23 undrafted players that made NBA teams last year. Fred Van Fleet and Ben Wallace might be the two most famous undrafted players

I think the report I saw said 23 undrafted players played in at least one regular season or playoff game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My scouting report on our two guys in the draft:

Ndongo has a nice game around the basket. He is VERY athletic and runs the floor like a guard. He plays with a lot of energy and his size is perfect for college level games. He is undersized for a 5 in the NBA and has not demonstrated his ability to play facing the basket outside 15 feet. He took on 12 3-point shots last season, making four (one was a bank in as the shot clock expired). He needs to protect the ball better (he had almost 3 TOs per game last year).

Kelly's game has to be as a shooter, but his shooting actually regressed last year. He has the range to be an NBA guard, but hitting only 35% in college is not a highlight on his resume. And, his defense is only average.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I believe they changed the rules about the combine as part of the new CBA. Starting this year, if you are invited to the combine, you must attend and participate.

I'm going by memory, so may be mistaken, but believe that is the new rule.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe they changed the rules about the combine as part of the new CBA. Starting this year, if you are invited to the combine, you must attend and participate.

I'm going by memory, so may be mistaken, but believe that is the new rule.
Neither of our guys were invited to thee combine, but the G-League camp is still a possibility. If they are not invited to that there's really not much reason to stay in the draft pool if you can get serious NIL by remaining in school. G-League invites will be announced Monday.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Neither of our guys were invited to thee combine, but the G-League camp is still a possibility. If they are not invited to that there's really not much reason to stay in the draft pool if you can get serious NIL by remaining in school. G-League invites will be announced Monday.

This list is Givony's list, not the official list. Some players are posting on social media that they received invites. He is predicting others.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This list is Givony's list, not the official list. Some players are posting on social media that they received invites. He is predicting others.
If Givony's list is correct, Ndongo will have some stiff competition at forward to be one of the handful of players invited to the Combine after the G League camp. I think Tomlin and LeDee are good bets to be drafted. My neighbor said he heard Kelly is likely returning to GT. He said his source was on the UNC staff. As a UNC fan, he hopes Ndongo is drafted (I wonder why he would feel that way???).