Backup QBs

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If TM continues to struggle passing then LJ should get a chance. If we will play him some then teams can't just prepare for our running game and must also prepare for passing. Keeps them guessing and shortens their prep against the run. We became very one dimensional last year. It was KB and TM running the ball.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
If TM continues to struggle passing then LJ should get a chance. If we will play him some then teams can't just prepare for our running game and must also prepare for passing. Keeps them guessing and shortens their prep against the run. We became very one dimensional last year. It was KB and TM running the ball.
2 QB systems sound good in theory. However, I don't know if I've ever seen a successful one. Maybe Tebow/Leak?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised at how smooth of a runner LJ is, and he makes some great cuts. If Tobius doesn’t make it as a QB then he might make a very dynamic AB, very quick and elusive in tight space

I'm surprised at reading our fans are surprised by LJs running abilities. The guy easily beat the entire defense last year on a long TD run. From reports, he actually does more damage to the defense with his legs than arm.

Lets also state the obvious: CPJ ain't recruiting anyone at QB if they can't make plays with their legs.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised at reading our fans are surprised by LJs running abilities. The guy easily beat the entire defense last year on a long TD run. From reports, he actually does more damage to the defense with his legs than arm.

Lets also state the obvious: CPJ ain't recruiting anyone at QB if they can't make plays with their legs.
And MJ beat the entire VT defense for a td a couple years ago, too. Goose beat the entire Uga defense back in 98'.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not that anyone is going here (yet), but I'll go in for a preemptive strike.

Marshall was handicapped last year by injury too. We had injury issues on the OL as well. Yet that context didn't matter to some who took their best shots at Marshall for the last 4 months.

We now have data for Lucas and Tobias. Read: something other than Hudl and pre-game warm-ups. Neither surpassed the mystical 37% in a game where they had no fear of getting hit. Let alone against a new defense that was missing 3+ starters and scrimmaged together a handful of times... if we want to normalize against the OL injuries. I am not drawing definitive conclusions off of a single spring practice, but it is at least interesting to me.

Some additional data:

(posted by @tech_wreck47 in the Offseason thread)

For what it's worth, I am not in favor of one QB over another. If forced to project, based on the fact that none of these guys had P5 offers at QB that I recall, I don't expect one of the backups to be head and shoulders above the incumbent. I expect that Marshall has a strong lock on the starting position as it stands today.
If you want to replace Johnson's starting QB you must pry him from his cold, dead fingers.

We have no QB battle except to determine the number 2. And it looks like we have got 2 good number 2 guys. TM is the QB for this year although I would like tot see the other guys get time. Hopefully we get way up on Acorn St. and Bolling Green.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have no QB battle except to determine the number 2. And it looks like we have got 2 good number 2 guys. TM is the QB for this year although I would like tot see the other guys get time. Hopefully we get way up on Acorn St. and Bolling Green.

The key to the qb is the ol. Creating space and occasionally havoc in the defense will make the qb look great.

If we dont build ol depth in those 3 games (regardless of the score), the oline will be in worse shape in 19 when Will, marshal and stick leave.

Are the offensive line instructions are so complicated that they can't be taught by the current coaches? Maybe its the system. Maybe its the coaches? I am thru blaming the players.
As opposed to a negative result, i see a big positive by the end of year. If we get ol depth that learns early in the year, by the end they will be a real asset. Consider the fun it could be if qbs, ol with depth and aggressive defense all peak in the last 3 games. I would be so happy to end season on powerful up note.

The assistant coaches that can't teach and coach up the backups to be at least servicable, need to take a major pay cut .

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
I was a member of the group who spent too much time worrying about Quarterbacks last year, so this year i'll sit back and let the coaches do their jobs. although! I still would love to see LJ get a lot more reps than last year bc its clear from both spring games he's talented.

Barring injury, TM will definitely be the starter in September. But I think he's got to hold on to that job by producing results.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With Tqm we have a very good runner that must be respected, which should open up the option and the pass.

