Backs

I think Benson will be the "bell cow" but Howard mixing in some.

Green and searcy are gonna be out there a lot and seems like cottrell is finally back to fully healthy. Lynch depends on how bad knee is all year. Maybe Jarrett or gantt gets a little action.
Benson and Q-fro will play. I don't think Howard plays yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. The A backs are fine. The plays create lanes that get 5, 6, 8 yards untouched. Win or lose, we will get 400 yards rushing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not sold on Cottrell, but hopefully he turns out to be a good one.

I have to ask this question..how does anyone form any type of opinion on Nate or Quaide or Benson or anybody until they actually get some meaningful data (i.e reps in game time conditions)? The inference of conclusions based on rumor and innuendo and speculation without any data whatsoever flies directly in the face of our education at Ma Tech.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I have to ask this question..how does anyone form any type of opinion on Nate or Quaide or Benson or anybody until they actually get some meaningful data (i.e reps in game time conditions)? The inference of conclusions based on rumor and innuendo and speculation without any data whatsoever flies directly in the face of our education at Ma Tech.

When I've eyeballed players in person, when I've seen their HS games, when I hear the coaches talk about their abilities is when I form opinions. This is not innuendo or rumor or speculation.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No offense, but I think the basic premise to your question is false.
We are two days from kickoff. I haven't seen anything about who the QB might be, ditto the B back, ditto the A backs, ditto ... if one were to tack up a marketing theme on how to turn fans off, start here. Tell 'em nothing; if they want to know something wait until the game. This board, which for years has been active and enthusiastic, has I think become quiet and in my mind not quite so enthusiastic. Maybe if Johnson doesn't want to be bothered with churning up interest in the program -- one always assumed it was good to have your program in public discussion -- he should hire an assistant coach in charge of telling us something. I have never rooted for another college football team and never will, but I am as unenthusiastic about the start of this season as any I can remember in any sport in any season. It is not that I think we will be bad. It is that I have no reason to think we will be good, much less special. I just don't know why I should be optimistic, and my impression in mentally comparing the '17 board with those in the past kind of reflects that generally.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are two days from kickoff. I haven't seen anything about who the QB might be, ditto the B back, ditto the A backs, ditto ... if one were to tack up a marketing theme on how to turn fans off, start here. Tell 'em nothing; if they want to know something wait until the game. This board, which for years has been active and enthusiastic, has I think become quiet and in my mind not quite so enthusiastic. Maybe if Johnson doesn't want to be bothered with churning up interest in the program -- one always assumed it was good to have your program in public discussion -- he should hire an assistant coach in charge of telling us something. I have never rooted for another college football team and never will, but I am as unenthusiastic about the start of this season as any I can remember in any sport in any season. It is not that I think we will be bad. It is that I have no reason to think we will be good, much less special. I just don't know why I should be optimistic, and my impression in mentally comparing the '17 board with those in the past kind of reflects that generally.
Well you're sure livin' up to your chosen moniker.

Deleted member 2897

Try harder to Fan. You're not doing it right.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Sheesh

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

actually, part of me agrees a bit with elements of Skeptic's post. Like it or not, the media exists. Some guys understand that and embrace it...Cremins, Valvano, Bobby Bowden come to mind. CJP seems to as well as he is building (and marketing) his program at GT. I am sure there are others as well. Those first 3 guys, in addition to being great coaches, generated a lot of good will and positive energy for their programs.
Then, at the polar opposite, are Bellichik and Saban. Of course, those guys can get away with churlish behavior with their resumes. Paul is on that side of the spectrum. I don't enjoy watching the pressers when the guy giving the interview makes it clear that he doesn't want to be there. As a result, I don't regularly watch the practice interviews linked here or elsewhere.
I just don't understand why use don't use the media and get them on your side like the first 3 guys did. I imagine that they answered the same inane questions from reporters that Saban or CPJ gets asked. (I get that you don't want to announce your starter at QB and the reasons why).

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
actually, part of me agrees a bit with elements of Skeptic's post. Like it or not, the media exists. Some guys understand that and embrace it...Cremins, Valvano, Bobby Bowden come to mind. CJP seems to as well as he is building (and marketing) his program at GT. I am sure there are others as well. Those first 3 guys, in addition to being great coaches, generated a lot of good will and positive energy for their programs.
Then, at the polar opposite, are Bellichik and Saban. Of course, those guys can get away with churlish behavior with their resumes. Paul is on that side of the spectrum. I don't enjoy watching the pressers when the guy giving the interview makes it clear that he doesn't want to be there. As a result, I don't regularly watch the practice interviews linked here or elsewhere.
I just don't understand why use don't use the media and get them on your side like the first 3 guys did. I imagine that they answered the same inane questions from reporters that Saban or CPJ gets asked. (I get that you don't want to announce your starter at QB and the reasons why).
Simple answer to this. The players listen to the media as well. In our history, every time the media starts talking about us, we fall flat on our face. He cares for one thing, the team. He knows their mindset and what is good for it better than we ever will.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the true media is becoming less and less impactful/matters than ever before. They have become narrative hounds. CPJ always says this. You guys do what you want to do to fit your narrative regardless of truth. I don't blame him. The true print media is now secondary to social media types that are normal people releasing facts. That is now more trustworthy. Paul has been saying for 3 years the ACC is every bit as good as the SEC. 2 of the 3 we have DOMINATED them head to head or in bowl matchups. Yet, the SEC is still the greatest. Its all bs. Thats why paul needles the hell out of em.

With that said, other than a small instances, Ken has been pretty fact driven. He did PO CPJ once regarding data/injury hunting iirc. But other media outlets are just plain farce for our program.

Jmonty71

Banned
I believe this is an effort to play that chess game with UT. Without naming starters, UT has to practice to defend multiple options. There is a difference between Jordan and the others, for instance. By not naming starters, I think CPJ believes it gives us an edge. Will it? Remains to be seen. My guess is, we'll see Jordan out there taking the first snaps. But, I would not be shocked to see another QB jump in also.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
While, for personal interest, I'd love to know more, the more important mission, by far, is does CPJ, the coaching staff, and the upper classmen players have the team ready to play?

If we are ready to play and play well, then none of us are going to care if CPJ released lots of info. If we play poorly, then none of us are going to care if CPJ released lots of info.

Whatever it takes to get the team in the best position to be successful is the priority.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
I do find it interesting how much CCC (Candeto) has to deal with in his first fall camp. Let's see how he does getting them all ready to play.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The key to being successful in our offense is to hit the hole fast and with a bad attitude. That is what I loved about Dedrick Mills. He was coming and he was bringing hell with him. I just don't know that Benson has that. If he does, he will be a hell of a back. I can tell Jerry Howard has that. I saw that in the scrimmage I went to. Quaide can do it but he has to lower his head and shoulder and bring it. Our A backs should be better blocking this year with experience. They have to put their foot in the ground and get upfield. If they let the defense wash them to the sideline they will be largely ineffective. It may not happen early but as the year goes along, our backfield should be a strength of the team.

Go Jackets!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
"I have to ask this question..how does anyone form any type of opinion on Nate or Quaide or Benson or anybody until they actually get some meaningful data (i.e reps in game time conditions)? The inference of conclusions based on rumor and innuendo and speculation without any data whatsoever flies directly in the face of our education at Ma Tech."

When I've eyeballed players in person, when I've seen their HS games, when I hear the coaches talk about their abilities is when I form opinions. This is not innuendo or rumor or speculation.

Oh I just wanted to resurface this thread given the performance by KB and Nate last night :D