Baye Declares for NBA; Retaining Eligibility

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think he’s there quite yet but not shocked he wants to check it out.

I also think that with his raw potential and frame, when he DOES get draft-ready it would be for lottery money that NIL would struggle to compete with anyway - especially since the second contract is where the huge money is.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Just when it felt pieces were falling into place; this is jarring. ONE MORE YEAR! ONE MORE YEAR! Has option to return, but also puts portal recruiting on ice for his spot; DEFINITELY have to hold his place in case he returns. If CDS maxes roster on transfers, we’ll know that he knows. 🤞

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
There are ways around it. They've absolutely got NIL dollars lined up for Baye.
The big question is: does someone have more NIL dollars lined up for Baye?

I think CDS' offense is uniquely positioned to give Baye lots of highlight reel opportunities but sometimes that bigger number can do most of the talking.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Besides doing an international trip and getting the athlete money when they are outside the US, what other legal ways exist? Genuinely curious.
Nope. You've got it. That's the workaround. As long as they go somewhere international, they get paid while there. Doesn't have to be a school or team trip. Just need to head out of the country.

The other work around is a bag full of cash, but not advisable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nope. You've got it. That's the workaround. As long as they go somewhere international, they get paid while there. Doesn't have to be a school or team trip. Just need to head out of the country.

Does he have a Binance or Coinbase account? Asking for some friends...

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Asking for a friend, does the NIL cash payment meeting have to be at an international game in which the athlete is participating?

If not, could a representative of an international NIL provider request an interview with an unnamed college athlete at his office in some Caribbean Island nation? After a very successful interview, a contract is signed, and an advance cash payment for the future contracted services are provided. Does that fit the NIL rules?

If the rules are sloppily written and a decent lawyer can provide enough legal cover, the workaround sounds like a easy path to follow.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Asking for a friend, does the NIL cash payment meeting have to be at an international game in which the athlete is participating?

If not, could a representative of an international NIL provider request an interview with an unnamed college athlete at his office in some Caribbean Island nation? After a very successful interview, a contract is signed, and an advance cash payment for the future contracted services are provided. Does that fit the NIL rules?

If the rules are sloppily written and a decent lawyer can provide enough legal cover, the workaround sounds like a easy path to follow.
Let's keep it simpler than that.

Player goes to international territory, posts an ad to his IG account for an NIL provider, the provider sends a wire to the player's international bank account.

I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works, but it could be as simple as that. They can't earn income on U.S. Soil.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's keep it simpler than that.

Player goes to international territory, posts an ad to his IG account for an NIL provider, the provider sends a wire to the player's international bank account.

I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works, but it could be as simple as that. They can't earn income on U.S. Soil.
Could he go to the Senegal Embassy in DC and meet someone? According to international law the embassy is the national territory of the nation whose embassy it is.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They can't earn income on U.S. Soil.
This is the key. He is here on an F-1 Student Visa which does not allow him to work, even passively. Failure to comply with the F-1 rules can result in immediate deportation and serious limitations on re-entry. He has to be very careful with the agent that he does not inadvertently cross the line where USCIS gets interested in his lifestyle. I am sure they are already watching closely.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the key. He is here on an F-1 Student Visa which does not allow him to work, even passively. Failure to comply with the F-1 rules can result in immediate deportation and serious limitations on re-entry. He has to be very careful with the agent that he does not inadvertently cross the line where USCIS gets interested in his lifestyle. I am sure they are already watching closely.

I don't know anything about F-1 Student Visas, but if even passive NIL income (not sure what that means) can lead to deportation. The easy path to cash just went over a cliff. It probably happens a lot, but it appears to be illegal.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a comment I made back in February. I was hoping to get some conversation going about this decision then, but I think it got buried because I posted it in a game thread. And/or it just wasn’t relevant yet.

Looking ahead, one thing that’s concerning is that he’s only a year younger than PJ Hall. If I’m Ndongo, not sure I can wait until I’m 23-24 to start my pro career especially when my skill level is already this high as a 21 year old freshman. The quickest way for him to develop (in terms of physicality, consistency, and playing better competition) is in the G League. He’s not getting Bacot $ at Tech, he won’t be a first round pick because of his age, and he won’t get a degree (at this stage in life) because he’s too good to stay 4 years (and would mean he’d be a 25 year old rookie). Would like to hear other’s opinions on this and where I may be missing the mark.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not common to get drafted - and especially not in the first round - out of the G-League. Visibility is low and the money is pretty poor too, that's not a path someone who wants to be a high pick is going to voluntarily choose.

If he takes a big step forward next year, especially with outside shooting, I think he's still young enough to be a lottery pick as a "old" sophmore.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
It's not common to get drafted - and especially not in the first round - out of the G-League. Visibility is low and the money is pretty poor too, that's not a path someone who wants to be a high pick is going to voluntarily choose.

If he takes a big step forward next year, especially with outside shooting, I think he's still young enough to be a lottery pick as a "old" sophmore.
At the start of the 2023-24 NBA season, 50% of players on opening-night rosters possessed G League experience. It’s not what it used to be. He’s not gonna be a high pick regardless.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
This draft is considered to be weak especially when compared to the next 2 years. Nobody expects Baye to be here for 4 years and this is a chance for him to get into the league earlier and potentially be drafted higher than he would be drafted next year.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
At the start of the 2023-24 NBA season, 50% of players on opening-night rosters possessed G League experience. It’s not what it used to be. He’s not gonna be a high pick regardless.
I thought you meant go straight there instead getting picked through the regular draft - that’s an inauspicious path https://gleague.nba.com/nba-draft-history

Though I still think aiming to be a second round is a bad strategy, good chance of going unsigned at the NBA level and washing out after a year or two of what, 50k?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I thought you meant go straight there instead getting picked through the regular draft - that’s an inauspicious path https://gleague.nba.com/nba-draft-history

Though I still think aiming to be a second round is a bad strategy, good chance of going unsigned at the NBA level and washing out after a year or two of what, 50k?
He’d go undrafted, get to pick his team (based on likeliest path to make a roster), play well enough in camp/summer league to get on their G League team and ideally be on a two-way contract (each NBA team gets three of these). That’s his way in to get solid money, basketball development, and NBA experience. Simultaneously.

The G league history is irrelevant at this point because the rules are completely different now. The NBA believes that the G league is the second most talented basketball league in the world, and they’ve invested in it as such.