With Lj we have what could have the flipside.

Then w the third guy we have a little of both.

No we don't have a middle linebacker as qb (Nesbitt), but we have a great line up .

As to riding tqm too the end again ( last games rushing way down and for every 2 passes we caught the defense caught 1 ), that is not on the table.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Oline canary for me is Will Bryan. If he’s able to stay at OG (maybe even stay at RT consistently) all year the outlook is outstanding. If he has to move to different positions across the line to plug holes we have a depth problem and trouble ahead.
I hope we don't just use him as a sub for fatigue - that's a waste and is the purpose of the backups.

I am wondering about coach shaking things up with a more athletic center ( Lee or Marshall) as on the give option we IMO need to get a little further down field to hit the MLB AND then not fall down while blocking which makes a pile for the bob to avoid. We seemed a little sluggish in the middle. Will watch every Gt play again from past years . I could see cooper as a Shaquille like Right Guard?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think TM is the clear starter and I don’t think he will lose his spot this year. LJ is 2nd, with TO close behind LJ. Someone else said it, but TO is like a clone TM and I agree with that. Some of us forget we are a run first team and no matter how good a QB can throw, CPJ is taking the best runner unless it’s close and the other QB is just worlds better at passing. What will be interesting to me is next year after the freshman JG has a year under his belt. I think he has a chance by his redshirt freshman year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I remain unconvinced as to the importance of completion percentage, especially in this offense.

Yards per attempt to me is a more telling stat because it combines completion percentage with yards per completion.

Tqm averaged 8 yards per attempt last year, good for third in the ACC.

Yes, he could be better, but I don't think he was as catastrophic as you guys make him out to be.

If the purpose of any play is to advance the ball down the field, tqm passing plays were, on average, more successful than most quarterbacks in the ACC.

Quarterback is the least of our problems on offense. The offensive line has to get better, much better, than they were last year when they were reckoned by some to be the strength of the team. Such is the life of an offensive lineman. When the quarterback is getting hammered everyone screams at the linemen but when things go great the feeling is "Well, you did your job whatta ya want?"

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The Oline canary for me is Will Bryan. If he’s able to stay at OG (maybe even stay at RT consistently) all year the outlook is outstanding. If he has to move to different positions across the line to plug holes we have a depth problem and trouble ahead.
If we lose any starters on the OL we have a problem.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I hope we don't just use him as a sub for fatigue - that's a waste and is the purpose of the backups.

I am wondering about coach shaking things up with a more athletic center ( Lee or Marshall) as on the give option we IMO need to get a little further down field to hit the MLB AND then not fall down while blocking which makes a pile for the bob to avoid. We seemed a little sluggish in the middle. Will watch every Gt play again from past years . I could see cooper as a Shaquille like Right Guard?

No I haven’t seen Bryan used like that at all. He is our Swiss Army knife though. When everyone is healthy he’s our #1 RG. When other guys go down, that’s when he gets shifted as we try and get our best 5 on the field.

If our 1s stay healthy the sky is their limit. The big question marks are if Marshall can play, if Cooper will be ready. Then we will go Lee, Braun, Coop, Bryan, Marshall.

If anyone other than Bryan goes down and Bryan can stay at RG rather than slide over or outside, we will be fine. That will mean someone else can step up and fill. But if Bryan gets moved around again it means we lack quality depth imo. And it means we will probably struggle a bit at the los.

Just my take.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Right now, TaQuon starts and LJ is no. 2, just as was the case at the end of last year. Coach loves QBs with game experience. Oth

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Graham end up at no. 2. He's a runner of great talent. From his HS film he would be the fastest and most elusive QB we've ever had under Coach at Tech. (More then Jones? Yes.) He can also throw, although that could use some work. True, he'd have to pick up the O and that alone should keep LJ in at 2. But if he's a quick study, look for some real competition at QB in the fall.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems Graham is bigger than jones and has better top end speed. I wish we still had Jones but I understand why he left -- practicing football is tough, playing is fun.