Backdoor ACC Championship Game?

Johnson_buzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Hear me out tech fans we are 2-1 in acc play thus far with a close L against louisville, and W vs Miami and Wake.
That Miami game could very well propel this team with new found confidence.
The rest of the schedule goes
BC- W, Have to contain mobile QB
NC- W/L, Mac brown can not beat us, good team probably toughest acc opponent, At Bobby Dodd might be the biggest home game in a while.
at Virginia- W, Hopefully we learned from BG game, take care of business
at Clemson- W, Athletic big strong but this is a broken clemson team. still a hard game, if we can beat mami we can beat clemson.
syracuse- W, Solid QB solid team but we are far better in my opinion.
Athens community college/Clark county jail- Welp maybe a miracle.
This is a good Tech team that has played some challenging teams through the first 6 games. the rest of our ACC schedule is absolutely winnable. We need some help but it is a possibility

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The Jackets have the capability to beat any other ACC team left on the schedule on a given day (provided Clemson is having a down day when we play them), but it's obviously a long shot.

Agreed. UVA and BC should be wins. Syracuse should be a close game that we can win if we play well (ala Wake Forest) UNC has a history of playing down to us despite talent differential. Clemson is as beatable as they are likely to get. That said, the odds of us beating either UNC or Clemson are small right now, but not zero.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Hear me out tech fans we are 2-1 in acc play thus far with a close L against louisville, and W vs Miami and Wake.
That Miami game could very well propel this team with new found confidence.
The rest of the schedule goes
BC- W, Have to contain mobile QB
NC- W/L, Mac brown can not beat us, good team probably toughest acc opponent, At Bobby Dodd might be the biggest home game in a while.
at Virginia- W, Hopefully we learned from BG game, take care of business
at Clemson- W, Athletic big strong but this is a broken clemson team. still a hard game, if we can beat mami we can beat clemson.
syracuse- W, Solid QB solid team but we are far better in my opinion.
Athens community college/Clark county jail- Welp maybe a miracle.
This is a good Tech team that has played some challenging teams through the first 6 games. the rest of our ACC schedule is absolutely winnable. We need some help but it is a possibility
Even if we win out in the ACC, we would need FSU (or Duke probably) to lose at least one or Louisville to lose one more for us to be in the game. I'm not sure how the tiebreaker would go with FSU (or Duke) with only 1 loss each. Here's the tiebreaker rules:

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams
  2. Win-percentage versus all common opponents
  3. Win-percentage versus common opponents based on their order of finish and proceeding through other common opponents based upon their order of finish
  4. Combined win-percentage of conference opponents
  5. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games
  6. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or Commissioner’s designee

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
Just here to see if anyone is really thinking we are a ACC championship caliber team.
This is a team that really should be 5-1 barring self inflicted, gut wrenching mistakes. I think that no ACC team, but maybe FSU, truly outclasses us at the level that Clemson of past years and UGA of now years has.

slugboy

Staff member
UVA and BC have every reason to be close. Both are starved for wins. Syracuse may be playing for bowl eligibility (still).

We need a [let’s win two games in a row first].gif

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as we play like a crappy team at home, and 3 of the 5 remaining ACC games are at home, I see the ACC Championship Game as nothing more than a pipe dream. I see a 5-3 conference record as our ceiling. I hope our boys catch fire and beat that record.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
My by opponent analysis of what a miracle season would look like and how.

UNC- probably the best they’ve in a very long time. People here say we “own” them, but UNC seems to be very in tune with their scheme right now. McCollum is a nightmare, Maye is at his best, they finally have a solid run game and the best defense in UNC recent history to my knowledge. I think we would need another Miami type game where we get 3+ turnovers to stay in it.

BC- We need to beat BC so that Bobby Dodd has a little fire it in it for UNC. BC’s qb can REALLY move, which is something GT has struggled to handle in recent years from my understanding. With our offense clicking, we can hopefully take them down in a shootout as their defense is bottom tier on paper.

UVA- IF we beat BC and UNC, the following game at UVA could really be where GT gets on the map. I would argue our rush defense is our weakest point, but luckily UVA averages bottom tier with under 100 rushing yards per game.
Also, William and Mary was able to run the ball almost 150 yards on UVA, so I would hope our numbers triumph that and more. Once Williams is healthy again, I except to Jamal Haynes to do nothing but build at RB. That kid is outstanding for joining the RB room right before the season started.

Clemson- I fear has the muscle to run it down our throats. They got over 200 yards on the ground vs wake forest, and I would say our defense is comparable. Their ranking doesn’t show it, but this a good team that will likely be back in the ranks and stay there. It wouldn’t be a “miracle” win, but we would need to fire on every cylinder alongside lucky breaks. I need to watch their game with WF, but hopefully we take notes on how they held them to 17 points.

Cuse- Same type of win as BC, but probably harder. They have a solid defense. Their QB Shrader is dangerous, but has been really screwing up as of lately. Hope he stays in said rut.

Filthy Dawgs- I’m and Auburn grad/fan, and almost got to see it happen the other week. But Auburn has something we don’t; a very strong defense. Our only hope would be our fast receivers getting open to aid in the shootout of a lifetime. We would need to replace Singleton’s Gatorade with the Gold Koolaid of a thousand grouchy old tech fans. Bobby Dodd is overdue for a miracle, and that is what it would take. Luckily, Carson Beck looks like feather plucked goose so worst case scenerio we can emphasize that to our UGA acquaintances.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
BC- We need to beat BC so that Bobby Dodd has a little fire it in it for UNC. BC’s qb can REALLY move, which is something GT has struggled to handle in recent years from my understanding. With our offense clicking, we can hopefully take them down in a shootout as their defense is bottom tier on paper.
I think the UNC game is going to be a night game. If we can beat BC next week, Bobby Dodd is going to be rocking for that game.