Backs

Jmonty71

Banned
With our QB situation kind of up in the air, now more than ever our backs will need to carry the load. Which backs do you foresee being the star(s) for the team? I honestly am not sure.

So, let's discuss. Which B back comes out as the "go to" guy? Which A back will shine the most?

Really want to see everyone's thoughts.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think Benson will be the "bell cow" but Howard mixing in some.

Green and searcy are gonna be out there a lot and seems like cottrell is finally back to fully healthy. Lynch depends on how bad knee is all year. Maybe Jarrett or gantt gets a little action.

Deleted member 2897

With our QB situation kind of up in the air, now more than ever our backs will need to carry the load. Which backs do you foresee being the star(s) for the team? I honestly am not sure.

So, let's discuss. Which B back comes out as the "go to" guy? Which A back will shine the most?

Really want to see everyone's thoughts.

No offense, but I think the basic premise to your question is false.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It can be done either way, I think.

Looking back we've had teams where the BB predominates - the Dwyer years - teams where the ABs predominate - the Orwin Smith years - and years where the whole team gets involved - most of JT's time at QB. I think we're best when we have a BB who can occupy the D by the middle of the second quarter, but it doesn't absolutely require that. I hope we'll get good production out of our BBs this year, but I sure do wish I didn't have to say that.

But, of course, this year we'll need the D to step up big time early on to have success. The big part of the question is always on the other side of the ball.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Benson will be the "bell cow" but Howard mixing in some.

Green and searcy are gonna be out there a lot and seems like cottrell is finally back to fully healthy. Lynch depends on how bad knee is all year. Maybe Jarrett or gantt gets a little action.
I like from what I saw out of Benson.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
At BB I liked what I saw out of both Benson and Quaide. Both have been in the program awhile. Then you add Howard who is turning heads and seems likely to play. That's a lot of competition, so I feel good at BB. If the OL blocks they'll get theirs.

At AB Lynch's injury is concerning but Searcy and Green can play, with some good looking players in the wings in Cottrell, Jarrett & Gantt. With experienced WRs out there blocking on the edge I think--barring injuries--we'll be strong there too.

If the OL lives up to its potential then, we just need the QB to get us in the right play, play within himself, protect the football, and run the O/distribute the ball. With the competition at QB I think we'll get someone who can do that.

Our offense traditionally looks a little ragged early in the season as compared to late, so I think we see that phenomenon this season too. But to answer the OP's question I think the supporting cast for the new QB will be strong owing to competition at the skill positions and a fair bit of experience (except at BB).

Jmonty71

Banned
It can be done either way, I think.

Looking back we've had teams where the BB predominates - the Dwyer years - teams where the ABs predominate - the Orwin Smith years - and years where the whole team gets involved - most of JT's time at QB. I think we're best when we have a BB who can occupy the D by the middle of the second quarter, but it doesn't absolutely require that. I hope we'll get good production out of our BBs this year, but I sure do wish I didn't have to say that.

But, of course, this year we'll need the D to step up big time early on to have success. The big part of the question is always on the other side of the ball.
I greatly agree. I think if our D can keep teams off the field and less than 25 points, we'll have a decent season. If we start losing the TOP and the D can't force punts, we'll be in for a long season.

Jmonty71

Banned
At BB I liked what I saw out of both Benson and Quaide. Both have been in the program awhile. Then you add Howard who is turning heads and seems likely to play. That's a lot of competition, so I feel good at BB. If the OL blocks they'll get theirs.

At AB Lynch's injury is concerning but Searcy and Green can play, with some good looking players in the wings in Cottrell, Jarrett & Gantt. With experienced WRs out there blocking on the edge I think--barring injuries--we'll be strong there too.

If the OL lives up to its potential then, we just need the QB to get us in the right play, play within himself, protect the football, and run the O/distribute the ball. With the competition there I think we'll get someone who can do that.

Our offense traditionally looks a little ragged early in the season as compared to late, so I think we see that. But to answer the OP's question I think the supporting cast for the new QB will be strong, especially after the first half of the season.
I agree. I like from what I saw out of Benson. Searcy and Green are ballers, that is for sure. Of the QB can just limit turnovers, he can just distribute the ball and let them do the work.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I compared DM to Adrian Peterson (the real one), and I stand by that. For our current BB starter, KB, I have another GSU comparison: Jermaine Austin.
JA.jpg

5'8" 215. KB is definitely faster, but JA could slam the hole, push the pile, and squirt out for a huge play. I think we'll be solid at BB with KB and JH, primarily. JH could be an Anthony Allen type back. I see QW as Laskey Lite.

