Basketball Rankings

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Did some research and found this:

Teams within a conference that have played three times in the regular season cannot meet before the regional final (Elite Eight). If two teams have played twice during the season, they cannot meet before the regional semifinal (Sweet Sixteen). That rule applies to non-conference matchups as well.

Since we only play Miami once, I think this would be fine
No. 10 seeds have won 39.2 percent of the time with a record of 47-73. LSU (1987), Texas (1990), Temple (1991), Providence (1997), Gonzaga (1999), Kent State (2002) and Davidson (2008) advanced to the Elite 8 as No. 10 seeds. A No. 10 seed has never appeared in the Final Four.

One of the most notable No. 10 seeds is the 2008 Davidson team that featured Stephen Curry.

If you remember, 1987 was the year we were a No. 7 seed and lost to No. 10 seed LSU in our 1st round game.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
No. 10 seeds have won 39.2 percent of the time with a record of 47-73. LSU (1987), Texas (1990), Temple (1991), Providence (1997), Gonzaga (1999), Kent State (2002) and Davidson (2008) advanced to the Elite 8 as No. 10 seeds. A No. 10 seed has never appeared in the Final Four.

One of the most notable No. 10 seeds is the 2008 Davidson team that featured Stephen Curry.

If you remember, 1987 was the year we were a No. 7 seed and lost to No. 10 seed LSU in our 1st round game.
Conversely, we were a 10 seed in 2010 with Derrick Favors and beat Oklahoma St in the first round - went on to lose to Evan Turner and Ohio St in the 2nd round.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Such an absurd waste of talent that I must now insert my highly repetitive statement that Hewitt should've been fired after that season, but LazyAD gonna LazyAD.

Yeah but he built stuff!

astonishment-24732895.jpg

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No one would confuse me for a Hewitt or D-Rad fan, but we very close to a National Championship in basketball under Hewitt. His recruiting and coaching met my standards up to that time. I think we all expected that success to continue.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
After last night's game...

*Note that ESPN is currently projecting that teams must be in the top 46 to get an at large bid

ESPN BPI: 43
RPI: 40
Sagarin: 52
Kenpom: 52
Massey: 52
TeamRankings: 41
KPI: 54

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After last night's game...

*Note that ESPN is currently projecting that teams must be in the top 46 to get an at large bid

ESPN BPI: 43
RPI: 40
Sagarin: 52
Kenpom: 52
Massey: 52
TeamRankings: 41
KPI: 54
I think we can all relax and feel not much bad happened to our NCAA chances last night. A win would have been great, but we're still right where I thought we would be.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't like being considered "In" this early in the season. I need to see some more consistency before I have expectations beyond squeaking in to the NIT.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The loss to VT hurt. Bad.

Not reflected in the rankings is the way we lost. Reflected back to last year in a way I am having trouble reconciling.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No one would confuse me for a Hewitt or D-Rad fan, but we very close to a National Championship in basketball under Hewitt. His recruiting and coaching met my standards up to that time. I think we all expected that success to continue.
What do you think happened? Too many one and dones? Bad luck? Complacency set it? Hewitt looked like the guy at first but then became the guy that we would cross a room to get away from. What happened?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What do you think happened? Too many one and dones? Bad luck? Complacency set it? Hewitt looked like the guy at first but then became the guy that we would cross a room to get away from. What happened?
The two years with Jack/Elder/Ish/Luke et al were heady years. I think the administration lost touch with reality. That contract was never deserved.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO biggest reason was not getting the point guard situation figured out after Jack/Bynum left. Why he never could? Probably any number of reasons contributed some in, and some out, of his control.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... well there technically is a way... but I understand it is looking more daunting than it did before the last 10 minutes of the VT game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We were not/are not going to the tournament. We never were. This team had/has NIT aspirations.

CBB is all about about PG play and coaching. We have very little of either.