Backdoor ACC Championship Game?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Karma may not exist but superstition works in the sports world and I’m sure science proves it.

* he says on Friday the 13th
No doubt for the players, superstitious beliefs can alter performance. Fans? That would require a belief in extrasensory influences beyond the pale of conventional science, like bending forks with the mind.
But who knows? If quantum entanglement is a fact (and it seems to be), anything is possible...

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
No doubt for the players, superstitious beliefs can alter performance. Fans? That would require a belief in extrasensory influences beyond the pale of conventional science, like bending forks with the mind.
But who knows? If quantum entanglement is a fact (and it seems to be), anything is possible...
I don't but into any of that "fan superstition" mumbo-jumbo. The fact that our internet was out during the GT-(u)M game last weekend has nothing at all to do with the fact that I cancelled my home internet connection until January 2024.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That’s it! We need a witch ( or warlock) to exercise the magic of the quantum realm! Again! (I assume we already used it last Saturday for the first time!)

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Would that work? I'm not so sure. If Duke beats Louisville, but loses to FSU and ends up with one ACC loss then Duke would win the tie-breaker.

I think the easiest path would be for Louisville to win out and for FSU to only lose to Miami, and Duke to beat UNC, and UNC to beat Miami. That would give us the tie breaker over FSU. Duke would have at least two losses. UNC and Miami would have at loss to GT.

If it goes to a three way tie for second place, I would need to put together a spreadsheet to see all of the potential scenarios.

The most important thing would be to not lose another game. I think this team can be in every game, but it will take something special to win out.
I forgot to add duke looses to unc

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Would that work? I'm not so sure. If Duke beats Louisville, but loses to FSU and ends up with one ACC loss then Duke would win the tie-breaker.

I think the easiest path would be for Louisville to win out and for FSU to only lose to Miami, and Duke to beat UNC, and UNC to beat Miami. That would give us the tie breaker over FSU. Duke would have at least two losses. UNC and Miami would have at loss to GT.

If it goes to a three way tie for second place, I would need to put together a spreadsheet to see all of the potential scenarios.

The most important thing would be to not lose another game. I think this team can be in every game, but it will take something special to win out.
Just a quick look, so it might not be accurate. I think the easiest scenario after today's games is:

GT win out.
Duke beat Louisville, but lose to FSU and UNC
VT lose to anyone remaining on their schedule.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just a quick look, so it might not be accurate. I think the easiest scenario after today's games is:

GT win out.
Duke beat Louisville, but lose to FSU and UNC
VT lose to anyone remaining on their schedule.
I will regret posting this observation but after watching Miami and UNC I am convinced that UNC is the real deal. I don't think any ACC team can beat them except maybe FSU or Clemson. The only chink in the armor so to speak is a defense that really takes chances with blitzes and is prone to giving up big plays. When the Miami quarterback had time, which was not that often, he completed passes that were for big chunks of yardage. The four Miami turnovers were too much to overcome even though they had a half time lead. As usual, canesinsight blamed the quarterback although the freshman tackle was repeatedly getting beat by Carolina defenders. Poor Mario. They are ready to fire him already. Somewhere, Manny is laughing and counting his money. All of which is to say, we are not "winning out" which will be put to rest next week against the Tar Heels.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I will regret posting this observation but after watching Miami and UNC I am convinced that UNC is the real deal. I don't think any ACC team can beat them except maybe FSU or Clemson. The only chink in the armor so to speak is a defense that really takes chances with blitzes and is prone to giving up big plays. When the Miami quarterback had time, which was not that often, he completed passes that were for big chunks of yardage. The four Miami turnovers were too much to overcome even though they had a half time lead. As usual, canesinsight blamed the quarterback although the freshman tackle was repeatedly getting beat by Carolina defenders. Poor Mario. They are ready to fire him already. Somewhere, Manny is laughing and counting his money. All of which is to say, we are not "winning out" which will be put to rest next week against the Tar Heels.
I think UNC and Miami are both good teams, but Miami has been turnover-prone. UNC's defense is improved from last year, but they did not play like an elite team against Miami in my opinion. They beat Miami by 10 points at home. Considering Miami fumbled in the process of scoring a TD, as well as throwing interceptions in the red zone, the game could have easily gone the other way had Miami protected the football.
Regardless, UNC is in the top tier of the conference, just like 2022. Last year they got blown out by Clemson. Not sure anyone is going to dominate them this year, but I will be surprised if they win the conference.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I just want you to know that every time tech fans start to think like this, we immediately lose and reality hits. This BC game is a huge trap game.
To be fair, it’s probably the football team thinking like this that causes the football team to lose. Not the fans. We’re allowed/supposed to think like this!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think UNC and Miami are both good teams, but Miami has been turnover-prone. UNC's defense is improved from last year, but they did not play like an elite team against Miami in my opinion. They beat Miami by 10 points at home. Considering Miami fumbled in the process of scoring a TD, as well as throwing interceptions in the red zone, the game could have easily gone the other way had Miami protected the football.
Regardless, UNC is in the top tier of the conference, just like 2022. Last year they got blown out by Clemson. Not sure anyone is going to dominate them this year, but I will be surprised if they win the conference.
I see your point. There is plenty of time for UNC to revert to form but they just seemed tougher and better coached in that Miami game. Having a couple of good running backs helps.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Delete this post. I don't even remember who we are playing. We are playing BC this week. Thank goodness. I think we can win this game if we give Haynes time to throw the ball and be tough in the trenches. We will see.