We are so much more talented at AB than we used to be, and that's no takeaway from the ABs from '08-'13. However, JJ, QS, and CL would've been the best AB on several of those teams. NC looks like a Snoddy clone (hopefully minus the bad luck).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
"5'8" 215. KB is definitely faster, but JA could slam the hole, push the pile, and squirt out for a huge play. I think we'll be solid at BB with KB and JH, primarily. JH could be an Anthony Allen type back. I see QW as Laskey Lite." Hmmmmmm :whistle:

I think we'll see 3 different backs but Benson will be Bell cow.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Benson will be really good. I love having a HR threat at BB, which is why I preferred Marshall. I hope he breaks a couple of long runs against the Vols. The ABs are pretty set. Once Lynch comes back he will play the most (and should) and Searcy and JJ will fill in and we will probably have mostly a 3 man rotation. I'm not sold on Cottrell, but hopefully he turns out to be a good one. I think people are sleeping on our WRs. They have a lot of experience and can make some big plays. If the QB can deliver the ball accurately I think we could be really good throwing the rock this year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
QW reminds me of Skov. Upright runner that can block and has soft hands.
The good news is, he isn't a RS Senior coming in from another program, and probably knows the offense better now than Skov ever did.

Quaide definitely needs to run lower. However, he does have vision that Skov lacked. In the spring game I was surprised how well Quaide moved laterally in the trash. IMO if there is space there Quaide will find it.

It's when there's NOT space there that Quaide concerns me....you have go in low and hard and take what's there, fall forward, get a few tough yards. Our offense is predicated on moving the sticks. Quaide's a strong dude, but he needs to get those pads down and run behind them. If he does that consistently IMO he'd be able to help us a lot (can block, can catch, knows the offense).

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Quaide I think would certainly keep us from being a liability at B-back when in the game. We really didn't even have that in 2014, so it's a big plus. Not keeping the pad level down is of course the common criticism, but he lacks the potential of Kirvonte. I hope KB blossoms in this role. I fear he'll have growing pains, and the biggest concern is hesitation at the LOS. He might break more long ones as a result, but firing into the hole with a low pad level is what CPJ really values because it gets those guaranteed yards when the read and blocking are right. It's the reason Dedrick was the guy in the first place. I only ever hear good things from CPJ about Jerry, which is reminiscent of Dedrick from last year, although he's had less time to learn the offense and integrate. I think whoever picks up the nuances faster and hits the hole harder between KB and JH will be the starter 6 games in with QW getting significant minutes early in the season and eventually not being in the rotation unless in case of injury or blowout.

But we'll be at least OK at BB so long as people stay healthy. A far cry from where we were in 2014. If we are just decent there, we'll probably feature ABs, QB, and passing game more intentionally, but otherwise I don't see significant drop-off from that spot in total numbers.

Madmaxvol

Georgia Tech Fan
While, I'm hoping for a UT win...I would really like to see a strong game from Cottrell. I watched him run a couple of times when he was in High School at West (in Knoxville). He is a hard nosed kid who always worked for extra yardage....but the thing I always noticed was how fast his first step was. He had such a quick burst of speed from a dead stop to top gear.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be convinced our backs (especially ABs) are a real plus when I see them blocking like they should, considering their level of experience. They can pretty much all run and catch. AB blocking improved a bit over the course of the year last season, but it wasn't where I would like it to have been. Until we block like we mean it, don't even talk to me about how good our ABs are, with or without CL. While I don't think our QB situation is "up in the air" at all, the production of our backs is certainly critical. ANY QB taking the reigns will need a corps of skill guys who are getting it done. At present, I am probably less informed now than I have been in several seasons, so I don't feel very confident making any predictions, but I will say this: if our skill guys block, and our current OL stay healthy, then we will all be really happy come December.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Quaid is going to surprise some people here. As I've said before, he reminds me a lot of Laskey. Coach is always harping about how he needs to "get his pads down", but he's one of the strongest men on the team (he might be the strongest pound for pound). That sheer strength might serve him well this year.

Well enough to start? I don't know yet. Well enough to be called on within the 10 to add some additional push? I don't know yet. Hope we get some answers - please, oh Merciful God, let them be positive ones - Monday night.