Bally?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Just received an email from Comcast that they're increasing prices for '23. With the increase and a promotion that expires in Jan. '23, my bill's going up about $70/mo. I'll prob'ly be cutting the cable as a result. Since Comcast is pretty much the last company to carry them, I'm curious what the future is for Bally Sports and GTFB? I figure that I can just pay for the Bally stream during football season, and still come out way ahead.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
Just received an email from Comcast that they're increasing prices for '23. With the increase and a promotion that expires in Jan. '23, my bill's going up about $70/mo. I'll prob'ly be cutting the cable as a result. Since Comcast is pretty much the last company to carry them, I'm curious what the future is for Bally Sports and GTFB? I figure that I can just pay for the Bally stream during football season, and still come out way ahead.
Call them and get another promotion if you want to keep cable. I do that every year for Spectrum, it's a pain but I like cable. Or you can go the route you're thinking of and get Bally+ and use another streaming service for your other channels, it'd end up cheaper, but it may not have all of the channels that you're currently receiving.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Call them and get another promotion if you want to keep cable. I do that every year for Spectrum, it's a pain but I like cable. Or you can go the route you're thinking of and get Bally+ and use another streaming service for your other channels, it'd end up cheaper, but it may not have all of the channels that you're currently receiving.
Good point - I'll give them a call. The wife likes Comcast, mainly because she's familiar with the guide layout. Our last adventure with streaming didn't go well.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
Good point - I'll give them a call. The wife likes Comcast, mainly because she's familiar with the guide layout. Our last adventure with streaming didn't go well.
Yeah, I call and just plainly tell them that my promotion's ending and ask what new promotions are available, it's only a pain because you have to do it every year, but it'll save you money. I do the same for Sirius radio in my cars.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
This is when I think Adam Smith spins in his grave. Capitalism is supposed to make your choices transparent and easy but the annual (sometimes monthly) decisions about how to get the best TV service are absolutely Byzantine.
If it were just me, I'd go OTA for all but 5 months of the year and a monthly streaming service for football season...

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I do the same for Sirius radio in my cars.
I just talked to Sirius last week. They finally have a plan that's just $7/mo per radio with no renewal. I couldn't believe it - changed both my vehicles over to it(one didn't expire for a couple more months).

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
I just talked to Sirius last week. They finally have a plan that's just $7/mo per radio with no renewal. I couldn't believe it - changed both my vehicles over to it(one didn't expire for a couple more months).
If you're ok with auto renewal, you can get it for $5/month for 12 months plus taxes and fees. The auto renewal isn't bad because even if it auto renews because you forgot, you can call them for the new promotion and they'll credit you back for whatever portion of the regular price they charged you. Never go for their first or second offer, it's been 5/month for 12 for the last three years. Probably not worth it to call now, but just for the next time you renew.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Or you could go to bobby dodd.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Or you could go to bobby dodd.
1671329389316.gif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is when I think Adam Smith spins in his grave. Capitalism is supposed to make your choices transparent and easy but the annual (sometimes monthly) decisions about how to get the best TV service are absolutely Byzantine.
Ah, but remember what Smith said:

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”​

Yep. That's it alright.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Ah, but remember what Smith said:

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”​

Yep. That's it alright.
The “father of capitalism” clearly thought that was anti-capitalist. But then he had higher expectations for how markets are supposed to work than we do today. 😞