Backup QBs

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
In this offense I think it’s necessary.

I agree and I am for spreading the licks, QB and BB and enhancing the chance of full speed play all the time. At the same time insurance is being bought for an injury or other attrition.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The key to the qb is the ol. Creating space and occasionally havoc in the defense will make the qb look great.

If we dont build ol depth in those 3 games (regardless of the score), the oline will be in worse shape in 19 when Will, marshal and stick leave.

Are the offensive line instructions are so complicated that they can't be taught by the current coaches? Maybe its the system. Maybe its the coaches? I am thru blaming the players.
As opposed to a negative result, i see a big positive by the end of year. If we get ol depth that learns early in the year, by the end they will be a real asset. Consider the fun it could be if qbs, ol with depth and aggressive defense all peak in the last 3 games. I would be so happy to end season on powerful up note.

The assistant coaches that can't teach and coach up the backups to be at least servicable, need to take a major pay cut .

We have had some days when the (or some) OL were blowing their assignments, but I don't think that that has been the primary problem. In fact, I'm quite confident that there is not a problem with the scheme being too complex or not coached well.

I think that we were just too banged up by the end of last year and had little depth.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
In this offense I think it’s necessary.

Might happen, but disagree that it's necessity. Our QB play is so predicated on reads that rotating QBs takes some of that element away. Sometimes it takes a quarter or two to really recognize how the DLs are playing the option. I do think we could have a rotational QB "package", which is what Meyer did with Tebow when he would come in for Leak. We tried this with VL, but I don't think he bought in enough. Both QBs have to be at least willing to run the whole playbook.

Might happen, but disagree that it's necessity. Our QB play is so predicated on reads that rotating QBs takes some of that element away. Sometimes it takes a quarter or two to really recognize how the DLs are playing the option. I do think we could have a rotational QB "package", which is what Meyer did with Tebow when he would come in for Leak. We tried this with VL, but I don't think he bought in enough. Both QBs have to be at least willing to run the whole playbook.
Willing and ABLE